[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Restaraunt Grease

Brentastic

I've always wondered why restaraunts' deep fried food always tasted better than when I deep fry food at home. Recently I switched from "liquid" oil to that Crisco grease (white, solid). Wings taste fine but fries still don't have that restaraunt taste. Is there a secret?

Also on a deep fry sidenote: Does anyone have a good recipe for breading so I can start making some deep fried pickles and tenderloins. You know, the real breading that comes on restaraunt deep fried goodies. I don't want no moma's bread crumb recipe.

peace

brent

I've always wondered why restaraunts' deep fried food always tasted better than when I deep fry food at home.  Recently I switched from "liquid" oil to that Crisco grease (white, solid).  Wings taste fine but fries still don't have that restaraunt taste.  Is there a secret?

Also on a deep fry sidenote:  Does anyone have a good recipe for breading so I can start making some deep fried pickles and tenderloins.  You know, the real breading that comes on restaraunt deep fried goodies.  I don't want no moma's bread crumb recipe.

peace

brent

1407542[/snapback]

Commercial grade fryers are a lot easier to keep at a consistent tempurature. When you fry something it is very important to keep the tempurature up, so I suggest adding the food to your fryer/pan very slowly and monitoring the temp. Most people will bring the oil to a boil and throw all the food into the pan.

:D

I am sure that Bier has more input and tons of recipes... let's see em Bier!!!

I've always wondered why restaraunts' deep fried food always tasted better than when I deep fry food at home.  Recently I switched from "liquid" oil to that Crisco grease (white, solid).  Wings taste fine but fries still don't have that restaraunt taste.  Is there a secret?

Also on a deep fry sidenote:  Does anyone have a good recipe for breading so I can start making some deep fried pickles and tenderloins.  You know, the real breading that comes on restaraunt deep fried goodies.  I don't want no moma's bread crumb recipe.

peace

brent

1407542[/snapback]

"Over high heat, heat 2" to 3" of oil in a deep Dutch oven to 325 degrees. In batches and without crowding the potatoes, deep-fry them until tender but not golden, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels. These once-fried potatoes can stand at room temperature for up to 4 hours.

Reheat oil to 375 degrees. In batches, without crowding, add the once-fried potatoes and cook until golden brown and crisp. Remove potatoes from oil and drain on paper towels."

the secret is doing them twice.The first time about half done,letting them cool and then finishing them off.I've tried it and they turn out great like this.

for wings IMO you must use peanut oil and FRESH wings,not frozen.

Edited by HowboutthemCowboys

i have a frier at home...use it now and then. i use veg oil at home, we use a "frying oil" at work..... comes in white solid form. at one restaurant we used peanut oil in the frier. that being said...i actually like using the veg oil. a good temp is 350. i have good results both at home and at work with that temp.

breadings.....

interupted... will get back to this.

edit:

all i have is homemade stuff. there are different degrees of thickness to them.

- i have simply coated tenderloin tips or shrimp with cornstarch, then fried em.

- a standard breading procedure is flour, egg wash, then bread crumbs (this is fairly heavy).

- you can coat with anything: chopped macadamia nuts, corn flakes, corn chips, panko.

but then there are batters (and they can be heavy or light too).

- i go a little lighter, like tempura batters

Edited by Bier Meister