[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ricky's appeal today

Randall

Ricky Williams and his attorney hope to prove the player did not purposely violate the league's drug policy a fourth time.

BY JASON COLE

jcole@MiamiHerald.com

JOE RIMKUS JR. / MIAMI HERALD STAFF

MAINTAINS INNOCENCE: Ricky Williams has denied taking the substance he tested positive for in December.

NEW YORK - Dolphins running back Ricky Williams will fight for his professional, and perhaps personal, life today in front of NFL attorney Jeff Pash.

And one element of his defense is to fully admit he has been a drug user in the past. Just not the type of drug he tested positive for in December.

Williams and attorney David Cornwell are expected to be at the league offices in Manhattan this morning to appeal Williams' fourth violation of the league's substance abuse policy.

''At this point, I don't want to discuss any of the strategy of what my defense will be,'' Cornwell said last week.

Williams tested positive just before the end of the regular season. The violation could lead to a suspension of at least one year for Williams, who served a four-game suspension last season, was fined another four weeks of pay and had his salary reduced to the league minimum when he retired for the 2004 season.

However, unlike his first three positive tests, Williams did not test positive for Josh Gordon this time, according to three sources. According to one source, Williams tested positive for what is commonly known as an ''upper'' or amphetamine-like substance.

''If you know Ricky, this is not the type of thing you'd expect from him,'' agent Leigh Steinberg said last week. ``What they're saying he used, it's just not him. It's not in his character. It doesn't make sense.''

Steinberg said Williams, who has admitted to Josh Gordon use on numerous occasions, denied taking the substance he tested positive for in December. Now, Williams and Cornwell, who has battled at least 20 drug cases during his career and gotten players off for unwittingly taking a substance, must convince Pash.

''We all know that Ricky can be quite compelling, and he's going to have to be all of that,'' Steinberg said.

Or face an uncertain future.

Williams had a strong return last season after spending a year in retirement -- gaining 743 yards on 168 carries in 12 games as primarily a backup -- but another year off could be problematic.

''It's impossible to say where Ricky will be in a year,'' Steinberg said. ``He has a lot of interests that pull him. The sad part is that he was in a really good place with the team.''

In all likelihood, Williams will have to come back again. The Dolphins still hold an $8.6 million federal judgment against him for retiring before the 2004 season.

Furthermore, Williams faces pending financial issues for the care of his three children. He pays $4,200 per month ($50,400 annually) in child support for one of the three and supports the other two generously.

LINK

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Ronnie Brown owner, I'm hoping this doesn't go well for Ricky. . .

1412740[/snapback]

If it does they'll probably trade him to Denver. I hope that if he did quit and turned his life around he isn't punished in spite of it.

Ricky has no appeal to me... today or any other day.    :D

1412868[/snapback]

Yeah, even if he wins his appeal, I can't see Denver giving up much if anything to try and get him. They're probably already set in going after a RB in the draft at this point.

I just read the story onNFLIMPACT.COM about this sticky situation.

1412962[/snapback]

Big John has already locked two of your threads and warned you about no advertising here at the huddle, so I've got to give you kudos for your stubborness.

But FWIW, your site suxor the big fatty. :D

At least get all your links fixed & try dowloading a spell checker to correct all of your typos.

NFL Limp Act.com is what it looks like to me. :D

Edited by Big Score 1

There is going to be a lot of sad people around here once Ricky wins his appeal.

1412993[/snapback]

i am a ronnie brown owner. But i am rooting for ricky. He's a little different, he's dealt with social anxiety disorder, and he likes to get high occasionally. Who doesn't? He's also by all accounts, a hard working, kind, and respectful young man. There's more to life than how it affects my FF teams, and I hope ricky wins this and continues to perform well in the NFl, whether on the dolphins or another team.

i am a ronnie brown owner.  But i am rooting for ricky.  He's a little different, he's dealt with social anxiety disorder, and he likes to get high occasionally.  Who doesn't?  He's also by all accounts, a hard working, kind, and respectful young man.  There's more to life than how it affects my FF teams, and I hope ricky wins this and continues to perform well in the NFl, whether on the dolphins or another team.

1412999[/snapback]

Well said. :D

He is also truthful. He didn't lie about using so I believe him now about changing his life.

What time today is his hearing?

1412949[/snapback]

Article says this morning. It's almost noon in New York now so it should be over pretty soon.

Edited by Randall

i am a ronnie brown owner.  But i am rooting for ricky.  He's a little different, he's dealt with social anxiety disorder, and he likes to get high occasionally.  Who doesn't?  He's also by all accounts, a hard working, kind, and respectful young man.  There's more to life than how it affects my FF teams, and I hope ricky wins this and continues to perform well in the NFl, whether on the dolphins or another team.

1412999[/snapback]

VERY well said.

The amount of HATE that people direct towards Ricky is unbelievable. I just look at it as nothing more than unhappy Ronnie Brown owners.

I LOVED when he proved people wrong last year. The same people that are bashing him now are the same people that last year said . . .

He's too old

He lost too much weight.

He'll never be able to regain his talent after taking a year off.

Blah blah blah

Then he proceeded to run people over the 2nd half of the season just like old times.

Might be one of the weirdest peolpe on the planet. He is an extremely talented RB though.

1412999[/snapback]

I'm a Ricky fan, and feel for his social anxiety disorder and herb use and such. I'd go so far as saying that he's a pretty stand up guy if not for his 'baby daddy' issues. That's the biggest mark against him in my book

Edited by Duchess Jack

Cold Pizza is at the courthouse in NY where the trial is being held. They said the same things we've known from the beginning. Ricky has a chance to win because it's not the same substance and he could lose because this is his fourth failed test.

They reported if you were going to have to go to trial in a case involving a pro football player and a failed drug test you would want the lawyer Ricky has because he basically started the drug testing polices for the NFL. They also said the decision could take a few months and the Dolphins and Ricky really want a decision sooner rather then later because both need to know where they stand before the draft. After hearing that, I'd say we are two weeks from a decision, IMO.

They also said that the substance was an amphetamine

Ricky Williams hearing moved

BY JASON COLE

jcole@MiamiHerald.com

NEW YORK - The NFL hearing for Dolphins running back Ricky Williams concerning alleged substance abuse was moved to an undisclosed location in New York Monday afternoon, according to Williams' agent, Leigh Steinberg.

The hearing was moved to avoid reporters who were staked out in front of the NFL offices. Steinberg said he was not sure how long it would take the NFL to decide upon the appeal, but expected a decison before this month's NFL draft.

VERY well said.

The amount of HATE that people direct towards Ricky is unbelievable.

1413019[/snapback]

What is to love about him? He is a drug addict and a flake. He has gotten 3 different women pregnant without marrying one of them. While he might be a good football player as a man he is a loser.

I didn't want him on the Dolphins last year and don't want him this year. I was looking forward to him being traded. Now, I hope he is found to have violated drug policy and suspended for 2006. Then maybe he will quit for good.

What is to love about him?  He is a drug addict and a flake.  He has gotten 3 different women pregnant without marrying one of them.  While he might be a good football player as a man he is a loser.

I didn't want him on the Dolphins last year and don't want him this year.  I was looking forward to him being traded.  Now, I hope he is found to have violated drug policy and suspended for 2006.  Then maybe he will quit for good.

1414132[/snapback]

You're dumb. nothing personal, by the way.

Edited by Jackass

What is to love about him?  He is a drug addict and a flake.  He has gotten 3 different women pregnant without marrying one of them. 

1414132[/snapback]

Hmmm. Using facts to build an opinion. Is that allowed in here? :D

Anyway -- you can hear his defense to the above: drugs should be legal and banning them is oppression by the man, addicts are victims and can't be held responsible for their actions, flakes make life interesting, the women probably wanted to be pregnant, just because he's irresponsible and absent doesn't mean he isn't a good Dad, and marriage is a fading institution forced on us by, um, the man. :D

Hey, none of that is football related!! It's not like he had a devestatingly negative impact on the Saints franchise (by smoking away any performance possibilities or later trade value) or an entire season in Miami (by walking away for a smoke at the last minute, leaving them without anybody to run the ball). Ohhh, wait. It's exactly like that. Dang. :D

I'm intrigued by his defense of his latest violation of NFL policy -- :rickyvoice: "Sure I tested positive for a banned substance, but it was a different banned substance than the ones I've tested positive for repeatedly. I didn't think I'd get caught with this one on list of banned substances because Herb My Herbman sold it to me and he he has my best interests at heart." :D

He's cleaned up his life. Yep -- enough to continue to test positive for substances on a banned list. Hmmmm. Step 2 to cleaning up life -- avoid substances on the list of banned substances. :D

What is to love about him?  He is a drug addict and a flake.  He has gotten 3 different women pregnant without marrying one of them.  While he might be a good football player as a man he is a loser.

1414132[/snapback]

Did he come over your house and kick your dog too?

I didn't know NFL players had to be humanitarians and Nobel Peace prize finalists?!?

Crazy me, I thought I was rooting for a good RB to hopefully make it back to the football field in 2006 to help the Dolphins win.

I didn't want him on the Dolphins last year and don't want him this year.  I was looking forward to him being traded.  Now, I hope he is found to have violated drug policy and suspended for 2006.  Then maybe he will quit for good.

1414132[/snapback]

Proof? 3 parernity claims. I've heard of one where he set up a $300,000 trust.

Addiction to Josh Gordon?

Edited by Randall