[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Liklihood of trading down on draft day

Savage Beatings

There are always people saying that their team might try to trade up in the draft to get a certain targeted player, but considering the talent at the top of the draft this year, how likely is it that any of the top 10 teams would be willing to trade down this year?

I'm not sure, but possibly the Packers at #5?

I just think that they are not ready to make a legitimate run for the Championship right now, so why not trade down for a bunch of picks rather than taking one of the big names. Pure speculation on my part of course, but that's my question... which teams if any do you think would be willing to trade down?

Houston - they don't need Bush ,, they have a very decent Rb

they need OL men

1401416[/snapback]

I could see the Texans trying to move Davis, the coach sounded pretty enamored at the USC pro day. It's still pretty early to speculate, once players start coming off the board, then I expect to see some movement. I think the Vikes will stand pat, it would take a lot to move up to get one of the top 3 qb's. They'd be happy with a linebacker or maybe Deangelo Williams...winston justice would be nice to see as well.

I could see the Texans trying to move Davis, the coach sounded pretty enamored at the USC pro day.  It's still pretty early to speculate, once players start coming off the board, then I expect to see some movement.  I think the Vikes will stand pat, it would take a lot to move up to get one of the top 3 qb's. They'd be happy with a linebacker or maybe Deangelo Williams...winston justice would be nice to see as well.

1401599[/snapback]

I can see them trying, but it would take a lot of picks to move far. For the Jets to move up 2 spots the chart says they have to give up and 2nd and 3rd round picks. Possible.

If they don't I see them taking Bush and adding o linemen and then playing both he and Dom. If Bush looks sturdy enough then they could trade Dom later.

I'm not sure, but possibly the Packers at #5?

I just think that they are not ready to make a legitimate run for the Championship right now, so why not trade down for a bunch of picks rather than taking one of the big names.  Pure speculation on my part of course, but that's my question... which teams if any do you think would be willing to trade down?

1401389[/snapback]

I don't think the Packers will trade, being in the 5th spot is a good chance to get a blue chipper like Mario or Hawk - I don't think you pass up that oppurtunity.

Its very expensive to move up. The Vikings would have to give away all their picks to move up to #2. I don't think we will see any moves until after the 8th pick.

I can see them trying, but it would take a lot of picks to move far. For the Jets to move up 2 spots the chart says they have to give up and 2nd and 3rd round picks. Possible.

If they don't I see them taking Bush and adding o linemen and then playing both he and Dom. If Bush looks sturdy enough then they could trade Dom later.

1401606[/snapback]

I was thinking the same thing..They take Bush and try and trade Dom for a 2nd or 3rd.

I've always thought that there are more teams looking to move DOWN then up.

Teams just hate to give up draft picks even in lower rounds and teams usually stick pretty firmly to that chart. I'm sure New Orleans would trade down but I doubt they'll get an offer that matches the chart. I myself would go off the chart to help my team. If I'm in New Orleans shoes and the chart says to trade down to 4 it costs a the 4th pick, a 2nd rnd and a 3rd and say the Jets are only offering the 4th pick, a 2nd rnd and say a 6th rnd, I hold out as long as I can then take the trade. If I'm going to select Ferguson or Williams wouldn't I rather have Ferguson or Williams and 2nd and 6th round picks?? darn the chart - help your team. But teams rarely do that and for that reason I believe there will be a lot more talk about trades then trades especially near the top of the draft. Trades seem to be more active in the late 1st and 2nd round when players slide and people target them, the teams trading may have had their targets go off the board and occassionally teams are willing to trade their 2nd rnd pick plus next year's 1st for thehonor of selecting JP Losman or Kyle Boller.

I think that teams SERIOUSLY over value their picks next year, especially if they are in a rebuilding year next year.

Meaning, as Giants56 noted above, it seems that every year we see at least one team trade next years' picks at a significant discount to what they'd trade the same pick in this years' draft for... I mean, Atlanta traded the pick that BAL used for Jamal Lewis (#7 overall) the previous year for Reggie Kelly, TE. What an AWFUL use of a pick!

...so, if you know that you're not really going to win much of anything this year, trade down/out of a round in exchange for some great picks next year, use the extra coin on some good free agents, and load up on rookies next year...

...this year may be an exception though, as the draft board appears to be deeper than in other recent years...

Edited by muck

...so, if you know that you're not really going to win much of anything this year, trade down/out of a round in exchange for some great picks next year, use the extra coin on some good free agents, and load up on rookies next year...

1401715[/snapback]

Belichick kept a run of having extra picks each year going that way a few years ago. A great strategy in my opinion. Bobby Beathard, I remember, more than once traded his next year's 1st rnd pick for the current year's 2nd rnd pick. Why would you ever trade a second round pick for a first round pick? I guess these are the same people who pay off one credit card with another. Even my Giants when they made the Manning deal Accorsi said he was willing to give up the next year's 1st rnd pick instead of the current year's 2nd rnd pick. I would doubt San Diego would have made the trade that way but if that was the choice, good god what were they thinking?

I could definitely see the Packers trading down -- and at a relative discount. The team only has 5 total picks, which I'm sure will continue to bother the hell out of Ted Thompson.

Plus, the players available at #5 -- M. Williams and A. Hawk -- are elite, without a doubt, but neither of them would help this team all that much. We've got two decent ends and a good MLB. The better value for the Packers' needs would be in the middle of round 1.

I could definitely see the Packers trading down -- and at a relative discount. The team only has 5 total picks, which I'm sure will continue to bother the hell out of Ted Thompson.

Plus, the players available at #5 -- M. Williams and A. Hawk -- are elite, without a doubt, but neither of them would help this team all that much. We've got two decent ends and a good MLB. The better value for the Packers' needs would be in the middle of round 1.

1402030[/snapback]

I agree. Though I think Hawk would be CLEAR upgrade at MLB over Barnett, allowing him to move to WLB where I think he'd be a better fit.

I agree. Though I think Hawk would be CLEAR upgrade at MLB over Barnett, allowing him to move to WLB where I think he'd be a better fit.

1403297[/snapback]

There's no way you could say ANY college player is a "clear" upgrade over one of the most productive MLBs in the league. Would it surprise me if Hawk ends up being better? No. Is it clear? About as clear as Trev Alberts. :D

Swiss - You really think the Packers have two good DE's? Mario Williams is a game changer and the Packers would be idiots if they let him go. Dump Walker and a pick and move up to get Williams if possible. KGB is useless and overpaid.

I agree with Hawk - do not want him but

Id like to see Dallas move down personally.  from 13 to 30, the talent level is about the same.

1404539[/snapback]

Dallas is another team fond of hording picks. I wouldn't be surprised if they did move down.

I mean, Atlanta traded the pick that BAL used for Jamal Lewis (#7 overall) the previous year for Reggie Kelly, TE.  What an AWFUL use of a pick!

1401715[/snapback]

Remember though, Atlanta was just coming off their Superbowl year. Nobody predicted that Jamal Anderson would shred his knee the 2nd game of the season and effectively wreck the year for them. When that pick was traded, general consensus was it would end up being a 20th or later 1st round pick. Nobody figured it to be the 7th overall. If Reeves had had a crystal ball handy, no way he would've made that trade.

Houston - they don't need Bush ,, they have a very decent Rb

they need OL men

1401416[/snapback]

Ditto for the Lions though, if they were smart, they would try and make every effort to trade up and grab D’Brickashaw Ferguson. But who am I to suggest the Lions need an O-line and not a different QB? They should just continue filing through new, used, and old QB's until somehow they land a developed and credible quarterback that still gets smashed within 1 second after the snap. Then maybe they will look at the O-line issue... maybe. :D