[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

McNair asked to leave facility

juanruiz13

Tennessee Titans quarterback Steve McNair was asked to leave the team's training facility when he reported Monday for offseason workouts, his agent and team sources confirmed to ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

McNair was told by a team trainer that he would not be allowed to work out until his contract situation is resolved, according to James "Bus" Cook, who represents McNair.

"Steve was told that until he got his contract straightened out, he wasn't welcome at the facility," said Cook. "Heck, he's got his contract already straightened out and now he's trying to fulfill it by reporting for the offseason."

Cook said there had been no warning of the team's position. Titans sources said it was a decision was made by owner Bud Adams, who apparently fears that an offseason injury would make him liable for McNair's current contract.

Titans coach Jeff Fisher, who was in Los Angeles observing USC quarterback Matt Leinart in a private workout Monday, declined to elaborate but said, "Things got blown out of proportion. ... We'll get it straightened out."

McNair is scheduled to make $10 million in 2006, including a $1 million team penalty because the Titans declined to exercise a three-year option. His salary cap charge is almost $24 million, and the team is trying to get McNair to restructure his deal. It has been speculated that the team could release the quarterback if there is not a new contract in place in the near future.

"The reason his cap number is $24 million is because they kept asking him to restructure every year to create space," Cook said. "This guy has done everything for the team, and he has two or three really good years left. Now, they treat him like this."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2395953

That's nuckin' futs! Can you imagine if GB did something like this to Favre? The town of GB would charge the stadium. This is almost comparable. In other words, McNair, although no SBs, has arguably been the MVP of that team for a good part of the last decade.

Screw Bud Adams and his awful toupee.

I think insurance would cover 75-80% of his contract in case of injury, guess it's not worth the risk. My guess, Mcnair was told about all this before he just "showed up". This makes quite a statement and story, and it forces the Titans to get this resolved quickly...so they either have McNair, re-negotiate, or release him.

NFLPA will probably get involved if this is not settled soon.

1 man lockout :D

Edited by mggoilers

Wow! That is a strong statement to McNair. They are letting him know that he needs to get serious about re-negoiating his contract or they are prepared to move on without him. I think he can take a lesson from Eddie George. You cant hard ball the Titans. period.

I have thought for a while now that they should release McNair and draft a QB at 1.3. Let Volek start the season and work the rookie in toward the end of the year. If Volek produces a la Drew Brees, then leave him in as long as the Titans are in playoff contention. If not, or if the Titans get eliminated from a playoff berth, bring in the rookie. Makes sense to me...

That's nuckin' futs!  Can you imagine if GB did something like this to Favre?  The town of GB would charge the stadium.  This is almost comparable.  In other words, McNair, although no SBs, has arguably been the MVP of that team for a good part of the last decade.

1401758[/snapback]

No in Green Bay they would go to TT's house, Harlan's or whoever caued the problem. Since there is no owner they can't go there.

I wonder if McNair will refuse.

BTW that's why I drafted Volek in January. Need someone to fill in week 5. Hope either Billy or Brooks can do it.

Edited by Randall

You cant hard ball the Titans.  period.

1401896[/snapback]

It's idiotic. Remember when Hines Ward showed up to play without his contract being done? He was hailed as a hero because he just wanted to play for Pittsburgh. Now McNair does it, and the local idiots in Tennessee support the management? Morans.

Wow!  That is a strong statement to McNair.  They are letting him know that he needs to get serious about re-negoiating his contract or they are prepared to move on without him.  I think he can take a lesson from Eddie George.  You cant hard ball the Titans.  period.

I have thought for a while now that they should release McNair and draft a QB at 1.3.  Let Volek start the season and work the rookie in toward the end of the year.  If Volek produces a la Drew Brees, then leave him in as long as the Titans are in playoff contention.  If not, or if the Titans get eliminated from a playoff berth, bring in the rookie.  Makes sense to me...

1401896[/snapback]

I think this is very different than what happened with Eddie.

First of all the Ravens are waiting to see if he gets cut and are ready to come in and give Steve the Starting Job.

Second McNair can still get it done. He has been injured the last couple of years but when Healthy he is still as good as any QB in the league(not as good as P. Manning who is) and would give the TT the best chance to win

Third the TT RB have been crap since Eddie left....Eddie was Crap too but he was the TT crap so getting ride of Eddie really has not worked out for them!!

This is a joke. Forget about Favre and GB, any team that does this to any player is classless. I don't know all the details, but he is under contract for next year, correct?

He has a high cap number because they didn't pick up the 3 year option, which I don't blame them for not picking up.

But, they basically have 2 choices.

1. Work with him to come up with a restructured deal

2. Cut him

You just can't come up with option 3 and ban him from the facility because he isn't accepting the restructured deal.

I just read a comment last week from Fisher, talking about the work ethic and eagerness of David Givens. Saying that Givens was looking for the QBs to work out with and Fisher was like "our offseason program hasn't started yet".

The QB Givens said he was looking forward to playing with, respected, etc. gets banned from the training facility when he's looking for someone to train with???? You think Givens is asking himself today if he made a mistake?

Edited by charty

You just can come up with option 3 and ban him from the facility because he isn't accepting the restructured deal.

1402046[/snapback]

Or they could have talked to him beforehand too. Waiting until he comes in seems at least a little odd.

It's idiotic. Remember when Hines Ward showed up to play without his contract being done? He was hailed as a hero because he just wanted to play for Pittsburgh. Now McNair does it, and the local idiots in Tennessee support the management? Morans.

1401974[/snapback]

GREAT POINT!

This is a joke.  Forget about Favre and GB, any team that does this to any player is classless.  I don't know all the details, but he is under contract for next year, correct?

He has a high cap number because they didn't pick up the 3 year option, which I don't blame them for not picking up.

But, they basically have 2 choices.

1.  Work with him to come up with a restructured deal

2.  Cut him

You just can come up with option 3 and ban him from the facility because he isn't accepting the restructured deal.

I just read a comment last week from Fisher, talking about the work ethic and eagerness of David Givens.  Saying that Givens was looking for the QBs to work out with and Fisher was like "our offseason program hasn't started yet".

The QB Givens said he was looking forward to playing with, respected, etc. gets banned  from the training facility when he's looking for someone to train with????  You think Givens is asking himself today if he made a mystake?

1402046[/snapback]

I know if i was him i would be thinking along those lines.

This is ridiculous. Owners complain like crazy when their players hold out for more money, yet Adams is guilty of doing the same thing here. McNair's under contract, yet they won't even allow him to work out? The NFLPA will be all over this.

Paging Jerry Angelo: Steve McNair may be available! :D

Edited by Bill Swerski

I think this is very different than what happened with Eddie. 

First of all the Ravens are waiting to see if he gets cut and are ready to come in and give Steve the Starting Job.

Second McNair can still get it done.  He has been injured the last couple of years but when Healthy he is still as good as any QB in the league(not as good as P. Manning who is) and would give the TT the best chance to win

Third the TT RB have been crap since Eddie left....Eddie was Crap too but he was the TT crap so getting ride of Eddie really has not worked out for them!!

1402003[/snapback]

Fourth - you're partly wrong on your third point. The Titans let Eddie go at just the right time, or maybe a year too late. They have just done a bad job in trying to replace him.

"The reason his cap number is $24 million is because they kept asking him to restructure every year to create space," Cook said. "This guy has done everything for the team, and he has two or three really good years left. Now, they treat him like this."

1401755[/snapback]

There's the the guts of this. If I were him, NO WAY would I do a fargin thing for them now. Tenn fans supporting ownership here are playing the senseless Homer cards to the hilt.

You have to wonder if McNair saying he was not wanting to tutor a younger QB had anything to do with it.

If he indeed did that than I do not blame the Titans, IMO that was the only reason they wanted him around(and I would not have wanted him around for that considering the money he will make), if he did not do that THEN I would blame the Titans.

Seems like the Titans would of kept the value up on him and not sent him home no matter what.now anyone who wanted McNair, their offer just got worse.

How many times has McNair re-worked his contract to assist the team with their salary cap? Now after helping his team out time after time, they don't want his high cap numbered ass to get a blister on their practice field. Simply ridiculous.