[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's Grilling Season : Preface

junebugz

It might be grilling season for cliaz :D

but I need a grill.

What suggestions have you? Preferably something cheaper (less than or slightly higher than $300), but not as cheap as the $99 Wally World special.

I wouldn't mind a Natural Gas either. Had one at our previous house and it was great not having to take tank trips. Have a hook up at the new place, but no grill to go along with it.

I know that the options for NG might be limited for that price though. :D

Really depends. Charcoal or gas?

I've gone to charcoal and would recommend a Weber kettle. I have the One Touch Platinum. I'd get one of these charcoal starters as well.

Or, you can get the Performer version that has gas assist.

For gas, the Weber Genesis Silver A is a good value for around $399.

Weber stuff lasts forever. :D

Edited by georgemoe

we needed a new one about a year ago...... got a decent kenmore and it has done a nice job. i decided not to get a side burner (my last grill had one). i found that because i am not dragging it all over the place there was no need as i can use the burners on my over if i had too.

Ah, the dream of the perfect grill....Sorry, doesn't exist.

I've got 3 and each serves a purpose

Generally:

Gas: more consistent heating, don't have to worry about lighting charcoal, etc.

Charcoal: Better taste if you don't have to cover in lighter fluid

Firebox: Best taste and many fireboxes can be used to grill and smoke.

For my gas grill, I've got a BroilMaster and love it. I looked at a number of grills and went with this brand because of the ability to get hot...darn hot. Perfect for searing meat. You can add all the options (side burners, rotiserrie,etc). Its big enough to do a good sized Turkey.

I've got a very simple Weber for a charcoal grill. It serves its purpose.

Finally, I've got a New Braunfels offset firebox. I use it mostly to smoke but on occasion, I'll use it to grill meat over whatever wood I choose. (bbqwoods.com)

I've been doing some research and found this grill rated highly on Consumer Reports. It was actually rated #1 out of the grills they tested. I'm thinking about picking one up this week.

Char-Broil

1414825[/snapback]

my dad had a Char-Broil hooked up to natural gas....dug it up and moved it to 3 different houses, best grill i've seen :D

I've been doing some research and found this grill rated highly on Consumer Reports. It was actually rated #1 out of the grills they tested. I'm thinking about picking one up this week.

Char-Broil

1414825[/snapback]

my last one was a char broil... had it about 10 years

CR report ratings

Medium Grills

In order of their rankings:

'E': Excellent

Vermont Castings (Home Depot, the 3 burner model) $400, CR Best Buy

Broilmaster P3 $1200,

Kenmore 16219 $350,

Vermont Castings VM450 (4 burner) $630,

Char-Broil Advantage (Lowes) $270, CR Best Buy

Weber Genesis $450,

'VG' Very Good

BBQ Grillware (Lowes) $200, CR Best Buy

Kenmore 16211 $180,

Napoleon UltraChef $550,

Ducane Standard Series 1605 $750,

Brinkmann Pro (WalMart) $200,

Holland Tradition $480,

Ducane Standard Series 1305 $650,

Brinkmann Pro 2200 $200,

CharBroil 7000 Quickset $160,

George Foreman GBQ440 $425,

Uniflame Wellington (WalMart) $250,

Frigidaire Gallery GL30 $1100.

I went with the BBQ Grillware last year. I can't find the model I bought - its a step up from the one shown here BBQ Grillware It went for about $300, was encased in stainless steel and had a side burner. I really like it.

CR report ratings

I went with the BBQ Grillware last year. I can't find the model I bought - its a step up from the one shown here BBQ Grillware It went for about $300, was encased in stainless steel and had a side burner. I really like it.

1415179[/snapback]

I would also recommend the Charbroil or the Vermont castings... both great grills for the price!

Check out my grill, I love it!!! :

Texas Sizzler

This baby is great for searing steaks!!!

That thing better give me a blowjob for that price.

1415231[/snapback]

Make your wife a good steak and maybe she'll take care of ya! :D

I paid about $1300 for mine; a store had a deal I couldn't pass up, it's always nice being able to cook with Steak House heat!

Guest Cherni

If you're looking at gas you should definitely consider a Weber. I know it was mentioned above, you can't go wrong. They last forever.

It is obligatory that I endorse the Big Green Egg:

http://www.biggreenegg.com/index.php?optio...id=11&Itemid=62

It cost more than $300. A large BGE is around $800. However, on it, you can bbq, grill, and smoke. I've seared steaks at 800 degrees; I've smoked boston butt for 20 hours at 195 degrees. I've smoked a turkey for thanksgiving, I've done ribs, pizza, vegetables, fish.

I am a frugal person (my wife says cheap). I looked for a year before purchasing one. This is a purchase that has far exceeded any of my expectations. Me and my brother bought one for my father for christmas and I thought he was going to do a cartwheel.

Gas grill? When was the last time you heard a grill master champion the taste of propane?

If you are in any way serious about the grilling/bbq/smoking experience, it's time for the Big Green Egg.

we needed a new one about a year ago......  got a decent kenmore and it has done a nice job.  i decided not to get a side burner (my last grill had one).  i found that because i am not dragging it all over the place there was no need as i can use the burners on my over if i had too.

1414817[/snapback]

I used my dad's new Kenmore last weekend - it was as nice as any Weber I've used. Nice, even, controllable heat over four burners. I'll probably buy one just like it.

It is obligatory that I endorse the Big Green Egg:

http://www.biggreenegg.com/index.php?optio...id=11&Itemid=62

It cost more than $300.  A large BGE is around $800.  However, on it, you can bbq, grill, and smoke.  I've seared steaks at 800 degrees; I've smoked boston butt for 20 hours at 195 degrees.  I've smoked a turkey for thanksgiving, I've done ribs, pizza, vegetables, fish. 

I am a frugal person (my wife says cheap).  I looked for a year before purchasing one.  This is a purchase that has far exceeded any of my expectations.  Me and my brother bought one for my father for christmas and I thought he was going to do a cartwheel.

Gas grill?  When was the last time you heard a grill master champion the taste of propane?

If you are in any way serious about the grilling/bbq/smoking experience, it's time for the Big Green Egg.

1415472[/snapback]

So what you are saying, if I'm hearing you correctly, is that you like the Big Green Egg?

So what you are saying, if I'm hearing you correctly, is that you like the Big Green Egg?

1428261[/snapback]

You have a keen insight and you are an astute judge of character.

I have found it satisfies my outdoor cooking experience. I have instructed my wife that I am to be cremated in my Big Green Egg.

I bought a Kenmore with a side burner and a "grill at night" feature that had a couple lights in it which was kinda cool but more of a selling point than anything (although I have used the lights a couple of times) I picked it up two summers ago on sale at Sears for $199.99 down from I think $289 or somethin like that. Have had no problems with it and I use the sh!t out of it.

I'm looking right now myself, I'm zeroing in on a grill at Lowes. I only cook charcaol, but this baby has the firebox as well for cooking with wood, and a smoke box that is opposite side of the chimney for adequate pull. The darn name escapes me at the moment, but it's like a hinged barrel with nice chimney that has a rain guard top welded on as well. It's very thick grade steel and the grates are 4 total, and their not wire but the 1/4 thick grates. It has a contoured metal sleve/sheild to cover the fire box for charcoal use, this rotate up to expose the firebox for wood cooking/BBQ, and the smoke box is mounted lower on the left side-very sweet grill. It comes with a thick cover and some other little accessories.

I'm looking right now myself, I'm zeroing in on a grill at Lowes. I only cook charcaol, but this baby has the firebox as well for cooking with wood, and a smoke box that is opposite side of the chimney for adequate pull. The darn name escapes me at the moment, but it's like a hinged barrel with nice chimney that has a rain guard top welded on as well. It's very thick grade steel and the grates are 4 total, and their not wire but the 1/4 thick grates. It has a contoured metal sleve/sheild to cover the fire box for charcoal use, this rotate up to expose the firebox for wood cooking/BBQ, and the smoke box is mounted lower on the left side-very sweet grill. It comes with a thick cover and some other little accessories.

1429813[/snapback]

Looks like a nice grill PD, if it's the same one I saw there last fall. It looked pretty sturdy and I am sure it can do some serious BBQ!