[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Televised spring games

Phat1

I may be mistaken, but I've heard that both the Sooner's and Longhorn's spring games are going to be televised on ESPN this year. While I personally don't have any problem with this, (being able to see any football this time of year :D) my boss is going nuts about it.

His argument is that it gives these teams an edge in recruiting. I can agree with him on this, being able to tell a kid that the team is so good their spring game is televised would be nice little bonus.

Just wondered what everyone thought about it.

How does EPSN choose those two vs., say, the Trojans, Irish, Buckeyes, etc? Is it only those two? I'd agree that it gives the recruits one more thing to think about re: exposure. But the big thing for me is this: is ESPN really acknowledging that bad football will draw viewers better than more baseball or basketball, golf, poker etc.? Maybe.

I say 'bad' since spring ball cannot be great by definition - due to the very nature of stopping to coach, freshman (lacking any playbook knowledge) running around everywhere trying to earn their spot, etc. Many of the marquee players don't participate very much, cuz they don't have to, or they're recovering from some kind of rehab.

Last year Bush was the only top guy from the USC offense able to participate in the big "Trojan Huddle" spring practice open to the public at the Coliseum, and they played him in only one series. I took my 6y.o. son, but it was more for the whole scene and the autographs than the game. No use risking an injury to your Heisman trophy contender from some punk freshman trying to impress the coaches by 'finishing' a play already called dead.

I personally would rather wait and see a more finished product in the late summer - can they please televise the mid-August practices, instead of the mid-April ones? Just my 2 cents...

I may be mistaken, but I've heard that both the Sooner's and Longhorn's spring games are going to be televised on ESPN this year.  While I personally don't have any problem with this, (being able to see any football this time of year  :D) my boss is going nuts about it. 

His argument is that it gives these teams an edge in recruiting.  I can agree with him on this, being able to tell a kid that the team is so good their spring game is televised would be nice little bonus.

Just wondered what everyone thought about it.

1401818[/snapback]

I do not know about OU, but UT's spring game was on Saturday, April 1.

Snead looked good until the end where he started throwing some picks. Two of the picks looked like passes that would have been complete at the high school level, but were picked because of the speed of the game, which with more practice he should adjust to rather quickly. I was pretty impressed. Mack said he will start both, but I'm willing to bet by the time conference play starts Snead is the man.