[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vikings not going to match on Burleson

Bonehand

Vikings say they won't match

The Vikings informed media in the Minneapolis area that they will not match the Seahawks' offer to WR Nate Burleson. The Minneapolis Star Tribune is reporting on its Web site that Rob Brzezinski, Vikings vice president, has confirmed that the team will allow Burleson to become a Seahawk. The Vikings acknowledged that Burleson preferred to play in Seattle, his hometown. The Vikings apparently offered more money than Burleson is likely to receive in Seattle (this is basically a four-year, $14.5 million deal at heart), but that is not confirmed. This is the best-case scenario for Seattle at this point because the team did not want to get caught up in any challenges the Vikings might have thrown their way (in terms of the poison pills associated with this deal).

Burleson's agent, Ken Sarnoff, has not been told anything by the Vikings at this time. But I would not expect Brzezinski to change his mind, so we're on pretty solid ground here. Said Sarnoff: "It's a dream come true for Nate that seven years after being named the Seattle high school athlete of the year, he now plays for the Seahawks."

I'm thinking Monday might not be a bad day for a press conference. We'll keep you posted.

Posted by mikesando Mar 31, 2006 3:35 pm

Vikings say they won't match

The Vikings informed media in the Minneapolis area that they will not match the Seahawks' offer to WR Nate Burleson. The Minneapolis Star Tribune is reporting on its Web site that Rob Brzezinski, Vikings vice president, has confirmed that the team will allow Burleson to become a Seahawk. The Vikings acknowledged that Burleson preferred to play in Seattle, his hometown. The Vikings apparently offered more money than Burleson is likely to receive in Seattle (this is basically a four-year, $14.5 million deal at heart), but that is not confirmed. This is the best-case scenario for Seattle at this point because the team did not want to get caught up in any challenges the Vikings might have thrown their way (in terms of the poison pills associated with this deal).

Burleson's agent, Ken Sarnoff, has not been told anything by the Vikings at this time. But I would not expect Brzezinski to change his mind, so we're on pretty solid ground here. Said Sarnoff: "It's a dream come true for Nate that seven years after being named the Seattle high school athlete of the year, he now plays for the Seahawks."

I'm thinking Monday might not be a bad day for a press conference. We'll keep you posted.

Posted by mikesando Mar 31, 2006 3:35 pm

1397791[/snapback]

To the Vikes front office:

Take that and your pussified poison pills and stick it up your arses! :D

Vikings acknowledged that Burleson preferred to play in Seattle, his hometown. The Vikings apparently offered more money than Burleson is likely to receive in Seattle (this is basically a four-year, $14.5 million deal at heart

1397791[/snapback]

ha, that's pretty good. the hawks had a pretty good player snatched away from them with this poison pill horsechit by the vikes. but once that happened they turned around and played it beautifully. the vikes definitely wanted to keep burleson, and definitely in the 4 year, 14.5 neighborhood.

To the Vikes front office:

Take that and your pussified poison pills and stick it up your arses!   :D

1397888[/snapback]

If the Vikings chose to challenge the poison pills I believe they would have won both challenges. Neither pill was a boon to the player. The first that he be paid LESS than the another position set on a team. Ridiculous. For these type of items to be considered a principal term of an agreement they have to shown to benefit the player and proposed as such. Think of the Hutchinson deal which looked at making him the HIGHEST paid OL on a team. The other poison pill was purely ludicrous and gave no financial incentive to the player. I have a hard time seeing how any arbiter would have ruled in the Seahawks favor in either case. Obviously to only tender Burleson at a 3rd round price, the Vikings weren't all the enamored with him to keep him anyways.

But anyway, we'll take Steve Hutchinson and a 3rd round pick for Nate Burleson any day of the week. The Walrus and company sure showed us. :D

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

Vikings | Brzezinski calls Seattle offer sheet a sham

Fri, 31 Mar 2006 21:14:12 -0800

Jeff Zulgad, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski called the Seattle Seahawks offer sheet that was accepted by WR Nate Burleson and not matched by the Vikings a sham. "There is a vast difference between our deal and Burleson's," said Brzezinski. "The Hutchinson (OG Steve Hutchinson) deal is of legitimate benefit to the player. He has a contract with us where it could vest; the Seattle deal is a total sham, and the trigger is a sham." The Vikings considered challenging the Seahawks offer due to the poison pills contained in it, but they decided not to. While Hutchinson's deal will guarantee him $16 million, Burleson is assured $5.25 million. In reality, his contract will be worth $14.5 million over four years. Brzezinski said the Vikings offered Burleson more money than what Seattle gave him, but it was clear Burleson wanted to play in Seattle.

:D:D

It's Official! Burleson Gone

Nate Burleson By: Viking Update Staff

Date: Mar 31, 2006

The Vikings have announced they will not match the offer sheet to Nate Burleson.

Although the Vikings had until 11 p.m. Central time Friday to match or decline the offer made by the Seahawks on Nate Burleson, VU has confirmed that the team has declined to match the offer and Burleson is officially a Seahawk.

Although the deal was reported as seven years for $49 million, in actuality it a four-year deal worth $4.5 million with $5.2 million of the deal guaranteed.

By declining to match, the Vikings receive a third-round pick from Seattle -- No. 95 overall. As a result, the Vikings have five picks in the top 100 -- Nos. 17, 48, 51, 83 and 95.

If the Vikings chose to challenge the poison pills I believe they would have won both challenges. Neither pill was a boon to the player. The first that he be paid LESS than the another position set on a team. Ridiculous.

1398068[/snapback]

How is this ridicolous? If your number 2 receiver is getting paid more than your number 1 running back, your team probably isn't going to fair all that well (see the Vikings this coming season.) So while it is not a financial benefit, it basically says either keep the team competitive or pay me everything guaranteed, your choice. Hey, how about that, a player that puts some consideration on being competitive and not everything on money.

The other poison pill was purely ludicrous and gave no financial incentive to the player. I have a hard time seeing how any arbiter would have ruled in the Seahawks favor in either case. Obviously to only tender Burleson at a 3rd round price, the Vikings weren't all the enamored with him to keep him anyways.

But anyway, we'll take Steve Hutchinson and a 3rd round pick for Nate Burleson any day of the week. The Walrus and company sure showed us.  :D

1398068[/snapback]

Sorry Capn, I sense some huge homerism here. First, Hutchinson was already gone so Seattle got Burleson for a third round pick. And the absurd manner they got Burleson was sweet revenge and an FU to the Vikings and the wake up shot to the league. The Vikings vice president has his panties in a knot, so it meant something.

The second poison pill would have stood or the Vikings would have challenged this. You can't tell me they are not worried about having Robinson and that rookie kid as their #1 and #2 WR's. As far as not being that enamored with Burleson.....from the above article:

The Vikings apparently offered more money than Burleson is likely to receive in Seattle (this is basically a four-year, $14.5 million deal at heart), but that is not confirmed

and Brzezinski said the Vikings offered Burleson more money than what Seattle gave him,

Edited by bushwacked

I mean, seriously, Hutch and the Vikes deserve each other. It is going to be so much fun watching the both of them suffer for the near future!!! Minnesota ain't gone anywhere since I been alive, I find anything they do pretty comical.

If I were a Vikes fan I wouldn't be quite so stoked. You just lost a good young player at an important position, and acquired the second to last pick in the third round in exchange. You also threw away a gazillion dollars of guaranteed money for a f-ing left guard!! I mean, Hutch is good, but the only reason he stands out is that the talent at the position is so crappy, mainly because, well, all the best lineman play tackle.

I mean, seriously, Hutch and the Vikes deserve each other.  It is going to be so much fun watching the both of them suffer for the near future!!!  Minnesota ain't gone anywhere since I been alive, I find anything they do pretty comical. 

1398396[/snapback]

Well I am older and remember them going to the Super Bowl and losing there. Since Bud Grant left and they started playing in a dome they haven't been able to get back.

I mean, seriously, Hutch and the Vikes deserve each other.  It is going to be so much fun watching the both of them suffer for the near future!!!  Minnesota ain't gone anywhere since I been alive, I find anything they do pretty comical. 

If I were a Vikes fan I wouldn't be quite so stoked.  You just lost a good young player at an important position, and acquired the second to last pick in the third round in exchange.  You also threw away a gazillion dollars of guaranteed money for a f-ing left guard!!  I mean, Hutch is good, but the only reason he stands out is that the talent at the position is so crappy, mainly because, well, all the best lineman play tackle.

1398396[/snapback]

I cant tell if this post reeks more of ignorance or sour grapes.

You want to talk comical? OK, you're obviously still jacked up about the Seabags making the Bowl last year, and I realize you are young. But seriously, you are not trying to suggest the Seahawks have a better history than the Vikings, are you? As far as that goes, neither of us should be saying anything til Minnesota or Seattle wins something.

As far as the Hutchinson/Burleson stuff, you can try to spin it however you want. The reality is the Vikings got the better of it and I think most people can see that. I will take a proven guy on the the O-line over a young WR with some ability but inexperience any day. I am not buying that the Viking's honchos are that sad to see Nate go, either. They certainly could have made sure he was going to be a Viking for years to come if they thought he posessed talent that couldnt be replaced.

So, if I was a Seahags fan, I wouldn't be too stoked, either. You just lost a key member of the group that paves the way for SA(and a third round pick to boot). What you're getting is a pretty decent but unspectacular young WR who had trouble with injuries last year and will likely never be a #1 guy. Is Engram still with the club? :D

Vikings | Brzezinski calls Seattle offer sheet a sham

Fri, 31 Mar 2006 21:14:12 -0800

Jeff Zulgad, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski called the Seattle Seahawks offer sheet that was accepted by WR Nate Burleson and not matched by the Vikings a sham. "There is a vast difference between our deal and Burleson's," said Brzezinski. "The Hutchinson (OG Steve Hutchinson) deal is of legitimate benefit to the player. He has a contract with us where it could vest; the Seattle deal is a total sham, and the trigger is a sham." The Vikings considered challenging the Seahawks offer due to the poison pills contained in it, but they decided not to. While Hutchinson's deal will guarantee him $16 million, Burleson is assured $5.25 million. In reality, his contract will be worth $14.5 million over four years. Brzezinski said the Vikings offered Burleson more money than what Seattle gave him, but it was clear Burleson wanted to play in Seattle.

That is all the evidence anyone needs to see that the Vikings are really annoyed about having their oh-so-clever little ploy turned back on them in spades. Like everyone else, the stupid little man must know that Seattle were deliberately waving a finger at the Vikes, yet still he blusters on.

It doesn't seem to matter about changes of ownership, coach or whatever, the Vikings always seem to be petty, cheap and classless.

:D

If the Vikings had really been that interested in keeping Burleson around the could have. They could have kept Burleson simply by throwing a first-round tender offer on him – the difference being $1.55 million for a first-round tender as opposed to the $712,000 offered for a third-round tender that they did offer.

But if it makes the Seahawks feel better thinking they stole him from us....have fun with that. :D

I cant tell if this post reeks more of ignorance or sour grapes.

You want to talk comical? OK, you're obviously still jacked up about the Seabags making the Bowl last year, and I realize you are young. But seriously, you are not trying to suggest the Seahawks have a better history than the Vikings, are you? As far as that goes, neither of us should be saying anything til Minnesota or Seattle wins something.

As far as the Hutchinson/Burleson stuff, you can try to spin it however you want. The reality is the Vikings got the better of it and I think most people can see that. I will take a proven guy on the the O-line over a young WR with some ability but inexperience any day. I am not buying that the Viking's honchos are that sad to see Nate go, either. They certainly could have made sure he was going to be a Viking for years to come if they thought he posessed talent that couldnt be replaced.

So, if I was a Seahags fan, I wouldn't be too stoked, either. You just lost a key member of the group that paves the way for SA(and a third round pick to boot). What you're getting is a pretty decent but unspectacular young WR who had trouble with injuries last year and will likely never be a #1 guy. Is Engram still with the club?  :D

1398547[/snapback]

don't forget that the extra money you guys gave Hutchinson freed up dough for Julian Peterson and Ty Law is coming to town this weekend. The Vikes vastly overpaid for a left guard and a very late 3rd round pick. Its gonna handcuff em. They're stuck with a huge salary at left guard with several holes they now cannot fill. I honestly can't see how anyone could reasonably deduct that the Seahawks got the bad end of this one. If the Seahawks end up with Law or even Woodson, the Vikes just got raped, and with the Vikes help, the Seahawks did better than they ever could have imagined. We've got among the best OL depth in the NFL, losing a guard ain't gonna hurt.

Previously, I was not trying to say anything about the Vikes OLD OLD OLD history of success. But you've got to admit they've been Oakland Raider type comedy for the past several years. To me this just adds. Any offensive lineman that goes for that much money darn well better switch to tackle.

Edited by Seahawks21

:D

If the Seahawks had really been  that interested in keeping Hutchinson around the could have. They  could  have kept Hutchinson simply by throwing the franchise tag on him – the difference being 6.9 Million for a franchise tag as opposed to the $6.2 million offered for a transition tag that they did offer.

But if it makes the Vikings feel better thinking they stole him from us....have fun with that. :D

1398629[/snapback]

Funny, the whole quote works that way too :D

Edited by NoSupe4You

If the Vikings had really been  that interested in keeping Burleson around the could have.

1398629[/snapback]

So the Vikings planned on going into next season with a drunk who only returned kickoffs (up until the end of the season) and a 2nd year player as their starting WR's in the 2006 season?

So the Vikings planned on going into next season with a drunk who only returned kickoffs (up until the end of the season) and a 2nd year player as their starting WR's in the 2006 season?

1398638[/snapback]

Not hardly! We still have Marcus Robinson and Travis Taylor. :D

There's still a whole lot of off-season left and a draft on the horizon.

If I were asked whether I would take Burleson or a 3rd round draft pick, I would have chosen Burleson. But if I were in a head coaches spot starting to build my first team, I would definetly see the value in an extra draft pick my first year out of the gate.

Not hardly! We still have Marcus Robinson and Travis Taylor. :D

1398644[/snapback]

Are those guys the #1 and 2's?

I mean they both kind of define the posessiton role don't they? K-Rob is definitely talented but has never really proven that he can keep his head in the game for a whole season. Williamson is also talented but he is coming off a rookie year and there are many a first round receiver busts.

Edited by bushwacked

don't forget that the extra money you guys gave Hutchinson freed up dough for Julian Peterson and Ty Law is coming to town this weekend.  The Vikes vastly overpaid for a left guard and a very late 3rd round pick.  Its gonna handcuff em.  They're stuck with a huge salary at left guard with several holes they now cannot fill. I honestly can't see how anyone could reasonably deduct that the Seahawks got the bad end of this one.  If the Seahawks end up with Law or even Woodson, the Vikes just got raped, and with the Vikes help, the Seahawks did better than they ever could have imagined.  We've got among the best OL depth in the NFL, losing a guard ain't gonna hurt. 

Previously, I was not trying to say anything about the Vikes OLD OLD OLD history of success.  But you've got to admit they've been Oakland Raider type comedy for the past several years.  To me this just adds.  Any offensive lineman that goes for that much money darn well better switch to tackle.

1398630[/snapback]

The contract has only 16 million guaranteed, of which most comes off the board after this season...anyone who knows anything about the contract knows it is a good one for a player of his caliber.

Now, I agree that what the Vikings did was a bit underhanded, but Brzezinski has been warning the NFL to fix it the past couple years. It was only a matter of time and he saw a chance for the Vikings to benefit because of it. Bad rule (think tuck rule) doesn't mean you blame the team benefitting from it, you blame the system.

Now on to the WRs: Burleson will be a good WR for the Seahawks, no doubt, and I wish the Vikings would have kept him, but the logic isn't that far off. I don't think that Burleson is that much better than Travis Taylor. Taylor didn't perform that badly last year (50/604/4) and you never know what he could do opposite Moss (like when Nate put up his big numbers). Koren has WR1 capabilities and Williamson will be a WR1 after this season. The Vikings will be fine at the WR position. If things don't work out, then they have the money next year to go get a WR. They aren't Super Bowl caliber this season anyway, but I think they are playoff caliber.

How is this ridicolous?  If your number 2 receiver is getting paid more than your number 1 running back, your team probably isn't going to fair all that well (see the Vikings this coming season.)  So while it is not a financial benefit, it basically says either keep the team competitive or pay me everything guaranteed, your choice.  Hey, how about that, a player that puts some consideration on being competitive and not everything on money.

1398347[/snapback]

I doubt that you really believe what you just typed. How do you explain the number of games the Burleson plays in Minnesota as a factor in his benefit? Total BS.