[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vikings discuss trade Schaub

Outshined

Vikings discuss trade for Falcons backup Schaub

Though the talks did not lead to formal negotiations, it was an indication the Vikings want quarterback depth.

Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune

Last update: April 04, 2006 – 12:03 AM

Printer friendly E-mail this story

Atlanta quarterback Matt Schaub has not only been praised for his poise and his short-range accuracy, but he also showed an ability to scramble. Here he tries to escape Vikings defensive end Darrion Scott last October in a game in which he ran 56 yards on four carries.

The Vikings spent part of Monday discussing a possible trade for Atlanta backup quarterback Matt Schaub, two people with knowledge of the situation said. The talks were casual and did not lead to formal negotiations, the sources said, but the interaction confirms the Vikings' desire to add depth to the position, either through a trade or in this month's draft.

Discussions could resume as the April 29-30 draft approaches, but as of Monday no further talks were planned.

Schaub, 24, has spent two seasons backing up Michael Vick. He has drawn rave reviews in extensive preseason appearances as well as two career starts and 22 career games, and he is entering the final year of his contract. More than a half-dozen teams reportedly have inquired about him, believing he is ready to be an NFL starter, but the Falcons have appeared unwilling to part with the valuable reserve.

Now, however, the Falcons might be looking to enhance their draft position; they traded their first-round draft pick to the New York Jets last month as part of a deal for defensive lineman John Abraham. The Vikings have five picks in the first three rounds and probably would have to part with their first-round pick, No. 17 overall, in order to complete a trade.

Any team that acquired Schaub almost certainly would seek to sign him to a long-term contract extension. The Vikings had no such discussions Monday, the sources said. Schaub's agent, David Dunn, did not return phone calls Monday.

Brad Johnson ascended to the top of the Vikings' depth chart last month upon the trade of Daunte Culpepper, but coach Brad Childress has remained noncommittal about the position's short- and long-term future. Last week, Childress said Johnson is "our starter right now."

Schaub would be a heavy favorite to open the 2006 season as the Vikings starter if he is acquired. Otherwise, they plan to use Johnson, 37, as their starter this season and draft their QB of the future. Childress indicated last week that they might seek out a second-tier prospect and spend 2006 and perhaps 2007 developing him for a future starting role.

Schaub has been one of the NFL's most discussed names this offseason. At 6-5 and 237 pounds, he is known as a pocket passer with exceptional poise and short-range accuracy. He also ran for 56 yards on four scrambles during a relief appearance last season against the Vikings.

The Vikings have been increasingly connected with rampant trade rumors involving Schaub this offseason, especially as their relationship with Culpepper deteriorated. But as other teams tried and failed, the assumption around the NFL has been that Atlanta valued him too much.

However, Falcons coach Jim Mora said last week that Schaub was available. Schaub's experience in the West Coast offense, both in Atlanta and at the University of Virginia, has convinced many scouts he is ready to take over a similar offense as early as this season.

The Falcons' third-round pick in 2004, Schaub compiled a 98.1 passer rating last season in completing 33 of 64 passes for 495 yards and four touchdowns with no interceptions.

Staff writer Judd Zulgad contributed to this report.

Atlanta would be fools to give up on Schaub, especially to someone in the conferance. Schaub may well be the best guy on the roster if only they'd give up on the failed Vick experiment.

What could they give? I'd take no less than a third if I was them, and that in an of itself would be robbery.

The Vikes would be wasting the big money they spent on Hutch if they plan on having Johnson lead the team. They should have gone after Brees, but that boat has sailed. Schaub is unproven, but with what little experience he has had, he's looked impressive. Probably as safe a bet as trading up to get Leinart, and you can get him cheaper. I'd be down with this move. Especially with Johnson there to mentor Schaub, lord knows he couldn't learn much from Vick.

Good analysis.

1401944[/snapback]

I said good luck because Atlanta has been unwilling to trade him.

I think it would take more than the Vikes are willing to give up to get him. With Vick as injury-prone as he is I don't see it happening. Would you trade a great backup like him if you were the Falcons?

They would have to get someone better in their eyes to do it. There could be such a drfat prospect that could do it but I really don't think so.

Yeah Vick is a failure. He's only went as far as Peyton Manning in the playoffs.

1402044[/snapback]

Let me ask you a very simple question, and please answer it: Who do you think the Falcons would get more for, Vick or Schaub?

Let me ask you a very simple question, and please answer it: Who do you think the Falcons would get more for, Vick or Schaub?

1402056[/snapback]

Since Vick is a failure and has such a huge contract for being such a failure, it would obviously be the punter salary Schaub who hasn't really proven that he's a failure yet.

Since Vick is a failure and has such a huge contract for being such a failure, it would obviously be the punter salary Schaub who hasn't really proven that he's a failure yet.

1402071[/snapback]

Very good, you're learning. Basically Vick has a huge contract that no one else in their right mind would give a guy who is about as accurate with a football as Dick Cheney is with a rifle.

Very good, you're learning. Basically Vick has a huge contract that no one else in their right mind would give a guy who is about as accurate with a football as Dick Cheney is with a rifle.

1402091[/snapback]

Now c'mon hugh, Cheney nailed the guy right in the face....

I said good luck because Atlanta has been unwilling to trade him.

I think it would take more than the Vikes are willing to give up to get him. With Vick as injury-prone as he is I don't see it happening. Would you trade a great backup like him if you were the Falcons?

They would have to get someone better in their eyes to do it. There could be such a drfat prospect that could do it but I really don't think so.

1402032[/snapback]

I bet they could trade Hutch for Schaub! :D

...seriously though, the Falcons would be making a huge mistake if they were to part ways with Schaub. I have to agree with how injury prone Vick has proven to be, Schaub is the best backup QB in the league--and for the Vikings a possible starter. Schaub has shown capabilities in the short run to become a very dominant starting QB but still is not proven long term talant. I do, however, believe the Vikings would have to give up more than their first round draft pick. Maybe 1st (17th overall) and a 3rd or 4th round draft pick. :D

i'm sorry. but somebody needs to inject a small dose of reality here.

+---------------------------------------+-----------------+                |              Passing                  |     Rushing     |+----------+-----+---------------------------------------+-----------------+| Year  TM |   G |  Comp   Att   PCT    YD   Y/A  TD INT |  Att  Yards  TD |+----------+-----+---------------------------------------+-----------------+| 2004 atl |   6 |    33    70  47.1   330   4.7   1   4 |     8    26   0 || 2005 atl |  16 |    33    64  51.6   495   7.7   4   0 |     9    76   0 |+----------+-----+---------------------------------------+-----------------+|  TOTAL   |  22 |    66   134  49.3   825   6.2   5   4 |    17   102   0 |+----------+-----+---------------------------------------+-----------------+

i hope the moran vikes give up a second round pick or something for him. AJ feeley all over again. hey, he's better than vick!! :D:D:D

so accurate that his career completion percentage on 165 attempts is below 50%?

1402333[/snapback]

Most people know that Schaub shined in the pre-season for the Falcons, and that is why certain people like him. Take a look at his pre-season numbers, they're pretty decent. I know it's just pre-season, but in those games he looked sharp. Take it for what it's worth. Also, when your #1 QB is Brad Johnson, you have to take a stab somewhere. And if you can get Schaub for a 3rd rounder, it might be a better option than trying to move up in the draft to get Leinart.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

I'd give up a first round pick for him...

1402318[/snapback]

so you want them to trade culpepper away for a second round pick, and deal away a first rounder for matt f*cking schaub? :D

culpepper is worth a 2nd rounder

ramsey is worth a 6th rounder

harrington is worth a 6th rounder

matt schaub is worth a 1st or 2nd rounder

gotcha.

Hey, didn't ATL give up Favre......... :D .......nice...... :D

1402650[/snapback]

Atlanta didn't give up Favre.

It was their idiot Coach at the time. You know...the putz who used to leave tickets for Elvis at the will call window every game. Jerry freakin' Glanville ran favre out of town. :D

so you want them to trade culpepper away for a second round pick, and deal away a first rounder for matt f*cking schaub? :D

culpepper is worth a 2nd rounder

ramsey is worth a 6th rounder

harrington is worth a 6th rounder

matt schaub is worth a 1st or 2nd rounder

gotcha.

1402396[/snapback]

When you consider the fact that they were going to cut Culpepper, I think that a 2nd round pick was OUTSTANDING! TO got cut...yet people don't say anything about what pick the Eagles got for him. Didn't they give up a fourth rounder to get TO in the first place? Compare apples to apples.

Schaub > Cutler

So I think a first rounder would be ok to give...now I don't think it will fly in Minnesota because a lot of fans don't understand that the 2nd round pick they got for Culpepper was great, but I wouldn't complain if they made the trade.