[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lions Receivers

seabronc

Pulled this off KFFL:

Lions | Two key wide receivers not impressing the coaching staff

Fri, 7 Apr 2006 21:08:56 -0700

Tom Kowalski, of mlive.com, reports just three short weeks into the Detroit Lions offseason conditioning program, sources said WRs Charles Rogers and Mike Williams have not impressed the new coaching staff. Rogers has been attending the workouts but the coaches have been underwhelmed by his attitude and focus. Rogers' alleged reputation for being a partier remains. Williams didn't show up for any of the workouts last week. His agent said he left because of a "family matter.'' Williams is reportedly out of shape and overweight. Both wide receivers will need to improve their focus, or they could find themselves battling for a roster spot.

I don't see a chance in the world that Williams is battling for a roster spot this year... but Rogers appears in serious jeopardy. What is your take for who steps up as the #2 receiver alongside Roy? Please don't tell me Corey Bradford!

Heard this on the radio yesterday. Seems like a couple of winners we have there.

Maybe Williams really is trying to fit into the 'tight-end' body most think he is.

If Bradford doesn't step-up, I'm not sure who's left - Scotty Vines :D

That there was some good drafting. :D

1409904[/snapback]

At least there is still Roy Williams right? :D

...Oh Lions... they always find a way to take more backsteps than forward, it's almost getting ridiculous to the point where you feel bad for them.

If Roy Williams can stay healthy (ankle and hammy) then he can be a dominant WR. With the right QB he could be one of the league's elite. Let Mike Williams be the over the middle possession receiver that most of us thought he was, and stop thinking of him as a true stus.

If Roy Williams can stay healthy (ankle and hammy) then he can be a dominant WR.  With the right QB he could be one of the league's elite.  Let Mike Williams be the over the middle possession receiver that most of us thought he was, and stop thinking of him as a true stus.

1410976[/snapback]

I think Roy will have a great season...

the question is...who is going to try to catch balls opposite of him?

More fodder from Pasquerelli on ESPN Insider:

• It didn't get much media play this week but, when the Lions added versatile free agent Mike Furrey, formerly of the St. Louis Rams, it offered the latest indication that the trio of first-round wide receivers in Motown might not be together much longer. There have been rumblings about the work ethic (or lack thereof) of Charles Rogers, Roy Williams and Mike Williams, and how it might stall the progress new offensive coordinator Mike Martz is trying to make during the Lions' offseason program. Last month, Detroit added unrestricted free agent wide receiver Corey Bradford of Houston and now Furrey, who played wide receiver for Martz in St. Louis before moving to free safety in 2005, has come aboard.

A former Arena Football League standout, Furrey is a hard worker, knows the Martz design, and will move back to wide receiver with the Lions now. Martz isn't exactly known for his patience and it won't take long for him to become frustrated if the big-name wide receivers in Detroit lag behind the learning curve. Also, first-year head coach Rod Marinelli has made it clear he won't reconcile laggards. Lions team president Matt Millen already has swallowed hard by putting Harrington on the trading block. It might not be long before one or more of the team's former first-round wide receivers, all of them brought in to play in the West Coast style offense of deposed coach Steve Mariucci, are out the door, too.

Mike Furrey as a late round gamble? Martz is such a wildcard with this team... You've got to think someone is going to put up numbers, but I wonder how well he will adapt to the talent he has. His receivers are not in the mold of Holt and Bruce... and I don't see Kevin Jones as being able to fill a Faulk role.

More fodder from Pasquerelli on ESPN Insider:

Mike Furrey as a late round gamble?  Martz is such a wildcard with this team... You've got to think someone is going to put up numbers, but I wonder how well he will adapt to the talent he has.  His receivers are not in the mold of Holt and Bruce... and I don't see Kevin Jones as being able to fill a Faulk role.

1411176[/snapback]

If a guy named Furrey is ever a quality NFL receiver than I officially quit Fantasy Football.