[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

home beer brewing

wcd480

I have been looking into doing a little bit of beer brewing at home, but I'm not real sure where to start. Do any experienced home brewers have some advice on what kind of kit/supplies I should get to light this pig up?

I have been looking into doing a little bit of beer brewing at home, but I'm not real sure where to start.  Do any experienced home brewers have some advice on what kind of kit/supplies I should get to light this pig up?

1417088[/snapback]

I'm actually doing an all grain IPA recipe on Saturday.

Charlie Papazian writes a decent book called the Complete Joy of Home Brewing, which is packed with pretty good beginner info (at least I found it help 10+ years ago).

I would suggest finding a good all encompassing brew store near your area (usually needs to be in a fairly large city), or you can shop online. People usually start w/ extract brewing, and you should be able to get all the equimpent and ingredients you need for the first 5 gallon batch for $100 to $150. You may want to consider getting a turkey cooker set-up from Wal-Mart so you don't have to use the stove top to cook.

If you are interested in doing all grain brewing further along you will need to invest in additional equipment but you actually control the recipe more and ingredient costs go way down (I'm making a 6-pack for about $1+; we actually go to the local brewery to pick up grain). Me and my brew buddies have a fairly large arsenal of equipment including converted beer kegs for boiling, grain mills, and old 5-gallon pop kegs to make the brewing/bottling experience less cumbersome and more conveinent.

Excellent info there, thanks a ton.

I will check around for a brew store here in Omaha, I haven't heard anything about one but I haven't exactly scoured the area yet either. That book alone will help out quite a bit.

Excellent info there, thanks a ton.

I will check around for a brew store here in Omaha, I haven't heard anything about one but I haven't exactly scoured the area yet either.  That book alone will help out quite a bit.

1417212[/snapback]

PM me your name and address. I have a copy of that book I'll send you.

This is IMO, the single best book available..... it takes you through the basics, but isn't just a beginner's book either. I've brewed some award winners, including all grain recipes that have been brewed commercially.

http://www.howtobrew.com/

As you will find, ales are much easier to brew than lagers are.... requiring less temperature control equipment, but unless you have a basement, the summer is a bit late for brewing.... it gets too warm, even for ales.

You can actually get started for about $100 including your first extract kit. Homebrew.com is a pretty good net site, with a forum that has folks ready to offer sound advice.

I brew 20 gallon batches from grain..... but that is something you would get into later on.... small 3 gallon batches from malt extract can be done on most kitchen stoves.

The above site I linked is sponsored by John Plamer.... the guy is great, and will even answer emails. His hard copy book is the best first book you can buy.... for a time, homebrew.com even included a copy with their beginner kits. The reason? they want your beer to be good.... and get a captive customer.

Good luck! Slainte!

PS: It is also a very good idea to support you local homebrew shop.... but also do some shopping on the net to get an idea of prices. There are plastic fermenters, glass carboy fermenters, stainless steel, and everything in between. Do some research before diving in.... it will save you $ in the long run.

Edited by Rovers

I've entered one contest; got 2nd place and a T-shirt.  First place got their beer brewed by the brewery.  :D

1417862[/snapback]

Funny.... I only enetered one comp myself, and that was how my stout got brewed commercially, at a brew pub. After that, the sponsoring brewery did a modifed version of it too. Second is nothing to sneeze at! That means you won a blue ribbon in the best in style category, no? Second in show is a real accomplishment.

I don't relly like beer comps much.... I do it to relax. Like fishing.... why take a relaxing pastime and ruin it with the pressure of competitions? It's fine for some, but not really my cup of tea. Aside from that, the style giude lines in brewing comps are restrictive.... I like to do beers that are unusual, and that isn't what the judges in comps are looking for. Like a porter with noticable hop prescence.... tastes great, but it would never win a ribbon.

Nice offer of the Pappazian book.... Charlie is good, but I'm a big Palmer fan!

I don't relly like beer comps much.... I do it to relax. Like fishing.... why take a relaxing pastime and ruin it with the pressure of competitions? It's fine for some, but not really my cup of tea. Aside from that, the style giude lines in brewing comps are restrictive.... I like to do beers that are unusual, and that isn't what the judges in comps are looking for. Like a porter with noticable hop prescence.... tastes great, but it would never win a ribbon.

1417918[/snapback]

Funny you mention that. I found out yesterday that there is a hombrew competition next month. So if I want to enter my IPA I'd be better off trimming an ounce or two of the hops to make sure I'm on the high end of the guideline instead of doing what I usually do.

Nice offer of the Pappazian book.... Charlie is good, but I'm a big Palmer fan!

1417918[/snapback]

In the mail to wcd480 today.

One of my best friends brews at home regularly. I was about to get involved but decided I'd rather just hook up with him a few times a year. The process certainly interests me but I didn't really have the time to commit.

I got the book at a local event we attended where Charlie was the guest speaker.

I'd much rather go to breweries and drink. :D

One of my friends bought a kit, brewed up and drank one batch and stated:  "I take more joy out of going to the store and picking up a 6-pack."  :D

1418842[/snapback]

:D When I started off, I wanted to brew beer as good as say, a Sam Adams. After getting into all grain brewing, I can honestly say my brews are better than what I can buy. Now that I have my equipment, it only costs about $40 for a twenty gallon batch. Some styles might run closer to $50. Hops are expensive.... which is why Budweezer doesn't use any!

:D  When I started off, I wanted to brew beer as good as say, a Sam Adams. After getting into all grain brewing, I can honestly say my brews are better than what I can buy.

1419006[/snapback]

Well, my friends and I can definitely and consistently brew better beer, for the most part, than what you can buy in Laramie, Wyoming. But growing up in the Pacific NW I drank fresh tap beers from a multitude of breweries that weren't scared of pushing the malty body and hop limits (basically style limits) of beers. I looooove fresh bold beers!

Although I can't always brew the best beer in the world in our 10 gallon lab experiment every time, it always turns out really good. And every once in awhile, things work out right and I brew the best beer I ever tasted.

• 2 weeks later...

Just made a batch of Oatmeal Stout, yummy. Only four main ingredients in beer. Hard to F*ck up unless you don't sanitize properly, then all sorts of bad stuff can happen. When I worked at Redhook we let local brewer clubs use our stuff(burners, hops etc.) about every two weeks. Good for them and good for us as we got some decent suggestions that way to new products. Never used them, but we listened and drank. :D