[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pickles and Pickling

georgemoe

Got into pickling last year after seeing an Alton Brown episode. I like both sweet and sour pickles. Alton's Kinda Sorta Sour recipe is pretty good. I'll be making the Firecracker recipe tonight.

Anyone have any good pickling recipes?

Kinda Sorta Sours

1/2 onion, thinly sliced

2 medium cucumbers, thinly sliced

1 cup water

1 cup cider vinegar

1/2 cup champagne vinegar

1/2 cup sugar

2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons kosher salt

1 teaspoon mustard seeds

1/4 teaspoon turmeric

1 teaspoon celery seeds

1 teaspoon pickling spice

4 whole garlic cloves, smashed

Combine the onion and cucumber slices in a clean spring-top jar.

Combine the remaining ingredients, with the exception of the garlic, in a non-reactive saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 4 full minutes to wake up the spice flavors.

Add the garlic cloves to the jar. Slowly and gently pour the pickling liquid over the onion and cucumber slices, filling to the top of the jar.

Cool to room temperature. Top off the pickles with any remaining pickling liquid and refrigerate.

Firecrackers

1/2 pound mini carrots

1 cup water

1 cup sugar

1 1/2 cups cider vinegar

1 teaspoon onion powder

1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds

1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt

1 teaspoon chili flakes

2 dried chilies

Place carrots in a spring-top glass jar. Bring the water, sugar, cider vinegar, onion powder, mustard seeds, salt, and chili flakes to a boil in a non-reactive saucepan.

Boil for 4 minutes.

Slowly pour the hot pickling liquid over the carrots, filling the jar to the top. Place the chilies in the jar. Allow the carrots to cool before sealing. Refrigerate for 2 days up to 1 week.

Edited by georgemoe

For years I did pickles, beans, asparagus and just about anything else... ( the beans and asp are awesome... I make them hot)

But with 3 kids under five it was hard, this year im going to give it a try again used to can about 100 jars of something a year( caned venny is great also)

I usually just wing the ingredients

Never got to canning the carrots this weekend. Too much yard work. :D Actually a good thing because I'm prepping for my first veggy garden.

I'm gonna shoot to get it done tonight but I fear a certain NCAA game and 12 ouncers will get in way. :D

For years I did pickles, beans, asparagus and just about anything else... ( the beans and asp are awesome... I make them hot)

But with 3 kids under five it was hard,  this year im going to give it a try again used to can about 100 jars of something a year( caned venny is great also)

I usually just wing the ingredients

1400632[/snapback]

Care to share the asparagus recipe? They'd make a great garnish for bloody marys. :D

Care to share the asparagus recipe? They'd make a great garnish for bloody marys.  :D

1401098[/snapback]

usually just go with a standard pickling recipe( usually a little more vinegar and a little less water) and add some hot peppers to the jar... gives them a nice kick... just dont over heat them when canning they get mushy if u do..

I like to do them raw but some people cook them a little first

I can't stand pickles or anything pickled whatsoever! I've come to understand that it is actually vinegar that I am overly sensitive to. I also can't stand ketchup or any other condiments that include vinegar.

In kindergarten, my son's class made bread and butter pickles one day. They were incredible, and frankly, if a 5 year old can make them, how hard could it be? :D

Oh, and my grandfather used to make dilly beans (basically marinated green beans) from beans he'd grown during the summer. Ahhhhh, so good. My Papa was a cool guy. Moved from a big farm to a small ranch house in his later years. Had all kinds of veggies growing in and amongst the flowers along the driveway and in the back yard, etc. :D

Edited by Czarina

Never got to canning the carrots this weekend. Too much yard work.  :D  Actually a good thing because I'm prepping for my first veggy garden.

I'm gonna shoot to get it done tonight but I fear a certain NCAA game and 12 ouncers will get in way.  :D

1400705[/snapback]

Finally got the carrots done last night. Had three lbs of carrots so I just adjusted the other amounts. Way too much liquid. :D C'mon Alton!

I reserved the excess and will do some pickling cukes tonight with it. I'll report back in a week or so when I try the carrots. I've found with the pickles I've done you really need to wait a month or so for the best flavors.

• 15 years later...
On 4/10/2006 at 9:19 AM, loaf said:

just buy yourself a bottle of Bubbies

Best pickles I've had since Grandma passed away in '87. Bar none.

Speaking of Grandma's pickles, there's a place called Mickle's Pickles in Picayune, Ms that "stole the recipe from your grandmother." They have some of the best pickles around and my very favorite, the Crawpickles. They take their regular sweet, sliced original pickle, add in jalapenos & crawfish seasoning. The things are like crack to me. I could eat a whole jar as a snack.

Flavors (micklespickles.com)