[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vikings Mini Camp

Outshined

Teams that hire new coaches get to do a couple extra mini-camps before the draft. I know Big-Ten posted the Lions report - Here is the Vikings report. I would like to hear some of the other teams reports...

Vikings mini camp: Day 1 News and Notes

Last Update: 4/7/2006 3:28:58 PM

Jon Buck

KFAN.com

The Minnesota Vikings coaching staff began the task of evaluating talent as they began a three-day mini camp at Winter Park today.

As practice started the team stretched together and went through individual drills. The offense, wearing white and the defense, wearing purple went through various drills.

-Running backs worked with balls that had a spandex coating, making it more difficult to grip.

-Linebackers practiced shooting the gap and attacking lanes using upside down garbage cans.

Head Coach Brad Childress watched the running backs and linebackers with intensity and they drilled. New running back Chester Taylor excelled in drills and looks poised to accept his role as the feature back.

The offense and defense squared off and ran plays against each other while coaches evaluated players. Defensive Coordinator Mike Tomlin was very vocal and emphasised the importance of ball awareness.

Offensive Line

-Center Matt Birk looked to be moving very well.

-Steve Hutchinson was explosive off the line.

-Mike Rosenthal moved well.

Linebackers

-Linebackers fly towards the ball in the new Tampa 2 defense.

-Ben Leber saw extended playing time, and looked aggressive.

-E.J. Henderson and Dontarrious Thomas both looked agressive and explosive.

Wide Receivers & Tight Ends

-Koren Robinson caught passes all over the field.

-Tight end Jermaine Wiggins caught several passes as a check down receiver.

-Tight end Richard Owens worked out with running backs.

Quarterbacks

-Starting QB Brad Johnson looked comfortable and his passes were accurate.

-Johnson moved well in rollout situations and made many good reads including a long pass down the sideline to WR Ryan Hoag.

-Johnson's lone mistake was a pass intercepted by Fred Smoot.

-Mike McMahon had passes that sailed long.

-McMahon tucked the ball and ran a few times with some success.

-J.T. O'Sullivan saw limited action.

Running Backs

-Chester Taylor runs aggresive.

-Ciatrick Fason had numerous carries and looks to be the #2 back.

-Richard Owens, Joey Goodspeed and Tony Richardson all were active blocking.

Defensive Backs

-Fred Smoot was the most active player, intercepting one and breaking up a few passes. After the interception, defensive coordinator yelled, "Pep-rally is over, next play."

-Darren Sharper was active in the Tampa 2, swarming towards the ball.

Special Teams

-Ryan Longwell was perfect on the day.

-Chris Kluwe went through motions but did not punt the ball.

-Long snapper Cullen Loeffler was spot on in both field goals and punts.

Notes...

-Fred Smoot is now wearing #21

-Troy Williamson is now wearing #82

-All players attended except WR Aaron Hosack, CB Ronyell Whitaker and OT Sean Bubin, who are all playing in NFL Europe.

-Coach Childress is happy with Matt Birk's progress and said, "He's doing everthing we've asked of him."

-Vikings owner Zigi Wilf was happy the House of Representatives approved the Gopher Stadium plan. Wilf stated, "We just need the opportunity to be heard." He has a great feeling with the new coaching staff.

Vikings mini camp runs through April 9.

I read they were planning on cutting onterrio in May. Forget where I saw it. I'll get the link if I can remember.

Good news on Birk.

What's going to happen wth Onterrio? Will they cut him, have him come back and trade him? Any ideas.

1410788[/snapback]

Most people think he'll get cut because the team does not want to take a chance on him getting suspended again. We will find out in May.

3. RB Onterrio Smith Likely To Be Released In May

Summary: According to a league source, troubled Minnesota Vikings running back Onterrio Smith will be released when his suspension is up in May. It's unfortunate that Smith couldn't stay out of trouble because nobody has ever doubted his athletic ability, just his character and decision-making.

Our View: Yet another case of a talented athlete not being able to control himself off the field. The article chronicles Smith’s missteps. It wouldn’t be surprising to see another team take a look at Smith, but he hasn't been someone that can be relied upon by an NFL or fantasy franchise.

Article link:

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/article...kings040406.php

Edited by irish

Big mistake if they release Onterrio. He has the ability to win games and he makes peanuts. I'll be pretty upset if they simply release him and then he gets signed by another team and blows up. Why not give him a roster spot over someone like Echemandu?

Big mistake if they release Onterrio.  He has the ability to win games and he makes peanuts.  I'll be pretty upset if they simply release him and then he gets signed by another team and blows up.  Why not give him a roster spot over someone like Echemandu?

1410832[/snapback]

Yeah, the new owner seems to know how to run things and doesn't appear very flexible. I bet they release him because of his problems. His pot problems go back to college. He transferred to Oregon because they kicked him out of Tennessee for pot.

The release of Onterrio could be a good thing for the Colts?

1410958[/snapback]

I wonder if he is under contract and maybe they will try and trade him for a pick next year or player. Whats his worth? A late round pick: 5-6th?

1410958[/snapback]

I sure hope so. That's why I drafted him in the 80th round. He is a solid runner and picks up the blitz well. The Colts probably won't do it, but you never know.

Contract Details

Smith signed a three-year contract with the Vikings on July 27, 2003. The deal is worth $1.25 million and includes a $330,000 signing bonus according to the St. Paul Pioneer Press.

Is his contract up?

If he is a RFA wouldn't they get a 4th round pick for him since that is where he was drafted?

Edited by Randall

What's going to happen wth Onterrio? Will they cut him, have him come back and trade him? Any ideas.

1410788[/snapback]

* Zygi Wilf indicated Saturday that the Vikings might be willing to bring back Onterrio Smith. His year-long supsension ends next month.

http://vikings.scout.com/2/518476.html

This comes from scout.com. I don't think that the team is necessarily planning on releasing him. They certainly wouldn't get good value in a trade, but thats nothing new to the Vikings.