[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's Grilling Season : Preface

junebugz

I'm looking right now myself, I'm zeroing in on a grill at Lowes. I only cook charcaol, but this baby has the firebox as well for cooking with wood, and a smoke box that is opposite side of the chimney for adequate pull. The darn name escapes me at the moment, but it's like a hinged barrel with nice chimney that has a rain guard top welded on as well. It's very thick grade steel and the grates are 4 total, and their not wire but the 1/4 thick grates. It has a contoured metal sleve/sheild to cover the fire box for charcoal use, this rotate up to expose the firebox for wood cooking/BBQ, and the smoke box is mounted lower on the left side-very sweet grill. It comes with a thick cover and some other little accessories.

1429813[/snapback]

Just don't know if I have the patience for charcoal. The first grill we ever had was charcoal. Things do have a little better flavor, but you certainly gotta wait.

I used my dad's new Kenmore last weekend - it was as nice as any Weber I've used.  Nice, even, controllable heat over four burners.  I'll probably buy one just like it. 

1415474[/snapback]

Like all things Kenmore, they are made by other companies. Their higher end models ($300 or so and up) are made by Weber. I chose a Kenmore over the Weber at Sears because it had the electronic ignitor (put in a AA battery) while the Weber was one of the clicky ones. It's been a very good grill for $300.

Anybody that cooks with gas is a puss. No offense, that's just the way it is.

1432138[/snapback]

:D Maybe, but some of us don't have time for charcaol. Starter chimney or not, charcoal takes a whole lot longer than a gas grill.

:D  Maybe, but some of us don't have time for charcaol.  Starter chimney or not, charcoal takes a whole lot longer than a gas grill.

1432764[/snapback]

The way I see it, waiting for the charcoal to get ready is a good excuse to sit in a lawn chair on my deck and have a cold beer.

:D

:D  Maybe, but some of us don't have time for charcaol.  Starter chimney or not, charcoal takes a whole lot longer than a gas grill.

1432764[/snapback]

You fellas need to wake up and smell the charcoal. I cook over charcoal, and getting ready to start with wood as well this season. I also have a wood burning fireplace, as propane is good for some things, but not grilling, and for darn sure not a fireplace-give me Mrs.PD and the heat and ambience of a hickory and oak fire on a cold romantic winter night :D .

You fellas need to wake up and smell the charcoal. I cook over charcoal, and getting ready to start with wood as well this season. I also have a wood burning fireplace, as propane is good for some things, but not grilling, and for darn sure not a fireplace-give me Mrs.PD and the heat and ambience of a hickory and oak fire on a cold romantic winter night :D .

1433116[/snapback]

Cooking over wood will be a big improvement. You're opening up to a bunch of new flavors. After cooking over wood, you'll wonder why people would ever want their food tasting like charcoal. Get a whole bunch of different woods. I get mine from BBQWoods.com ....which is almost local so I'll make a couple trips / year to get wine and BBQ wood.

1432764[/snapback]

If time is a concern for you, consider McDonalds or Burger King. :D

With 3 hungry kids to take care of, propane is my friend.

When I find I have some spare time, I break out the the charcoal, mesquite chips, and the smoker.

Edited by Wolv

With 3 hungry kids to take care of, propane is my friend.

When I find I have some spare time, I break out the the charcoal, mesquite chips, and the smoker.

1438326[/snapback]

bingo

making suck balls and wild turkey this weekend

• 3 weeks later...

I narrowed it down to the Brinkman I spoke of earlier and the Royal Oak Deluxe Edition-I went with the Royal Oak due to the fact it has 560 cu in of cooking grate space. Put it together this afternoon and cooked Filet Migons 2" thick and my grilled tomatoes(cored and seasoned and wrapped in tin foil)-absolutley fabulous. I got mine from Wal-Mart and it takes about 2 hours to put together, it has four dampers to really get a hold on the temp so you can smoke, BBQ or Grill-I love it and have not even mastered it yet-looking forward to roasting oysters on it :D .

we needed a new one about a year ago......  got a decent kenmore and it has done a nice job.  i decided not to get a side burner (my last grill had one).  i found that because i am not dragging it all over the place there was no need as i can use the burners on my over if i had too.

1414817[/snapback]

+1

My opinion is that the whole argument that charcoal takes too long just doesn't fly. I can light my charcoal fire and be cooking in 20 minutes. I use that 20 minutes for final preparations of the food and to gather my grilling supplies.

The whole point for me is the process. Light the fire, crack a beer, grab the meat, grab the cooking utensils, cook. It takes 20 minutes to do all that anyway, so why not reap the benefits of better taste?

My opinion is that the whole argument that charcoal takes too long just doesn't fly. I can light my charcoal fire and be cooking in 20 minutes. I use that 20 minutes for final preparations of the food and to gather my grilling supplies.

The whole point for me is the process. Light the fire, crack a beer, grab the meat, grab the cooking utensils, cook. It takes 20 minutes to do all that anyway, so why not reap the benefits of better taste?

1478837[/snapback]

Bingo-as it's best to let your steaks/chicken/pork warm up at room temp in a maridade or rub while the coals are ashing over-it helps the meat cook more evenly. Get some side going etc..drink some brews :D