[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

favre - possibly could be traded?

Jackass

kind of sick of this topic, but this is kind of interesting.

April 13

(10:00 AM): Idle musings: Pack to trade waffling QB… Its just one man’s opinion, but former Oakland coach and long-time TV analyst John Madden thinks that Green Bay just might ultimately trade QB Brett Favre who has been mulling, and mulling, and mulling whether to return for the 2006 season. Last weekend for example, Favre was expected to finally announce his decision at a press conference in Mississippi, but in the end said nothing about his future. For now, hat Favre is saying is that he wants to see what direction the Packers are headed in before he makes a final decision. According to Madden, who was quoted on a national TV program this week, "It just sounds like he's going to play, but he wants to play with a team that has a chance to win. The Packers really don't look like they are going in that direction right now, so maybe he's talking about another team." Madden did acknowledge, though, that Favre has repeatedly said to him and others that he does not want to end his career with any team but the Packers. There would also be salary cap considerations. "But I wouldn't be surprised if there was a trade" Madden said. "There are a number of teams that could use him” for the record, such as Baltimore, Oakland and Minnesota, although its highly unlikely that the Packers would trade Favre within the division. There are also teams like Miami and Cincinnati which have established QBs coming back off serious injuries who may not be ready until deep into the 2006 season. Meanwhile, Atlanta G.M. Rich McKay says the Falcons have not had any trade conversations regarding the third-year QB Matt Schaub in the past few weeks. Schaub, who becomes a free agent at the end of the 2006 season, is reportedly high on a number of team’s wish lists around the NFL, but the Falcons, who do not have a #1 pick at this year’s draft after trading it to Atlanta as part of the three-way deal with the Jets to acquire DE John Abraham, are believed to be holding out for a pretty package in exchange for Schaub if they do move him.

Edited by Jackass

April 13

but the Falcons, who do not have a #1 pick at this year’s draft after trading it to Atlanta as part of the three-way deal with the Jets to acquire DE John Abraham,

1418602[/snapback]

:D

I was under the impression Favre didn't want to go anywhere, because the expectations on him would be enormous.

Somthing just doesn't seem right here. I have no inside info, but it's really starting to look like Favre is purposely jerking Thompson around. The Packers really haven't gone bonkers in free agency to improve the team. I think Favre should quit, IMHO. He has nothing left to prove. Next stop for him: Hall of Fame.

Madden's comments here have no legitimacy.  These are just the ramblings of a man who was probably asked a question about a situation that he can provide no real insight into.

1418791[/snapback]

Ramblings from Madden? I can't believe that. :D

I was under the impression Favre didn't want to go anywhere, because the expectations on him would be enormous.

Somthing just doesn't seem right here.  I have no inside info, but it's really starting to look like Favre is purposely jerking Thompson around. The Packers really haven't gone bonkers in free agency to improve the team.  I think Favre should quit, IMHO.  He has nothing left to prove.  Next stop for him: Hall of Fame.

1418741[/snapback]

Maybe.

The team hasn't done anything to address the offensive line yet. They'll give him time. Going to a zone blocking system they can pick up linemen other teams don't want later. They have the QB of the future(evidenced by the fact they didn't sign any free agents) so Favre has time. Coming back in May or retiring later shouldn't hurt the team. This isn't the Ricky Williams situation.

Sure he could want to be with a team that can go to the SB, but will he ask to be traded? That's a sticky issue. If he went outside the division I think many fans could support a trade, but Minnesota or Chicago would be too much to bear. :D

Denver?

throughout this little drama, I keep thinking that Favre is not coming back. If he had it in his heart to return, he would just do it. If he did not have the fire for whatever reason, then waffling is just him trying to convince himself that he should when he really does not want to return. Like he is waiting for something to happen to convince himself that another year is a good idea when basically he has already made up his mind to not play but cannot bear to face that publicly yet.

Why else would he do this to his team - since it is hardly a positive for the Packers who will be rebuilding this year and installing a new offense and will not be a contender this year by any stretch of the imagination. Why else would he suffer through every sports writer in the country always asking the same thing? I just cannot imagine what could happen from now until this summer that would make Favre think "now there is a reason to change my mind and return to play for one more season'.

Favre has been a great one to be sure and will do down as one of the best quarterbacks in our lifetimes. But I think he is done. Nothing he has said or done has suggested that he is returning other than he has not officially said "I am done".

We'll see. But how much of his heart can possibly be in this year on a crappy Packer team or, God forbid, some other team? OBTW - I also think the chance that Favre plays for another team is about 0%.

How does the league justify having so many primetime games with the Packers then?

1418859[/snapback]

Probably based on assumption. If Farve decides not to play these primetime games are going to be pretty pathetic, on the Packers side at least. I hope he does stay though, I think the packers have a good chance at maintaining a strong 'developing' team if they get Farve behind the center to teach for another year. But I can see where he is coming from if he really feels this team can't win next year.

I think there is more to this than meets the eye. Favre has gone through a lot from his Dad's passing, his wife's cancer and her brother's death on his property. I'm willing to bet he's in a 'me-first' mode somewhat because he's hitting that age where life's important things begin to change and his lack of current commitment -in my mind- means he's mulling things over for reasons we are not privvy to. Maybe his wife is no longer in remission and they haven't announced?

It could be a thousand different things.

Edited by Pope Flick

I think there is more to this than meets the eye. Favre has gone through a lot from his Dad's passing, his wife's cancer and her brother's death on his property. I'm willing to bet he's in a 'me-first' mode somewhat because he's hitting that age where life's important things begin to change and his lack of current commitment -in my mind- means he's mulling things over for reasons we are not privvy to. Maybe his wife is no longer in remission and they haven't announced?

It could be a thousand different things.

1418892[/snapback]

That could very well be it. All we really know right now is what the media is telling us, and we all know how accurate that can be. :D

He has delt with a lot throughout his NFL career, so I'm not really worried about needing to wait for a decision from him.

throughout this little drama, I keep thinking that Favre is not coming back. If he had it in his heart to return, he would just do it. If he did not have the fire for whatever reason, then waffling is just him trying to convince himself that he should when he really does not want to return. Like he is waiting for something to happen to convince himself that another year is a good idea when basically he has already made up his mind to not play but cannot bear to face that publicly yet.

Why else would he do this to his team - since it is hardly a positive for the Packers who will be rebuilding this year and installing a new offense and will not be a contender this year by any stretch of the imagination. Why else would he suffer through every sports writer in the country always asking the same thing? I just cannot imagine what could happen from now until this summer that would make Favre think "now there is a reason to change my mind and return to play for one more season'.

Favre has been a great one to be sure and will do down as one of the best quarterbacks in our lifetimes. But I think he is done. Nothing he has said or done has suggested that he is returning other than he has not  officially said "I am done".

We'll see. But how much of his heart can possibly be in this year on a crappy Packer team or, God forbid, some other team? OBTW - I also think the chance that Favre plays for another team is about 0%.

1418854[/snapback]

i think they're higher than 0 - at least 1% :D if culpepper isn't gonna be ready till the end of the year, miami could work. not saying it's likely, but crazier things have happened. i really think he wants to play and if green bay didn't suck, i think his decision would almost be easy.

If he had it in his heart to return, he would just do it. If he did not have the fire for whatever reason, then waffling is just him trying to convince himself that he should when he really does not want to return. Like he is waiting for something to happen to convince himself that another year is a good idea when basically he has already made up his mind to not play but cannot bear to face that publicly yet.

1418854[/snapback]

:D