[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Trading players for round picks

cliaz

Okay I got a question for all of you peeps:

In our league (I’m the commish) and I’ve okayed trading a player for a draft pick. This is the rule I put in place BUT I’m thinking it’s stuff. So suggestion would be nice from you all that have a rule like this established:

You can trade a player for a draft pick but that player must be used as a keeper. The team receiving the player has to use the standard keeper rules for the player (whatever round that player was drafted in is the round you give up to keep him.).

Example would be:

Team A trades Santana Moss to Team B for Team B’s 4th round pick. Santana Moss was drafted in the 8th round so Team B must give up his 8th round pick to keep him plus his 4th round pick that is trade to Team A.

That rules is for crap to me but I do not have any other way I can think of to do this. Seems the team receiving the player gives up way too much.

Any help from you guys would be great.

thanks

In our league (I’m the commish) and I’ve okayed trading a player for a draft pick.  This is the rule I put in place BUT I’m thinking it’s stuff.  So suggestion would be nice from you all that have a rule like this established:

You can trade a player for a draft pick but that player must be used as a keeper.  The team receiving the player has to use the standard keeper rules for the player (whatever round that player was drafted in is the round you give up to keep him.).

Example would be:

Team A trades Santana Moss to Team B for Team B’s 4th round pick.  Santana Moss was drafted in the 8th round so Team B must give up his 8th round pick to keep him plus his 4th round pick that is trade to Team A.

That rules is for crap to me but I do not have any other way I can think of to do this.  Seems the team receiving the player gives up way too much.

thanks

1412162[/snapback]

I dunno--I think it's a good idea, but we have setup the league so that for every one kept player (with a max of six) you give up your first round draft pick. So if you kept 4 players you would give up draft picks 1-4. To me, it seems like if a team owner wanted to trade a player for a draft pick, the player, and draft pick(s) that are in the trade should be up to the team owners. :D

I think for the rules your league has set in place it seems like a good idea though. What advice is it that you are mostly looking for?

Those are standard fare rules for leagues that give up draft picks to keep players.

The owner acquiring a player has to take the cost of keeping the player acquired in consideration with what they are giving up to get the player.

A savvy owner in a situation such as that would use the cost of keeping the player in the negotiations, such as including the Moss owners 8th rounder in the deal in exchange for say a 10th or 11th round pick.... offsets the cost of keeping Moss in a sense down to a 10th-11th round pick as they would still have an 8th rounder and the owner getting the pick for Moss only takes a late round drop in order to unload Moss and get the pick.

We have the same keeping rules (lose the round pick in which player was originally drafted). We tried this last year and it quickly got out of hand. A guy with no keepers offered a 4th, 6th, and 9th round pick to keep Roy Williams with a 10th rounder. I was going to get Kevin Jones for a 3rd round pick. Everyone got pissed and we scrapped the whole thing and added a rule that if you trade a player for a pick, the player must count as your keeper. We limit to 2 keepers (one from rounds 1-9, one from 10-18 so maybe that would make it different than yours).

went through many different rules regarding this, and ended up naming keepers 2 weeks prior to draft day, then only allowing those keepers named to be traded for draft picks, we do not use the rounds they were originally drafted in though, it was to confusing, so we keep a min of 3 and a max of 5.

went through many different rules regarding this, and ended up naming keepers 2 weeks prior to draft day, then only allowing those keepers named to be traded for draft picks, we do not use the rounds they were originally drafted in though, it was to confusing, so we keep a min of 3 and a max of 5.

1412443[/snapback]

That is similar to what my leagues rules are. It is much easier NOT to follow what round they were orginally drafted in.

With consistency in performing changing for most players, it is not crucial to try to fit when they were orginally drafted.

Once keepers are named and only being able to trade those keepers for picks has worked out very well for my league. The player involved in the trade as to be kept, barring major injury of course, then in that case that ower will be allowed to review his roster for another keeper.

See, I personally prefer being able to trade players that I amy choose not to keep for picks to a team that may choose to keep said player. Essentially it would work out the same if I declare a player a keeper initially then traded them, however, it does not work out in leagues with a fixed number of keepers where you can not use the depth of your roster to build/maintain a strong team.

Seems like not allowing owners to trade their players that they may choose to not keep to a team willing to pay not only the cost of the trade, but the cost of keeping the player is very restricting to all parties involved. You have a team that is willing to trade a player, and a team willing to pay to acquire said player so that he does not enter the draft pool. Win/Win for both parties. The first team gets something for a player they may have chosen to drop, and the second team gets a player they want without running the chance of that player getting drafted before they pick.

See, I personally prefer being able to trade players that I amy choose not to keep for picks to a team that may choose to keep said player. Essentially it would work out the same if I declare a player a keeper initially then traded them, however, it does not work out in leagues with a fixed number of keepers where you can not use the depth of your roster to build/maintain a strong team.

Seems like not allowing owners to trade their players that they may choose to not keep to a team willing to pay not only the cost of the trade, but the cost of keeping the player is very restricting to all parties involved. You have a team that is willing to trade a player, and a team willing to pay to acquire said player so that he does not enter the draft pool. Win/Win for both parties. The first team gets something for a player they may have chosen to drop, and the second team gets a player they want without running the chance of that player getting drafted before they pick.

1413468[/snapback]

Oh no the team who has the player and is trading him away does NOT have to declare him a keeper, only the team that receives the player MUST keep that player as one of his keepers.

Oh no the team who has the player and is trading him away does NOT have to declare him a keeper, only the team that receives the player MUST keep that player as one of his keepers.

1413599[/snapback]

Is there a reason why?

I mean, from a common sense perspective, if you trade picks for a player in the offseason, you certainly should be planning to keep the player you are getting, but, logically, what is the point of FORCING the owner to do so?

In our league (I’m the commish) and I’ve okayed trading a player for a draft pick.  This is the rule I put in place BUT I’m thinking it’s stuff.  So suggestion would be nice from you all that have a rule like this established:

You can trade a player for a draft pick but that player must be used as a keeper.  The team receiving the player has to use the standard keeper rules for the player (whatever round that player was drafted in is the round you give up to keep him.).

Example would be:

Team A trades Santana Moss to Team B for Team B’s 4th round pick.  Santana Moss was drafted in the 8th round so Team B must give up his 8th round pick to keep him plus his 4th round pick that is trade to Team A.

That rules is for crap to me but I do not have any other way I can think of to do this.  Seems the team receiving the player gives up way too much.

thanks

1412162[/snapback]

These rules have worked out well for my league:

Keeper rules

*Each team will be allowed to keep 4 position players (you can't keep Team Kickers or Team

Def/Sp)

* You can't keep a 1st round draft pick

Examples:

* A 2nd round draft pick this season will be eligible to be a 1st round keeper next season

* A 3rd round or 4th round draft pick this season will be eligible to be a 2nd round keeper next

season.

* A 5th round or 6th round draft pick this season will be eligible to be a 3rd round keeper next

season.

* A 19th round or 20th round draft pick this season will be eligible to be a 10th round keeper

next season.

*Waiver/Free agent pickups as Keepers will be handled as follows:

Pickups in week 1 through 5 will be a 5th round keeper next season

Pickups in week 6 through 10 will be an 8th round keeper next season

Pickups in week 11 through 16 will be an 11th round keeper next season

Amendment 1: You can NOT drop a player one week (ex. wk5) and then having the first pick the following week (ex. wk6) pick up that player now as a 8th round keeper. If this specific procedure is used (by a league owner) the player that is picked up reverts to his previous draft round status (before he was dropped).

Amendment 2: The precedence is as followed: We have always been able to draft players that opted to retire from the NFL such as Barry Sanders or Terrell Davis and we have also been able to draft those players that walked away quietly such as Ricky Watters or Jamal Anderson. In both of these examples all four player were prior official NFL players, but Maurice Clarett & Michael Williams were deemed by the U.S. Supreme Court and the NFL as not eligible for the NFL Draft. So unless a player has been an official NFL player, he will not be eligible for our draft or free agent waiver draft.

Amendment 3: If any players drafted in the 1st and 2nd rounds of the annual draft is waived during the season due to injuries - The keeper value for the following season is +1 rd. All other players will fall under the original rule.