[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Do you want your FF players...

Dirty Weasel

Many people argue that it's better to have players that are on crappy teams, because their stats will get padded as they play catch-up all day long. I decided to see if the numbers say otherwise, and here's what I found:

QB

Of the top 10 FF QB's last year, 6 made the playoffs. 4 didn't.

RB

Of the top 10 FF RB's last year, 5 made the playoffs, 5 didn't.

WR

Of the top 10 FF WR's last year, 6 made the playoffs, 4 didn't.

TE

Of the top 10 FF TE's last year, 3 made the playoffs, 7 didn't.

K

Of the top 10 FF K's last year, 6 made the playoffs, 4 didn't.

Those are some pretty equal numbers, except for the TE anomaly. But here is the icing on the cake...

Def

Of the top 10 FF D's last year, 9 made the playoffs, 1 didn't.

Seems that defense even wins FF Championships, huh?

So, what you're saying is it doesn't matter.

1415699[/snapback]

Yup. I was always one to say I wanted players from teams with crap a$$ defenses, but I guess it doesn't really matter. But I did uncover two fun facts...

Guess how many Super Bowl winning Steelers players made the top 10 in any offensive category? You guessed it - none.

QB - Big Ben - 17th ranked FF QB

RB - FWP - 17th ranked FF RB

WR - Hines - 11th ranked FF WR

WR - Randle-El - 58th ranked FF WR

TE - Heath - 12th ranked FF TE

K - Reed - 12th ranked FF K

And one team had a top 10 offensive player in every category. Take a real quick guess without thinking too hard, then scroll down.....

QB - Eli - 5th ranked FF QB

RB - Tiki - 4th ranked FF RB

WR - Plax - 10th ranked FF WR

TE - Jeremy - 2nd ranked FF TE

K - Feely - 2nd ranked FF K

Breaking down the top ten is easy, but I am a firm believer that you want good players on good teams over the long haul because their teams being 'in it' down the stretch of weeks 12-17 is important lest your players get benched in 'experiements' or to get others playing time.

What is the breakdown of the second ten and third ten in each category, as that is where it's made or broken - that's just rhetorical although if someone wanted to do that I'd love to see the results. Picking Chad Johnson early was easy last year, but it was the guy in your league who reached and took Houshmanzadeh in the 4th or 5th who hit the jackpot.

Breaking down the top ten is easy, but I am a firm believer that you want good players on good teams over the long haul because their teams being 'in it' down the stretch of weeks 12-17 is important lest your players get benched in 'experiements' or to get others playing time.

What is the breakdown of the second ten and third ten in each category, as that is where it's made or broken - that's just rhetorical although if someone wanted to do that I'd love to see the results. Picking Chad Johnson early was easy last year, but it was the guy in your league who reached and took Houshmanzadeh in the 4th or 5th who hit the jackpot.

1415729[/snapback]

I'll post those results after Scrubs. It starts in 5 minutes...

I don't really judge my player on the whole team. As much as I try to fight it there are guys in the draft that come around and I'll take them early because he is a player I like or is on a team I like and vice versa in that I will never pick Peyton or Brady because I would hate all 16 weeks I'd have to start them.

Vick and Plummer over Manning and Brady :D

1415729[/snapback]

OK, here it is. The top 30 FFL'ers at each position last year (based on the standard scoring from the league I played in - your top 30 may be a little different). The highlighted players are from the teams that finished in the top 16 last year:

QB

1) Carson Palmer, 2) Tom Brady, 3) Peyton Manning, 4) Matt Hasselbeck, 5) Eli Manning, 6) Drew Brees, 7) Jake Plummer, 8) Drew Bledsoe, 9) Michael Vick, 10) Kerry Collins, 11) Jake Delhomme, 12) Trent Green, 13) Mark Brunell, 14) Brett Favre, 15) Steve McNair, 16) Gus Frerotte, 17) Ben Roethlisberger, 18) Aaron Brooks, 19) David Carr, 20) Donovan McNabb, 21) Byron Leftwich, 22) Marc Bulger, 23) Kurt Warner, 24) Brad Johnson, 25) Joey Harrington, 26) Trent Dilfer, 27) Chris Simms, 28) Kyle Boller, 29) Josh McCown, 30) Brooks Bollinger

A quick analysis says to have your QB on a winning team. They rule the top half of the list. But I did notice that the Cardinals had 2 QB's that made the top 30 list.

RB

1) Shaun Alexander, 2) LaDainian Tomlinson, 3) Larry Johnson, 4) Tiki Barber, 5) Edgerrin James, 6) Clinton Portis, 7) Lamont Jordan, 8) Rudi Johnson, 9) Thomas Jones, 10) Steven Jackson, 11) Mike Anderson, 12) Warrick Dunn, 13) Reuben Droughns, 14) Willis McGahee, 15) Brian Westbrook, 16) Domanick Davis, 17) Willie Parker, 18) Corey Dillon, 19) Carnell Williams, 20) Julius Jones, 21) Chris Brown, 22) DeShaun Foster, 23) Tatum Bell, 24) Ronnie Brown, 25) Jamal Lewis, 26) Stephen Davis, 27) Mewelde Moore, 28) Curtis Martin, 29) Ricky Williams, 30) Kevin Jones

Once again, I want my RB to be on a winning team. Denver, Carolina, and Miami each got 2 RB's in the top 30.

WR

1) Steve Smith, 2) Larry Fitzgerald, 3) Chad Johnson, 4) Santana Moss, 5) Anquan Boldin, 6) Torry Holt, 7) Joey Galloway, 8) Marvin Harrison, 9) Chris Chambers, 10) Plaxico Burress, 11) Hines Ward, 12) Donald Driver, 13) Terry Glenn, 14) TJ Houshmandzadeh, 15) Rod Smith, 16) Keenan McCardell, 17) Randy Moss, 18) Eddie Kennison, 19) Reggie Wayne, 20) Jimmy Smith, 21) Donte Stallworth, 22) Deion Branch, 23) Derrick Mason, 24) Jerry Porter, 25) Antonio Bryant, 26) Joe Jurevicius, 27) Kevin Curtis, 28) Keyshawn Johnson, 29) Laveranues Coles, 30) Eric Moulds

Three bad teams put 2 WR's in the top 30, and three good teams did also. Chicago and Minnesota were the only top 16 teams without a top 30 WR. Cleveland, Tennessee, Houston, Philadelphia, Detroit, and Atlanta were the bottom 16 teams without a top 30 WR. I'd say the advantage again goes to being on a winning team.

TE

I won't go through the whole list, but will point out a few things.

- Tennessee had 3 TE's in the top 30 (that's just nuts)

- Green Bay, New England, and Indianapolis each had 2 TE's in the top 30

- 7 teams had no TE in the top 30

- 15 TE's were from top 16 teams, 15 TE's were from bottom 16 teams

No advantage either way here.

K

Two words....Neil and Rackers

I'd say taking a player on a bad team can mean one of 3 things: they have a bod offense

they have a bad defense

they are bad on both sides of the ball.

Of those 3, you'd want offensive players on teams with bad D's since theoretically they're playing from behind .

In theory I like RBs on good teams and WRs and QBs on bad teams.  In theory.  In practice, fantasy football is like everything else in life.  I take what I can get.

1416063[/snapback]

You right that nun is sure taking what she can get.

:D

Hmmm. I've always targetted players on high-scoring teams, regardless if they're crappy or not. High-scoring teams means TDs and yards, which means their offenses are efficient.

I'm also looking for players on teams that had good defenses -- the defense could get off the field quick enough to (a) give the offense more time; and {b} give the offense good field position.

Perhaps I'm going about it all wrong, though.

Edited by rhino

I'm with Rhino.

I have been focusing on players who I think will rack up the yards and TDs. Am I being silly for paying attention to this, or should I care more about where Vegas thinks teams will finish the year when drafting players in the preseason?

Yup.  I was always one to say I wanted players from teams with crap a$$ defenses, but I guess it doesn't really matter.  But I did uncover two fun facts...

Guess how many Super Bowl winning Steelers players made the top 10 in any offensive category?  You guessed it - none.

QB - Big Ben - 17th ranked FF QB

RB - FWP - 17th ranked FF RB

WR - Hines - 11th ranked FF WR

WR - Randle-El - 58th ranked FF WR

TE - Heath - 12th ranked FF TE

K - Reed - 12th ranked FF K

1415728[/snapback]

But they had the refs in their pocket, so they won the Super Bowl. Take it any way you can get it I guess.

In practice, fantasy football is like everything else in life.  I take what I can get.

1416063[/snapback]

Good one.

Hmmm. I've always targetted players on high-scoring teams, regardless if they're crappy or not. High-scoring teams means TDs and yards, which means their offenses are efficient.

I'm also looking for players on teams that had good defenses -- the defense could get off the field quick enough to (a) give the offense more time; and {b} give the offense good field position. - Rhino

:D:D:D We have a winner!!

Edited by Brentastic