[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sarge's 2006 1st round NFL Mock

Sgt. Ryan

This is how I see the first round shaking out.

1. Houston Texans: Reggie Bush, RB, USC

2. New Orleans Saints: D’Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia

3. Tennessee Titans: Matt Leinart, QB, USC

4. New York Jets: Mario Williams, DE NC ST

5. Green Bay Packers: AJ Hawk, OLB, Ohio State

6. San Francisco 49ers: Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland

7. Oakland Raiders: Vince Young, QB, Texas

8. Buffalo Bills: Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon

9. Detroit Lions: Michael Huff, CB/S, Texas

10. Arizona Cardinals: Winston Justice, OT, USC

11. St. Louis Rams: Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt

12. Cleveland Browns: Kamerion Wimbley, DE/OLB, Florida State

13. Baltimore Ravens: Jimmy Williams, CB/S, Virginia Tech

14. Philadelphia Eagles: Santonio Holmes, WR, Ohio State

15. Denver Broncos: DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis

16. Miami Dolphins: Ernie Sims, OLB, Florida State

17. Minnesota Vikings: Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota

18. Dallas Cowboys: Chad Jackson, WR, Florida

19. San Diego Chargers: Marcus McNeill, OT, Auburn

20. Kansas City Chiefs: Manny Lawson, DE/OLB, NC State

21. New England Patriots: LenDale White, RB, USC

22. Denver Broncos: Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, Boston College

23. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Eric Winston, OT, Miami

24. Cincinnati Bengals: Broderick Bunkley, DT, Florida State

25. New York Giants: Tye Hill, CB, Clemson

26. Chicago Bears: Leonard Pope, TE, Georgia

27. Carolina Panthers: Chad Greenway, OLB/S, Iowa

28. Jacksonville Jaguars: DeMeco Ryans, LB, Alabama

29. New York Jets: Nick Mangold, C, Ohio State

30. Indianapolis Colts: Joseph Addai, RB, LSU

31. Seattle Seahawks: Max Jean-Giles, OG, Georgia

32. Pittsburgh Steelers: Thomas Howard, OLB, UTEP

Round 2 to come later

lol...cowboys fans are always haters

I like the mock except for the Eagles pick...

other than that, there isn't a whole lot I disagree with...

1404396[/snapback]

How am I hating on the birds. Holmes is an instant upgrade. I know they need OL, DL, and at LB, but there is plenty of that later.

How am I hating on the birds.  Holmes is an instant upgrade.  I know they need OL, DL, and at LB, but there is plenty of that later.

1404406[/snapback]

I was more-so just poking fun...

but the chances of them taking a WR in the 1st are about as likely as them trading to the #1 slot...and this isn't just an opinion...

Good work Sarge

I've seen other mocks with the Steelers taking an OLB, and I simply don't see it happening. They have Porter, Haggans, and a very compitent backup in Harrison. I know the Steelers love players like Howard & Carpenter, but they have needs at Safety, ILB, DE, & WR. I can't see them not going WR, S, or DE in round 1. I also wouldn't be shocked if they snagged Nick Mangold if he is still there, as they definitely need a Center for the future.

I tried to take into account team need, and depth at the position. I also didnt go big name like Carpenter etc... The Utep kid isnt a big name, but will be a beast at the next level, where Carpernter aint not Vrabel, I dont care how many comparisons I hear.

Offensive moves I don't see happening:

11. St. Louis Rams: Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt

14. Philadelphia Eagles: Santonio Holmes, WR, Ohio State

15. Denver Broncos: DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis

17. Minnesota Vikings: Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota

18. Dallas Cowboys: Chad Jackson, WR, Florida

21. New England Patriots: LenDale White, RB, USC

30. Indianapolis Colts: Joseph Addai, RB, LSU

11. St. Louis - QB is not a high need. Sure they can pick for best player available. But they need to go defense to compete in their division.

14. Philly - iI think they go defense or up front OL. If they do take a WR that early, it would be Chad Jackson over Moss.

15. Denver - If Chad Jackson is available as you are showing, he's the pick here. Maybe even LenDale White, but they could wait until 22 to ge the RB.

17. Vikes - RB is not as pressing as defense or more OL help.

18. Dallas - T.O. in town, extended Glenn, and esigned Crayton. No need to grab a WR this early. Next year's draft will have plenty of quality WRs.

21. Pats - The fantasy player in me wants to say RB, but the reality side of me thinks they go defense and takes a RB in round 2 or 3.

30. Indy - Can't see 5 RBs going in the first round, especially when they don't all grade out as 1st round talent. Indy and New England are prime candidates to trade out of the 1st round and slide back a few spots to the 2nd round.

Offensive moves I don't see happening:

11. St. Louis - QB is not a high need. Sure they can pick for best player available. But they need to go defense to compete in their division.

14. Philly - iI think they go defense or up front OL. If they do take a WR that early, it would be Chad Jackson over Moss.

15. Denver - If Chad Jackson is available as you are showing, he's the pick here. Maybe even LenDale White, but they could wait until 22 to ge the RB.

17. Vikes - RB is not as pressing as defense or more OL help.

18. Dallas - T.O. in town, extended Glenn, and esigned Crayton. No need to grab a WR this early. Next year's draft will have plenty of quality WRs.

21. Pats - The fantasy player in me wants to say RB, but the reality side of me thinks they go defense and takes a RB in round 2 or 3.

30. Indy - Can't see 5 RBs going in the first round, especially when they don't all grade out as 1st round talent. Indy and New England are prime candidates to trade out of the 1st round and slide back a few spots to the 2nd round.

1404681[/snapback]

Rams Front office is always a mystery. Few yrs back Jackson was taken because he fell to far, and Bulger is fragile. I definately see this pick happening.

Philly needs to save face a bit and get a playmaker for McNabb. Hell the NAACP in Philly called McNabb out last yr, and he cant do it alone anymore like a few yrs back. This is a huge need pick for them, and Holmes is a better WR.

Denver tried to bring in R Wiley, flirted with TO, and J Abraham, so they will take at least 2 of those 3 positions in round 1. D Williams is a perfect back for this offense, and if he falls this far, he will go ahead of Jackson or Holmes. Its my opinion neither Holmes nor Jackson make it to 22, so they go DE, which are over priced in RFA, and hope Hagan, Moss, or another WR falls to them in round 2.

Dallas will probably trade down, but if they cant, and Justice is gone, they may take Mcneil, but Parcells got rid fo Allen because he was out of shape and had a bad back. McNeils MO is back and weight problems. Dallas wont reach for a FS here, they have a history of getting quality FS later, and it would be a reach pick to take one in round 1. Round 2 is full of quality OG, and they can certainly get one there, or a FS. TO and Glenn are aging Wrs and Crayton while good is not a #1 WR, that Jackson or Holmes could be. Personally Id like to see Dallas go McNeil if he is healthy and then Davin Joseph in round 2 and build a top 5 OL for the future. Then get a Wr or FS in round 3.

NE is always unpredictable, but this offense needs a running game, and Dillon is clearly on the wrong side of 30, and is now an injury risk.

Indy will miss the boat on the top 4 RBs and will panic and take Addai here. He is going to be a stud in that offense, and can catch the ball out of the backfield, which is a necessity. After Addai, the dropoff is huge, so he slides into round 1.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

First mock I've seen that didn't have one of three different CBs going to the Chiefs...

...interesting...

1404560[/snapback]

Yep, I think they will take a CB, WR or trade down.

Chad Jackson is who i want them to take. Only one year in as many as i can remember have they taken the guy I wanted and that was last year with DJ, but he fell to them so that was a fluke.

The Saints WILL take Mario Williams with their pick, unless they trade out of the 2nd slot.

1404502[/snapback]

I keep hearing that but DE is one of their strongest positions.

Manny Lawson in round 1? If that happens he would really move up. Most see his as a 2nd rounder, but nice mock.

15. Denver - If Chad Jackson is available as you are showing, he's the pick here.

1404681[/snapback]

i could be wrong, but i do not believe denver will take chad jackson, regardless of who else is still available. my feeling is that if they take a WR, it will be the more experienced holmes...but really i don't think they will take a WR in the first round. i think they look hard at the RBs, DEs, DTs, and safety. if they stand pat with those two picks, i they'll come away with two of the following:

RB - williams, maroney, white

DE - kiawanuka, hali, tapp, lawson

DT - bunkley, ngata (one may slip)

DB - huff, whitner, jimmy williams

TE and WR are also possibilities, but i think we're more likely to see two of the guys above in orange and blue.

i could be wrong, but i do not believe denver will take chad jackson, regardless of who else is still available.  my feeling is that if they take a WR, it will be the more experienced holmes...but really i don't think they will take a WR in the first round.  i think they look hard at the RBs, DEs, DTs, and safety.  if they stand pat with those two picks, i they'll come away with two of the following:

RB - williams, maroney, white

DE - kiawanuka, hali, tapp, lawson

DT - bunkley, ngata (one may slip)

DB - huff, whitner, jimmy williams

TE and WR are also possibilities, but i think we're more likely to see two of the guys above in orange and blue.

1404814[/snapback]

Good points. They won't grab Lawson. Won't fit in their D. Unless they trade up significantly, Huff and Whitner will probably be gone, but not out of the question.

I wouldn't be surprised if they waited and grabbed a RB either 2nd 1st rnd pick or just in the second round. I do think, however, that they would grab Jackson if he's at the 15th pick. Shanny knows his receivers need a speed burner.

Nice draft Sarge.

There is a very good chance the Bears will go TE with their first-round pick. I'm not big on Pope, though. I think he is a big stiff who will be the next Kyle Brady. JMHO.

There is a chance Chicago could go CB to challenge Tillman and then grab a TE in the second round, like Klopfenstein. :D The Bears say they're happy with Tillman, even though he regressed last year, but we all know that could be a smoke screen.

Again, nice draft. :D

Sorry Sarge, but:

1. After the 1st round disaster that was Freddie Mitchell; and

2. The proof that they can contend for a SB without a premier WR in this system (remember, James Thrash and Charles Johnson were their WRs during their NFC Championship years)

there is no way the Eagles take a WR with their #1 pick, unless they trade down to late in the round. And there is word that they may try to trade their #1 & #2 to Buffalo for theirs so they can grab Ngata.

OT or DT, no doubt.

Rams Front office is always a mystery.  Few yrs back Jackson was taken because he fell to far, and Bulger is fragile.  I definately see this pick happening.

Philly needs to save face a bit and get a playmaker for McNabb.  Hell the NAACP in Philly called McNabb out last yr, and he cant do it alone anymore like a few yrs back.  This is a huge need pick for them, and Holmes is a better WR.

Denver tried to bring in R Wiley, flirted with TO, and J Abraham, so they will take at least 2 of those 3 positions in round 1.  D Williams is a perfect back for this offense, and if he falls this far, he will go ahead of Jackson or Holmes.  Its my opinion neither Holmes nor Jackson make it to 22, so they go DE, which are over priced in RFA, and hope Hagan, Moss, or another WR falls to them in round 2.

Dallas will probably trade down, but if they cant, and Justice is gone, they may take Mcneil, but Parcells got rid fo Allen because he was out of shape and had a bad back.  McNeils MO is back and weight problems. Dallas wont reach for a FS here, they have a history of getting quality FS later, and it would be a reach pick to take one in round 1.  Round 2 is full of quality OG, and they can certainly get one there, or a FS.  TO and Glenn are aging Wrs and Crayton while good is not a #1 WR, that Jackson or Holmes could be.  Personally Id like to see Dallas go McNeil if he is healthy and then Davin Joseph in round 2 and build a top 5 OL for the future.  Then get a Wr or FS in round 3.

NE is always unpredictable, but this offense needs a running game, and Dillon is clearly on the wrong side of 30, and is now an injury risk.

Indy will miss the boat on the top 4 RBs and will panic and take Addai here. He is going to be a stud in that offense, and can catch the ball out of the backfield, which is a necessity.  After Addai, the dropoff is huge, so he slides into round 1.

1404726[/snapback]

What about Minnesota? Because I question that pick too.

I really think they are going OL especially with O'Neill and Winston (according to your mock) available.

Sorry Sarge, but:

1. After the 1st round disaster that was Freddie Mitchell; and

2. The proof that they can contend for a SB without a premier WR in this system (remember, James Thrash and Charles Johnson were their WRs during their NFC Championship years)

there is no way the Eagles take a WR with their #1 pick, unless they trade down to late in the round. And there is word that they may try to trade their #1 & #2 to Buffalo for theirs so they can grab Ngata.

OT or DT, no doubt.

1405816[/snapback]

They lost 3 straight NFC Champ games before they finally got TO. So id say they didnt contend for the SB, since they never made it until they finally got a WR. BTW, they are no where near the same team as 2 yrs ago. This team is not making the playoffs, regardless of who they draft.