[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

620 AM reporting Favre news conference Today

DaFreak

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa. Something tells me he's retiring. I was expecting to hear his decision on Sunday. For it to come earlier like this just doesn't seem to be a positive sign.

Plus, the relationship between Brett and the management appears to be strained already. I heard him say something on TV this morning like, "If I don't give them an answer by Saturday, what are they going to do? Cut me?"

Either way, I'll be watching. :D

Whoa. Something tells me he's retiring. I was expecting to hear his decision on Sunday. For it to come earlier like this just doesn't seem to be a positive sign.

Plus, the relationship between Brett and the management appears to be strained already. I heard him say something on TV this morning like, "If I don't give them an answer by Saturday, what are they going to do? Cut me?"

Either way, I'll be watching. :D

1396460[/snapback]

What are they doing in free agency? Waiting for bargain basement players is about all I see.

What are they doing in free agency? Waiting for bargain basement players is about all I see.

1396479[/snapback]

With all the money they have it is really disappointing to see them sign no one this offseason. Yes, Billy Cundiff is a no one/nothing sign with the cap room they have. And if Favre retires they will have even more money under the cap. Maybe they will surprise everyone and draft Vince Young.

1396479[/snapback]

Looking at the Packers' home page, they have a poll:

Which free agent signing will have the biggest impact:

Marc Boerigter

Billy Cundiff

Some other guy I've never heard of, Ben Thomas or something

They were very agressive this off-season, I guess!

I think Favre will say at this news coference that he will make a decision in a few days. As a Packer fan I hate to say this, but, Favre is a media paid friend and loves all this attention (regardless of what he says publicly). Because once this ends he will go back to being a redneck hillbilly driving a tractor and drinking a beer.

My gut feel is that he will come back next year because he does care about Marino's records he is so close to breaking.

Favre: 'I don't know if I will play this year'

Packer discounts report of Saturday deadline, says it would be final season

Updated: 11:11 a.m. ET March 31, 2006

Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre told the Sun Herald of South Mississippi that he is still undecided about returning for a 16th season in the NFL and also said an ESPN report that he had to decide was incorrect.

Favre also said that if he does return, it would be his last season.

"I don't know if I will play this year or not," he said. "Even Deanna is ready for my decision. If I do play this year, it will be my last. There's no doubt about that."

Story continues below ?

advertisement

Favre also denied ESPN's report of a Saturday deadline by the Packers.

"That is not true," he told the Sun Herald. "If I don't tell them by Saturday, what will they do, cut me?

"We have talked the last month and there are some things that I have to sort out. If they don't come together, I guess I won't play. I don't know if my decision will be made by Saturday."

Favre, speaking to the Sun Herald while appearing with Steve McNair in Bay Saint Louis, Miss., to award grants to local high school and nonprofit football organizations after Hurricane Katrina, said he still has the "itch" to play.

"Last season was a different circumstance with Deanna (winning a battle with breast cancer)," Favre said. "I do have the itch, just a different one. It's not about the money and I would walk away from a lot of it. It's about winning football games. I want to come back and win."

But Favre, who led the Packers to a Super Bowl victory in 1997 and has won three NFL MVP awards, said the team must get better players.

"I still believe I can play," he told the Sun Herald. "But I can't be content being 4-12 again. My concern is how good of a team we can have. Last season, expectations were high and it was a bad situation. If we can't compete at a high level, I can walk away and my legacy will speak for itself.

"All teams have injuries, so you deal with them," he added. "There are days that I get up and I'm ready to play again. Then, there are days when I would like to retire. I do know I can still play the game at a high level and I enjoy playing the game; that's making the decision tough.

"But you're only as good as the team around you. If I walk away, I walk away happy and I've accomplished a lot."

Packers head coach Mike McCarthy said he believes quarterback Favre will return for another season rather than retire, but he wants a decision by Saturday, the Wisconsin State Journal reported Thursday.

Surviving a 75-foot ski fall, enduring March Sadness, losing your head over rhythmic gymnastics and more.

"I feel like it's Groundhog Day. I've been answering the question the same way for two months," McCarthy said. "The bonus, that's pretty much the goal we're trying to set (for a decision). Obviously, you keep moving back the date, (but) there's a reason behind the date. So, we would definitely like to know as soon as possible."

McCarthy also said that, based on his conversation with Favre at the star's Hattiesburg, Miss., estate earlier this offseason, he thinks the star will play another season.

"I think it's important when you talk to people that you have a chance to look in their eyes," McCarthy said. "I could be dead wrong, (but) I've always felt that he still wanted to play."

© 2006 NBC Sports.com

Looking at the Packers' home page, they have a poll:

Which free agent signing will have the biggest impact:

Marc Boerigter

Billy Cundiff

Some other guy I've never heard of, Ben Thomas or something

They were very agressive this off-season, I guess!

1396509[/snapback]

TT has said he doesn't want to overpay. There are young free agents that could be signed, but he doesn't seem to be going after them.

Free agents. TT wake up! Time to get out of bed.

As for Favre after retiring he may do something in Nascar.

Edited by Randall

"But you're only as good as the team around you. If I walk away, I walk away happy and I've accomplished a lot."

What is this? If he's not happy with the free agents signings then he won't come back? Isn't that a "I'm taking my ball and going home" mentality? Either play because you love the game, or retire.

I would think some of his teamates would be questioning this comment as well.

What is this?  If he's not happy with the free agents signings then he won't come back?  Isn't that a "I'm taking my ball and going home" mentality?  Either play because you love the game, or retire.

1396748[/snapback]

I'm not sure He isn't alone. Fans wonder what they are doing while hoping they do have a plan.

Free agents from Reggie White(under Wolf) to Ben Taylor/Manuel(under TT). Look at the draft last year. Look at who they lost this year and who they got in. They keep getting worse not better.

1396460[/snapback]

The era has to end. I might actually be a positive for the organization. At least they can now do their jobs instead of sitting there trying to make a guess as to whether or not they have a QB (some might say that is an important position to have filled for an organization).

What is this?  If he's not happy with the free agents signings then he won't come back?  Isn't that a "I'm taking my ball and going home" mentality?  Either play because you love the game, or retire.

1396748[/snapback]

You have to look at it from Favre's point of view. He knows the team is probably better with him at QB at this point, but he's at the end of his career. He doesn't want a repeat of last season where he tried to do it all (with no success in the process) and got killed while doing so. He doesn't want to be take the beating he did last year. He's earned that right for giving his all every game for GB for his entire career.