[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Titans sandbagging about Young?

Swiss Cheezhead

One local writer's take:

Let's say it's Draft Day and the Titans are on the clock.

Let's say the Texans followed the script and picked Reggie Bush at No. 1.

Let's say the Saints worked a last-minute deal with the Jets, who picked Matt Leinart at No. 2.

So it's the Titans' turn at No. 3.

This is a no-brainer, right?

For weeks, we have assumed that the Titans are in an either/or holding pattern at quarterback. If Leinart is there, they would have to choose between him and Vince Young. If Leinart is gone, Young is their man, and vice versa.

So with Leinart off the board, it's Young.

Right?

Right?

I'm not so sure.

Vince Young is the most compelling player in the draft, eliciting the most disparate reviews from various NFL outposts. Some teams love him. Some teams are, shall we say, less enamored.

Where do the Titans stand?

Well …

If you think you're getting a straight answer on this or any other question dealing with the draft from Titans GM Floyd Reese, there's some oceanfront property in MetroCenter I'd like to sell you.

The only way to tell if an NFL general manager is lying at draft time is if his lips are moving. Every team is trying to mislead the competition. There's more misinformation than at a Conspiracies R Us convention.

The Titans and every other team high in the draft order run the risk of being the NFL version of the Portland Trailblazers, circa 1984. Picking second that year (Hakeem Olajuwon was off the board), Portland selected center Sam Bowie from Kentucky.

In turn, Chicago used the No. 3 pick to take Michael Jordan.

The same kind of risk/reward equation faces each team that considers drafting Young. Given his physical gifts and leadership ability, Young could become an NFL superstar.

Given his awkward throwing mechanics and lack of exposure to a sophisticated offense ("We just decided to let Vince be Vince," Coach Mack Brown said), Young could be another Ryan Leaf or Heath Shuler.

Decisions, decisions.

Many Titans fans elevated Young to the top of their wish lists after he gave Southern Cal's defense vertigo in the Rose Bowl. And, yes, it was as impressive a one-man show as you'll see, especially considering the stakes and the level of competition. When a quarterback throws for 267 yards and runs for 200 more, it makes you sit up and take notice.

But some of those who grade game tape for a living will tell you one-half to two-thirds of the 467 yards of total offense would have been eliminated by an average NFL defense. The scrambles would have been contained. Several passes would have been knocked down or never released because of a decent pass rush.

Instead, you have to consider Young's entire body of work, not just his body-by-God physique. And that's where the Titans and other teams are struggling to determine how Young's game translates to the pros.

His college career was spent taking snaps in the shotgun. Texas' offense was stripped down and simple. One of the criticisms of Leinart — that he was surrounded by superior talent — also should be attached to Young. The Longhorns were loaded.

So which way do the Titans turn if Bush and Leinart are the top two picks?

Gut feeling: The Titans are squeamish about Young.

They trade down.

And pick Jay Cutler.

First of all, Mack Brown's quote is very telling. If I were a NFL GM, that quote alone would be enough to scare me off Vince Young.

Secondly, I agree with the entire piece, other than the last part. I still find it hard to believe they'd pass up Ferguson at #3, especially if they'd be targeting a different QB in round 2 or 3.

First of all, Mack Brown's quote is very telling. If I were a NFL GM, that quote alone would be enough to scare me off Vince Young.

Secondly, I agree with the entire piece, other than the last part. I still find it hard to believe they'd pass up Ferguson at #3, especially if they'd be targeting a different QB in round 2 or 3.

1413514[/snapback]

Well, the only way your scenario works, and I dont think it will, is that the Titans would have to rate 1 of those 2nd tier QB's very highly. Somebody like say, Brodie Croyle. If they like him as much as Young and Cutler, they could take Brick at 1.3, and then know that Croyle would still be around in the early 2nd. I highly doubt this scenario, but it is possible...

Well, the only way your scenario works, and I dont think it will, is that the Titans would have to rate 1 of those 2nd tier QB's very highly.  Somebody like say, Brodie Croyle.  If they like him as much as Young and Cutler, they could take  Brick at 1.3, and then know that Croyle would still be around in the early 2nd.  I highly doubt this scenario, but it is possible...

1413617[/snapback]

This is a scenario that I am hoping happens for the Titans.

Well, the only way your scenario works, and I dont think it will, is that the Titans would have to rate 1 of those 2nd tier QB's very highly.  Somebody like say, Brodie Croyle.  If they like him as much as Young and Cutler, they could take  Brick at 1.3, and then know that Croyle would still be around in the early 2nd.  I highly doubt this scenario, but it is possible...

1413617[/snapback]

Well, not necessarily. They could like Croyle behind Ferguson and Roos better than Cutler/Young behind Roos and...David Stewart?

The Jets aren't trading up to #2. You can take that to the bank: Mangini is from the Belicheck/Parcells program where premium is placed on depth over a single, stud quality position player. If he wants to rebuild, now is the chance with 4 or 5 of the top 100 picks.

This is a scenario that I am hoping happens for the Titans.

1413618[/snapback]

As an NFL fan, or as a Lions fan? I'm hoping that Leinart, Young, Cutler, and Bush are all gone in the first 8 picks as a Lions fan. That would mean one of the following would be available for the Lions: Ferguson, Williams, Huff, Hawk, or Ngata. I'd take any of the first four on that list, and I bet the Lions would get some decent offers for the right to draft Ngata.

Well, not necessarily. They could like Croyle behind Ferguson and Roos better than Cutler/Young behind Roos and...David Stewart?

1413645[/snapback]

Or, like I have been telling you for months, they could go QB at 1.3 and then get an OT later in the draft like round 2 or 3. Floyd Reese RARELY takes linemen in the first round. And by rarely, I mean the only time he did so was in 1993 when he took Brad Hopkins. Floyd Reese has stated repeatedly over the past several years that he believes that very good lineman are always available in the mid and late rounds of the draft. All indications at this point are that they will indeed take Leinart or Young and then get a lineman later.

As an NFL fan, or as a Lions fan?  I'm hoping that Leinart, Young, Cutler, and Bush are all gone in the first 8 picks as a Lions fan.  That would mean one of the following would be available for the Lions: Ferguson, Williams, Huff, Hawk, or Ngata.  I'd take any of the first four on that list, and I bet the Lions would get some decent offers for the right to draft Ngata.

1414142[/snapback]

Come on! You know that Millen will take the best WR on the board at 1.9... :D

As an NFL fan, or as a Lions fan?  I'm hoping that Leinart, Young, Cutler, and Bush are all gone in the first 8 picks as a Lions fan.  That would mean one of the following would be available for the Lions: Ferguson, Williams, Huff, Hawk, or Ngata.  I'd take any of the first four on that list, and I bet the Lions would get some decent offers for the right to draft Ngata.

1414142[/snapback]

No, as a person who has adopted the Titans as his 2nd team.

I now live in Tenne and I think taking D'Brick gives them the best chance to win.

EDIT: I am hoping we(the Lions) somehow end up with Ngata.

Edited by Doc Holliday

1413514[/snapback]

that's just plain silly. the fact that giving young a large amount of freedom to improvise gave them the most unstoppable offense in the country would scare you OFF of young? i mean, i think you're reading mack's quote and hearing "we just let vince be vince because he's too stupid to do anything else". where i'm hearing, "we just let vince be vince because he kicked the everloving chit out of everybody we played".

that's just plain silly.  the fact that giving young a large amount of freedom to improvise gave them the most unstoppable offense in the country would scare you OFF of young?  i mean, i think you're reading mack's quote and hearing "we just let vince be vince because he's too stupid to do anything else".  where i'm hearing, "we just let vince be vince because he kicked the everloving chit out of everybody we played".

1414735[/snapback]

Yeah, but you know that at the NFL level discipline can beat talent. And if hasn't been trained to be disciplined any team that takes him faces his learning curve of realizing although he might be the fastest guy on the field (not a guarantee) his improv ability won't translate to the same level of success.

See: Ryan Leaf (who admittedly had what 1/3 the college start Young had but wasn't disclipined).

Yeah, but you know that at the NFL level discipline can beat talent. And if hasn't been trained to be disciplined any team that takes him faces his learning curve of realizing although he might be the fastest guy on the field (not a guarantee) his improv ability won't translate to the same level of success.

See: Ryan Leaf (who admittedly had what 1/3 the college start Young had but wasn't disclipined).

1414770[/snapback]

see also: john elway. or steve mcnair. how "disciplined" were they in college?

or how about jay f'n cutler? dude was down 50 points every game, flinging it like his life depended on it (and still losing, of course). not exactly the most "controlled", "disciplined" offensive environment either. yet nobody has these questions with him.

see also: john elway.  or steve mcnair.  how "disciplined" were they in college?

or how about jay f'n cutler?  dude was down 50 points every game, flinging it like his life depended on it (and still losing, of course).  not exactly the most "controlled", "disciplined" offensive environment either.  yet nobody has these questions with him.

1414793[/snapback]

Steve McNair didn't take a starting snap in the NFL for 3 years after he was drafted. Was it worth it for him and the oilers? Sure it was.

It wasn't for the bengals and Akili Smith.

And if you have to pull John Elway out of your hat in an attempt to make your point, then you just made mine.

Unless, of course, you truly believe that Vince Young is on his way to a Hall of Fame career.

Steve McNair didn't take a starting snap in the NFL for 3 years after he was drafted. Was it worth it for him and the oilers? Sure it was.

It wasn't for the bengals and Akili Smith.

And if you have to pull John Elway out of your hat in an attempt to make your point, then you just made mine.

Unless, of course, you truly believe that Vince Young is on his way to a Hall of Fame career.

1414801[/snapback]

I think the Akili Smith to Steve McNair maybe the best model. I do believe VY will need a yr for sure to learn but 2 yrs to learn would be best. or a 1 and a half. But throwing him to the wolves would be the WORST! I mean WORST thing to do.

Vince is the Michael Jordan of this draft, all others will pale in comparison in 5 yrs and 10 yrs

1415171[/snapback]

Michael was the best guard in history, perhaps the best player. Vince looked good in college, but Michael was a better pro than college player. I guess we'll see in 5 years.

I like Vince Young and hope the Raiders take him at 1.7, but I'm very nervous about that Wonderlic score. It's one thing to have a low-brow DT or even RB, but I think the QB should at least be able to read the playbook.