[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFC East

cliaz

Alright guys, since I see all these different threads about the cowboys sweeping the redskins, the eagles beating the cowboys, the skins taking it and going 16-0 and winning the super bowl for the next 10 years (my personal fav btw.)

I figured why not start a thread we can all argue in.

Alright guys, since I see all these different threads about the cowboys sweeping the redskins, the eagles beating the cowboys, the skins taking it and going 16-0 and winning the super bowl for the next 10 years (my personal fav btw.)

I figured why not start a thread we can all argue in.

1409826[/snapback]

No doubt the most competitive division in the league this upcoming season.

definetly going to be one of the top divisions, probly best in the NFC. AFC North will be tough also.

IMO NFC East (Division records only)

Cowboys 4-2

Redskins 4-2 (but will not have as good overall record)

Giants 3-3

Eagles 2-4

Eagles will have a tough time because they are thin at WR and I don't think they can put the high % of their offense on Westbrook again and be successful. Each team in the division has a quality defense, so who everis going to be successful has to be able to put up some points against a strong defense.

Almost everyone picked the Eagles to win the NFC East last year including probably 90% of Huddlers. The Eagles, as we all know, finished dead last. Anyone that says a team WILL win the division is an idiot. There are too many unforeseen factors that make it an unattainable guarantee.

There is a real chance that these teams will beat each other enough to cost a second team in the division a playoff shot. NFC games out of division will become all that more important as teams try to establish the head to head playoff tie-breaker.

The Cowboys, Giants & Redskins all play these NFC teams:

Tampa Bay

Carolina

Atlanta

New Orleans

The difference is the other two NFC teams:

Dallas Cowboys

@ Arizona

Detroit

N. Y. Giants

@ Seattle

Bears

Washington Redskins

Minnesota

St. Louis

Dallas has a hugh advantage playing those two teams which gives them an edge. Is it enough of an edge to win the division? We'll see.

Edited by Kansas State 2000

Should be highly competitive.

Each team has high upside but high fragility as well

I expect the Cowboys to be strong this year with TO having a big year,

but what if TO doesn't wait a year to be jerk, Bledsoe doesn't get enough protection or JJ is as inconsistent as last year?

The Redskins defense will be strong and Portis now looks comfortable, but are Brandon Lloyd or Randle-El really the answer? For that matter, is Brunell?

My Giants will have a very good D I believe and have a talented offense but Toomer is clearly on the downslope, Burress is inconsistent and Manning needs continued growth. Tiki also has another year on him not to mention the schedule is brutal.

The Eagles are the team I have no idea. I wouldn't be surprised if they finished

11-5 but I wouldn't be shocked if they were 5-11 either.

Should be fun - I think the G-men can take it but know going in a close loss or 2 will likely be the difference between division champs and home for the playoffs.

There is a real chance that these teams will beat each other enough to cost a second team in the division a playoff shot. NFC games out of division will become all that more important as teams try to establish the head to head playoff tie-breaker.

1409856[/snapback]

I see three teams at 10-6, and one at 9-7. Which ones? Your guesss is as good as mine.

And that's an honest homer opinion (if there is such a thing).

The Cowboys, Giants & Redskins all play these NFC teams:

Tampa Bay

Carolina

Atlanta

New Orleans

Dallas Cowboys

@ Arizona

Detroit

N. Y. Giants

@ Seattle

Bears

Washington Redskins

Minnesota

St. Louis

Dallas has a hugh advantage playing those two teams which gives them an edge. Is it enough of an edge to win the division? We'll see.

1409856[/snapback]

You left one team out of your analysis:

Philadelphia Eagles

@ San Fran

Green Bay

Philly should also get the hugh advantage you are speaking of, no?

And of the four common games against the NFC South, they get Carolina and Atlanta at home. Again, checkmark Eagles.

Just can't see how anyone would leave them out of an argument over who might win the NFC East, based on the above. Add in:

1. Best QB of the four

2. Improved DL over 2005

3. Improved LB over 2005

4. Healthy QB

5. Improved ACTIVE WRs

6. Subtraction of the biggest locker-room distraction from 2005

7. Still have PLENTY of money to spend to fine-tune the roster after final cuts.

At worst, they are on par with the 2001-2004 teams that made it to the conference championships. Yes, the divsion is tougher. So take away 2-3 wins, as they will not sweep the division as they did those years. So instead of 13-3, 12-4, 14-2 seasons, they should be about 10-6/11-5, right in the mix.

You guys are not paying attention to history and are not analyzing the offseason moves properly.

Most important: Gibbs and Gregg Williams are system guys with the flexibility to modify to take advantage of personnel and matchups. For example, Gibbs wants to open up the offense and went and got Saunders from KC, about the most highly regarded OC out there. And the one thing killing the redskins over the past decade has been coaching inconsistency and that is not a problem this year. The system Saunders ran was a modified more wide open version of the Coryell system Gibbs first modified and ran in the 80's (which is the one Vermeil and Martz modified in St Louis).

Additional points:

Brunell had his best season as a pro QB last year because pass protection got a lot better, the ground game improved, Cooley developed and Moss broke out.

Randle El and Brandon Lloyd will only open up the offense more. Neither has to do any more than they have in the past and this offense is on another level entirely.

Portis had 1500 yards on the ground and double digit TD's. He will easily duplicate that because the O line is good, healthy and back.

Cooley had a great year and will only get better and Fauria was only brought in to block. Sellers, the killer, who had 6 or 8 TD's is also back.

The defense is largely intact and only improved. The question mark is whether Taylor comes back and it looks like that will be resolved soon in his favor with a plea deal (the trial was supposed to start Monday and the prosecutors moved it back a month when Taylor turned down a no time in jail felony deal--he wants a no time in jail, no felony deal and I predict he gets it). Carlos Rogers has a year under his belt, we have a good nickel back, Archuletta still has a lot of game in him and combined with Taylor will be blowing people up, the LB's are strong even with the loss of Arrington (who didnt start more than half the season), and we added a stud DE and brought back our whole defensive line from last year.

Remember, the team that made the second round and fought toe to toe with the eventual NFC Super Bowl team is back almost entirely intact. The Redskins had 98% attendance at their offseason workouts to date--the players have bought into the system wholeheartedly (as evidenced by their constant restructuring of their contracts to help the team). They are ready to run.

This same team without the additions was 5-1 in the NFC East and had the best NFC record, I think, of any NFC team or second best. They could easily go 5-1 in the East again. And they will kill St Louis and Minnesota and should beat New Orleans, Atlanta, and Tampa handily. The Carolina game should be a slug fest.

And remember one more thing: Gibbs. He averaged a Super Bowl appearance in every third season. And this is his third since he came back. He is a master at putting the pieces together and getting the most from his players and team. Watch out. The Redskins went 5-11, 10-6, and now have a better roster and a fire in their belly.

I am a homer, but I am not blind. They easily take the NFC East and then we'll see.

Edited by skins

You guys are not paying attention to history and are not analyzing the offseason moves properly.

Most important: Gibbs and Gregg Williams are system guys with the flexibility to modify to take advantage of personnel and matchups. For example, Gibbs wants to open up the offense and went and got Saunders from KC, about the most highly regarded OC out there. And the one thing killing the redskins over the past decade has been coaching inconsistency and that is not a problem this year. The system Saunders ran was a modified more wide open version of the Coryell system Gibbs first modified and ran in the 80's (which is the one Vermeil and Martz modified in St Louis).

Additional points:

Brunell had his best season as a pro QB last year because pass protection got a lot better, the ground game improved, Cooley developed and Moss broke out.

Randle El and Brandon Lloyd will only open up the offense more. Neither has to do any more than they have in the past and this offense is on another level entirely.

Portis had 1500 yards on the ground and double digit TD's. He will easily duplicate that because the O line is good, healthy and back.

Cooley had a great year and will only get better and Fauria was only brought in to block. Sellers, the killer, who had 6 or 8 TD's is also back.

The defense is largely intact and only improved. The question mark is whether Taylor comes back and it looks like that will be resolved soon in his favor with a plea deal (the trial was supposed to start Monday and the prosecutors moved it back a month when Taylor turned down a no time in jail felony deal--he wants a no time in jail, no felony deal and I predict he gets it). Carlos Rogers has a year under his belt, we have a good nickel back, Archuletta still has a lot of game in him and combined with Taylor will be blowing people up, the LB's are strong even with the loss of Arrington (who didnt start more than half the season), and we added a stud DE and brought back our whole defensive line from last year.

Remember, the team that made the second round and fought toe to toe with the eventual NFC Super Bowl team is back almost entirely intact. The Redskins had 98% attendance at their offseason workouts to date--the players have bought into the system wholeheartedly (as evidenced by their constant restructuring of their contracts to help the team). They are ready to run.

This same team without the additions was 5-1 in the NFC East and had the best NFC record, I think, of any NFC team or second best. They could easily go 5-1 in the East again. And they will kill St Louis and Minnesota and should beat New Orleans, Atlanta, and Tampa handily. The Carolina game should be a slug fest.

And remember one more thing: Gibbs. He averaged a Super Bowl appearance in every third season. And this is his third since he came back. He is a master at putting the pieces together and getting the most from his players and team. Watch out. The Redskins went 5-11, 10-6, and now have a better roster and a fire in their belly.

I am a homer, but I am not blind. They easily take the NFC East and then we'll see.

1409983[/snapback]

Coherency appears in the strangest places ... :D

1. Best QB of the four

1409931[/snapback]

It's hard to compare QB's especially since McNabb could not finish the season and only played nine games. Looking at stats that we can use regardless of games played ... we get.

QB Rating:

Mark Brunell 85.9

Donovan McNabb 85.0

Drew Bledsoe 83.7

Eli Manning 75.9

Yards Per Attempt:

Drew Bledsoe 7.3

Donovan McNabb 7.0

Eli Manning 6.8

Mark Brunell 6.72

Completion Percentage:

Drew Bledsoe 60.1

Donovan McNabb 59.1

Mark Brunell 57.7

Eli Manning 52.8

Even with TO McNabb played below Bledsoe in two of the three catagories. Bledsoe has TO this year which will help him. Is McNabb the better QB? I do not know about that now.

Edited by Kansas State 2000

It's hard to compare QB's especially since McNabb could not finish the season and only played nine games. Looking at stats that we can use regardless of games played ... we get.

QB Rating:

Donovan McNabb 85.0

Drew Bledsoe 83.7

Eli Manning 75.9

Yards Per Attempt:

Drew Bledsoe 7.3

Donovan McNabb 7.0

Eli Manning 6.8

Completion Percentage:

Drew Bledsoe 60.1

Donovan McNabb 59.1

Eli Manning 52.8

Even with TO McNabb played below Bledsoe in two of the three catagories. Bledsoe has TO this year which will help him. Is McNabb the better QB? I do not know about that now.

1409997[/snapback]

I notice you left Brunell out:

Rating: 85.9

YPA: 6.72

% 57.7

TD/INT: 23/10

That's as good as he's ever done and stacks up favorably against all of the other QB's in the NFC East.

Yeap the skins take the division this year but if they don't, they will be back in the playoffs as a wild card.

Hey Skins, you know I've been thinking, I think you should give me your season tickets.

Edited by cliaz

Hey Skins, you know I've been thinking, I think you should give me your season tickets.

1410541[/snapback]

Not gonna happen. But I think there is a good shot you and I are snuggling together under a burgundy and gold blankie late this fall.

Additional points:

1409983[/snapback]

predicting any of the NFC east teams to "easily go 5-1 in the east" is a stretch.Gibbs is a good coach in a division FULL of good coaches.Whoever stays healthy and gets some breaks will win the east.At this point it's wide open.

Dallas Cowboys

@ Arizona

Detroit

N. Y. Giants

@ Seattle

Bears

Washington Redskins

Minnesota

St. Louis

1409856[/snapback]

I hate to say it but I wouldn't give the Boys the edge. They almost never win in Phoenix. I've been to every one of these game and the Cowboys haven't won in years. Add that to an improved Cardinal team (yea I said it) and it can very easily be a loss. As for Detroit, they will also be better this year.

You left one team out of your analysis:

Philadelphia Eagles

@ San Fran

Green Bay

Philly should also get the hugh advantage you are speaking of, no?

1409931[/snapback]

Yep, Much better matchups. But your still weak in the WR area. That may be what keeps you out. I like LJ, match him up with quality WRs, and then toss in Westbrook and you have something.

Redskins are looking like players, my question would be Brunell, can he repeat. He's got a quality RB, and I like Moss and the Addition of Lloyd. If the Line holds so will Brunell.

I have no idea how the Giants will fair. With last year under his belt, Eli may be better. And NEVER bet against Tiki. I've skipped over him the last 2 years thinking that he's getting to old, and each year he's proven me wrong. Receiving Corp is good also. Eli is the key here. If he plays better.......

Cowboys were on their way to the playoff last year until the line fell apart, and let's not forget about the kicker carousel that cost them at least 3 games last year. Bledsoe can pick you apart given the time, but put a little pressure on him, not so good. And as much as I hate TO, he is a difference maker, and he should get thru the first season before letting the inner-chuckles out. Add him to Glenn, Witten, and with anyluck an improved O-Line it will be sweet. Their running game is the weakness here. JJ proved he's not that great, and Barber, well decent. But neither or them strike me as anything more then average.

Each one of these teams has the potential, and if I had to guess, I'd say it all comes down to the finally weekend. It will either be the Cowboys or Redskins, with my vote going to the Cowboys (yea, like you didn't see that coming).

Wow, my colorful and descriptive name was changed to chuckles...... :D I guess Chuckles is close, the word clown was part of the name.

Edited by JoJoTheWebToedBoy

heck they will probably all go 3-3 in the division, 7-3 the rest of the way...then a fricken coin flip will decide the division and wildcard...which will piss off the two teams that dont win. Launching the start of 8 months of "how the other two teams didnt deserve to be there in the first place" and "how the two non-playoff teams would have gone much deeper in the playoffs" threads...cant wait

I'll keep this simple:

I'd still take McNabb this season over all the other starting QBs in the NFC East (with the only real consideration given to Eli who I think will be real good).

Many people, especially the Cowboy fans and fishermen, kept on predicting the demise of the Eagles for many of the past handful of seasons. Eventually something was going to give and those people had to be right. It took about 5 seasons for them to be right-- let's not gloat with the "I told you so" about last season.

As for this season, who knows... I don't see any of them being world beaters and all of them having a shot at the division title. I think this is the strongest division in football from top to bottom.

Edited by TDFFFreak

QB Rating:

Mark Brunell 85.9

Donovan McNabb 85.0

Drew Bledsoe 83.7

Eli Manning 75.9

Yards Per Attempt:

Drew Bledsoe 7.3

Donovan McNabb 7.0

Eli Manning 6.8

Mark Brunell 6.72

Completion Percentage:

Drew Bledsoe 60.1

Donovan McNabb 59.1

Mark Brunell 57.7

Eli Manning 52.8

1409997[/snapback]

true, but he's still in the prime of his career....Bledsoe is riding into the sunset with Brunell to take a bath....... :D