[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How do I explain the draft to my girlfriend?

Skilly

:D My new girlfriend is moving in on the 27th of this month. I have been forwarning her that I will be "busy" on the 29th, but haven't really given her the details. She says, "Are you telling me you will be watching sports all day, on our move-in weekend?!" I say, "Well, it's technically not sports....but it's related."

She basically knows nothing about football, but she knows I like it. Not sure if she truly gets the obsesion. She DEFINATELY will not understand me watching possibly 16 hours of draft coverage.

Do I give her cash and send her to the mall? :D

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That depends - are you actually going to sit and watch the draft straight through?

I know I usually have it on as I'm doing yard/house work and will keep checking in for the Giants/other points of interest and will sit and watch as I eat lunch. If you are like me I think she can stay but yeah, if you are going to sit and watch it all day break out the wallet :D

That depends - are you actually going to sit and watch the draft straight through?

I know I usually have it on as I'm doing yard/house work and will keep checking in for the Giants/other points of interest and will sit and watch as I eat lunch. If you are like me I think she can stay but yeah, if you are going to sit and watch it all day break out the wallet :D

1422568[/snapback]

I know what you are saying, but that's the problem. I live in an apartment, and there's not much in the way of "work" to do. Last year, I basically watched most of it while drinking and chatting in the Skybox. Man, I was hammered halfway through the first round! :D I need to find something productive to do, like organize the files, alphebatize the CD's, something like that. And, being a Denver fan, I at least have to hang in there until pick 22. Averaging 4 picks per hour, that will be like 6 hours. Maybe I can make dinner reservations somewhere for like 7 pm, and that will ease some of the tension.

I start TIVO on the the draft and let him get about three hours ahead. Then radio blackout while I do other loving things. Then sit down and enjoy while skipping the commercials and several things that are just plain dull.

If you try and explain the draft before exposing her to an NFL game is like trying to learn to swim at the crest of Niagra Falls.

Some of it is boring to me, if you sour her on this, the concept of football will bring moans for years.

Help her make the pad pretty for 3 hours with the deal TIVO is waiting...

If you go the DVR route remember it switches to ESPN 2 at some point. The NFL network is also covering it.

I know what you are saying, but that's the problem.  I live in an apartment, and there's not much in the way of "work" to do. 

1422576[/snapback]

With all due respect, this is where I get confused. :D

Your girlfried is moving in, right? So, there's THAT work, no? Or, are you one of those that gets everything done at once, unlike me, which takes weekends to clean out my office?

I know what you are saying, but that's the problem.  I live in an apartment, and there's not much in the way of "work" to do.  Last year, I basically watched most of it while drinking and chatting in the Skybox.  Man, I was hammered halfway through the first round!  :D  I need to find something productive to do, like organize the files, alphebatize the CD's, something like that.  And, being a Denver fan, I at least have to hang in there until pick 22.  Averaging 4 picks per hour, that will be like 6 hours.  Maybe I can make dinner reservations somewhere for like 7 pm, and that will ease some of the tension.

1422576[/snapback]

Well I think it goes a little quicker than you're thinking. (Isn't the 1st round usually about 5 hrs??). I'd say a nice dinner at 7 is a winner. Maybe buy a new computer desk unassembled and "struggle" for 6 hrs to put it together :D

I went to the Lions draft party at Ford Field two years ago. :D My wife has given up on me not watching the draft. I've invited a few friends over, and it'll be an excuse to sit around for a few hours.

She basically knows nothing about football, but she knows I like it.  Not sure if she truly gets the obsesion.  She DEFINATELY will not understand me watching possibly 16 hours of draft coverage.

1422564[/snapback]

My wife and I have been together nigh 8 years - she STILL doesn't get my obsession.

I recall she moved in with me in January, so there was some playoff football watched, but the college and NFL seasons were pretty well over. That September, she called me on the carpet, not understanding how I could "watch that much football!"; I went :D , figuring I only watched Sportscenter and NFL Tonight M-F, the MNF game, the Thursday college game was optional, the Wisconsin and Michigan games on Sat (plus highlight shows) and NFL pregame to the end of Sportscenter on Sunday. That's only, what, about 30 hrs a week?

My buddies and I usually pick a house, warn the women, and kick back with numerous beers, a healthy supply of draft guides, a deck of cards in case a poker game breaks out, and a ready supply of smartass comments about teams, players, Mel Kiper, and each other. A good time is had by all - except when Mike Sherman would trade up for Jamal Reynolds or a punter or something.

Um, anyway, my advice is to work your butt off getting the big stuff done by noon ET Sat, then leaving her to put her womanly touches on the apartment while you adjourn to a man-centric haven of sporting bliss.

Well I think it goes a little quicker than you're thinking. (Isn't the 1st round usually about 5 hrs??). I'd say a nice dinner at 7 is a winner. Maybe buy a new computer desk unassembled and "struggle" for 6 hrs to put it together :D

1422582[/snapback]

New computer desk..........that is a great f'n idea! Too bad I already have one that is not in need of replacement. :D But maybe next year..... :D

I don't have TIVO, and probably wouldn't use it for the draft anyway. I have to have up to the minute info, and probably wouldn't be able to wait to see the results later on.

What do ya'll think: mall money, plus a dinner and movie? Is that fair compensation?

What do ya'll think:  mall money, plus a dinner and movie?  Is that fair compensation?

1422604[/snapback]

I would think so. Just explain it's important to you even though it my seem dumb and offer to make it worth her while. Dinner/movie and mall money makes sense to me.

I would think so. Just explain it's important to you even though it my seem dumb and offer to make it worth her while. Dinner/movie and mall money makes sense to me.

1422609[/snapback]

Yes - even more so because of the mall money. That if she says "how can you watch a show about football with no game for that long?" it's cancelled out by the "how can you spend 3 hours shopping for a pair of shoes when you already own 18 pairs?" You are all set!!

(Of course, what do you then if Denver trades both #1s for an earlier pick? Then you have overcompensated :D You should put a condition on the "trade" to cover this to reduce your "cost" for next year's draft.)

Here's my thoughts on your BIG problem! It isn't really a problem. Stop acting like a P U S S Y and just tell her, "this is something that interests me and I really Love to watch it. You probably won't understand me but if you told me that you wanted to watch something very badly I would have no problem with that because after all I Love You so much!"

:D:D Give her $$ for shopping, dinner and a movie??? :doah: :doah: Man you are pathetic not to mention wipped. As are the rest of you guys who agreed with him. I mean if you can't talk to the woman in your life about something that you want to do because it means so much to you and you really enjoy it, than she shouldn't be moving in and you shouldn't be together, period!

However, Good Luck!

On another note, I must have the best wife in the world. We have 2 kids together and she never, ever complains about s h i t. We care, understand and do for each other and after 11 years together not much has changed. I sympathize with you.

This message isn't meant to insult anyone, I just want to help. If any fellow huddlers need to make excuses or overly explain why they enjoy something and want to do it to their significant other, that's a bad sign for the future. Your partner in life should love and understand you for who you are and deal with it as you would deal with her/them.

Edited by irish

Here's my thoughts on your BIG problem!  It isn't really a problem.  Stop acting like a P U S S Y and just tell her, "this is something that interests me and I really Love to watch it.  You probably won't understand me but if you told me that you wanted to watch something very badly I would have no problem with that because after all I Love You so much!" 

:D    :D  Give her $$ for shopping, dinner and a movie???  :doah:  :doah:  Man you are pathetic not to mention wipped.  As are the rest of you guys who agreed with him.  I mean if you can talk to the woman in your life about something that you want to do because it means so much to you and you really enjoy it, than she shouldn't be moving in and you shouldn't be together, period!

However, Good Luck!

On another note,  I must have the best wife in the world.  We have 2 kids together and she never, ever complains about s h i t.  We care, understand and do for each other and after 11 years together not much has changed.  I sympathize with you.

1422633[/snapback]

Well put. :D I just got married and feel the same way you do! She will learn to live with it if you REALLY enjoy it..

PS. I would never give my wife money to leave me alone to watch football, but if it works for some people, so be it!

Here's my thoughts on your BIG problem!  It isn't really a problem.  Stop acting like a P U S S Y and just tell her, "this is something that interests me and I really Love to watch it.  You probably won't understand me but if you told me that you wanted to watch something very badly I would have no problem with that because after all I Love You so much!" 

1422633[/snapback]

Well said and I wish you had stopped there. We all have passions others we love may not posess. Dinner and a movie sounds good. I'm sure she will want to do something you don't understand too.

My wife and I share the money we make, it's a common pot, and if either one wants/needs anything that is within our budget we get. No one needs to give anyone money to go buy themselves something. They just go and buy it and that's that. If my wife wants to go shopping and to dinner and a movie while the draft is on great. I say have a good time see you later. If she would rather stay home while the draft is on, so be it. She keeps herself busy and when I've had enough we move on. It really is that simple for us. I don't understand why it can't be for others. If it's not get out now things will only get worse.