[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Thomas Davis at LB

Randall

Posted on Thu, Mar. 30, 2006

Q&A With John Fox

PAT YASINSKAS

Staff Writer

ORLANDO, Fla. - John Fox spoke almost continuously for one hour and seven minutes and never once said, "It is what it is."

So what was it?

This is the offseason version of the coach of the Carolina Panthers. The dancing around questions about injuries and strategy, so common in the regular season, was absent. As he had breakfast Wednesday at the NFL's annual spring meeting, Fox spoke candidly with the Observer's Pat Yasinskas about his high hopes for linebacker Thomas Davis and running back DeShaun Foster, the upcoming draft and a variety of other topics.

Here are the highlights:

Q. After the departures of Will Witherspoon and Brandon Short, how do you look at the outside linebacker spots? We still haven't decided yet who will play where. But as far as the move (Davis) from safety up to linebacker, that's a decision we've made. Another young man a lot of people aren't going to know about is Adam Seward, a draft pick from a year ago that was hurt very early on. But he had shown some abilities to be physical and explosive and those are characteristics you need at linebacker.

That's an area where we'll continue to look in free agency as we move forward and also target in the draft.

Q. Injuries forced you to move Davis between safety and linebacker last season. Did that make it difficult on him as a rookie? If anything, we did him an injustice moving him back and forth. It's a team game and we've got to do what's best for the team. That might have hurt his growth, but he's a guy we're counting on doing some big things this year. Our belief right now is that his best position is linebacker.

Q. A lot of fans wanted you to pursue a big-name running back. Can you explain the decision to re-sign Foster? Going into free agency, we had to choose (from) Shaun Alexander, Edgerrin James and DeShaun Foster. After evaluating those three, we went with DeShaun Foster. That's what was best for us. If we didn't sign him, somebody else would have and it would have taken a little extra room off the cap to go sign one of those two other guys. Both those guys are older than DeShaun. Injuries are always a concern with all players. But we think, when he's healthy, he's a young top-of-the-line back.

Q. How does Eric Shelton (who missed his rookie season with an injury) factor in? We've still got to see. We've invested a second-round pick in him. He's a big, physical guy and he spent the year going to our meetings and stuff, and he's worked to get himself mentally and physically ready for this season. He's a guy not a lot of people know about that we hope can make an impact for us.

Q. Are you still looking for another running back? We'll continue to look. If somebody comes available, there are a lot of things that can happen. Somebody might try to unload somebody in a trade, and you've got the draft. I still believe in this league that you build through the draft. We'll continue to look in that area.

Q. As you look ahead at the draft class, what stands out? I think there are a lot of great linebackers. It's one of the better linebacker groups I've seen at the top. Unfortunately, we're not at the top. But it's pretty deep. I like the DB group this year. I don't think the receiver group is as strong as it's been the last couple of years.

The O-line is always in the eyes of the beholder, but I think it's pretty good.

Q. Any possibility of Mark Fields (who missed last season with Hodgkin's disease) returning? In the discussions I've had with the medical people, the impression I'm getting is that might not be in Mark's best interest. I'm not a cancer expert, but I would never do anything to jeopardize his health. I talk to Mark, but not really about him coming back.

Q. You created a stir at this meeting last year when you said Travelle Wharton would be your left tackle. After having him there for a season, do you plan any change? I don't see much shifting on our offensive line other than the center position. We think Evan Mathis and Geoff Hangartner grew last year in reserve roles. They didn't play much, but they practiced every day and we saw them grow a lot. I don't see us moving Travelle or Jordan Gross, and I don't see us moving Mike Wahle.

I think I said that back in January, and then right after Will left in FA.    :D  Just ask Panther Dave.  :D

1397411[/snapback]

:D I saw that one coming a mile away.

:D I saw that one coming a mile away.

1397419[/snapback]

As I remember that jovial discussion Dave relied on team depth charts and Sarge kept saying they will change.

And the draft could change everything even more.

As I remember that jovial discussion Dave relied on team depth charts and Sarge kept saying they will change.

And the draft could change everything even more.

1397508[/snapback]

davis is starting at WLB next yr, dude could be a top 5 WLB by seasons end. Just needs his shot, and apparently Fox is going to give it to him.

davis is starting at WLB next yr, dude could be a top 5 WLB by seasons end. Just needs his shot, and apparently Fox is going to give it to him.

1397518[/snapback]

Top 5 would be nice. I hope so. That's why I drafted him in the one IDP league I'm in.