[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Domanic Rhodes article

CaptainHook

Dominic Rhodes made a strong first impression in 2001 as Edgerrin James' temporary replacement.

The prevailing question is whether the Indianapolis Colts' perennial backup running back can make a lasting impression in '06 as James' successor.

"I'm ready to go out there and roll,'' Rhodes said. "I'm ready to help this team reach what we didn't reach last year.

"I'm getting ready to have a very productive season and show everybody who thinks because Edge is gone we're going to have a vulnerable spot at running back, (show) that I'm here to stay.''

There's no question opportunity is knocking for a second time in Rhodes' NFL career. It's a direct result of the Colts allowing James, an offensive cornerstone since 1999 and their career rushing leader, to hit the free agent market, where he signed a four-year, $30 million contract with the Arizona Cardinals.

The latest opportunity for Rhodes comes five years after the first. When James suffered a season-ending knee injury at Kansas City in the sixth game of the 2001 season, Rhodes responded by rushing for 1,104 yards and nine touchdowns, NFL records for an undrafted rookie. He played collegiately at Midwestern State in Wichita Falls, Texas.

"He's an explosive guy and when he got to carry the ball a lot in '01, he put up some big numbers,'' coach Tony Dungy said.

That occasion, though, was temporary. James would return, and regain his form and spot in the backfield.

This is more permanent. James is gone for good.

The fate of the Colts' ground game, and by extension their potent offense, rests in the hands of Rhodes. Or someone else. Even though management displayed its faith in Rhodes by paying him a $1.45 million roster bonus due in March, the Colts could still use the 30th overall pick in the April 29 draft on a running back. Also, don't rule out the acquisition of a veteran free agent if one's available, and affordable, prior to training camp.

"That's fine,'' Rhodes said. "Competition is what it's all about. With me working hard and the talent I've been blessed with, it will be hard for anybody to flat-out beat me out at running back.''

His optimism aside, Rhodes didn't exactly provide strong evidence in 2005 that he was the man capable of replacing James.

He admitted allowing a lack of playing time on offense -- just 40 carries, including five or fewer in 11 of 13 appearances -- to affect his attitude and performance. Rhodes averaged 3.0 yards per rush and 20.9 yards on 41 kickoff returns, each career lows.

"It was a combination of things; frustration, things like that,'' he said. "It was a year I really don't like to (dwell) on a lot. I didn't have as much fun as I usually have with football.

"Just not playing at running back, I let that bother me. I wasn't the same guy. To be totally honest, I was cheating myself, cheating my teammates, just cheating a lot of people by not being as much of a team player as I should have been.''

Yet the Colts decided to reinvest in him.

"He's a guy we have confidence in,'' Dungy said. "It's now a point of seeing what he can do getting more carries. We're excited about that possibility. He's definitely a guy we feel we can win with.''

Quarterback Peyton Manning described James as irreplaceable, but remained optimistic the Colts "will make the best out of the situation."

Until Rhodes proves he can replace James, skeptics will remain. Along with limited productivity since his rookie season, there is a durability issue. Rhodes' reconstructed right knee no longer is a concern, but he occasionally has missed time with a chronic shoulder problem. The latter, he said, was addressed by surgery prior to last season.

Rhodes understands fans might be leery of him being able to bear the weight of the Colts' ground game.

"When you lose a guy like Edge, everybody questions what's going on,'' he said. "That's why I'm going to let my play do the talking. Edge always said, 'I've got my game in the bag and I'm ready to bring it every week.' That's what's going to happen. I'm going to go out there and show 'em what's up.''

link

Edited by CaptainHook

so what do you think Captain...give us your Homer outlook on this.

1424233[/snapback]

Rhodes has been incredibly injury prone since his knee injury. Shoulder problems, turf toe, etc. I think he can do pretty well when given limited carries, but I don't think he can hold up for an entire season. I think the Colts must get another back in the draft. I am worried that Polian will try and show how smart he is by not using the Colts first pick on one, which would be a hugh mistake.

A lot of people forget that in the one monster year he had filling in for Edge, while he had some great numbers, a lot of the time that yardage came early in the game. When the Colts needed to be able to run the ball to run clock and protect a lead, they were unable to. Colts went 4-7 with Dom as their starting RB. He has a bit of a fumbling problem too. And last year, he just looked awful. I'm not pleased to hear he was pouting.

All in all, Rhodes would be a great RBBC back, along with James Mungro (who recently re-signed), which is what I think the Colts will be until the rookie they draft is ready. I just hope the Colts have the balls to trade up if DeAngelo Williams or Laurence Maroney fall within shouting distance of pick 30. I think they are going to need to get ahead of Jacksonville and Carolina.

Edited by CaptainHook

I thought Mike Anderson would have been a nice veteran acquisition for the Colts.  Ah, what could have been.

1424290[/snapback]

I had Mike Anderson on my FF team last year and he was a TD scoring machine. I've actually followed this guy since his rookie year where he got the Rookie of the Year award (but didn't play the RB position again until last year). He would have been a prime pickup by the Colts. I'm starting to wonder if the Colts owners and coaches have what it takes to help take this team to the Superbowl. :D I sure know Manning can do it, along with Harrison, but how can they get there without a supporting cast of players and an intelligent owner to help 'em? :D

Maybe I'm wrong though, but it just seems like the Colts should have been in the Super Bowl the last two years, and something is definitely NOT right that this has not happened yet. :D And since losing last year, they have not done much to try and improve beyond knowing they still have Peyton and Marvin. Anderson would have been a great pickup for them. :D

Maybe I'm wrong though, but it just seems like the Colts should have been in the Super Bowl the last two years, and something is definitely NOT right that this has not happened yet.

1424475[/snapback]

I don't think many people would disagree with you there.

I'm starting to wonder if the Colts owners and coaches have what it takes to help take this team to the Superbowl.  :D I sure know Manning can do it, along with Harrison, but how can they get there without a supporting cast of players and an intelligent owner to help 'em?  :D

Maybe I'm wrong though, but it just seems like the Colts should have been in the Super Bowl the last two years, and something is definitely NOT right that this has not happened yet.  :D And since losing last year, they have not done much to try and improve beyond knowing they still have Peyton and Marvin. Anderson would have been a great pickup for them.  :D

1424475[/snapback]

:D

I don't see how you could possibly blame the Colts lack of success in the play-offs last year on the front office. The pieces were there. The players did not perform.

I don't see how you could possibly blame the Colts lack of success in the play-offs last year on the front office.  The pieces were there.  The players did not perform.

1424575[/snapback]

Sometimes that can come down to a coaching error, if you ask me. Did they not perform because the lack of preparation for the game (coaches fault) or simply because the other team was better?

I quietly picked him up in both my dynasty leagues last year, stuck him on the far end of the bench all season and kept him there.

This is what you do when you pick last in every draft and in the processing of every weekly waiver for over five years.

I just hope the Colts have the balls to trade up if DeAngelo Williams or Laurence Maroney fall within shouting distance of  pick 30.  I think they are going to need to get ahead of Jacksonville and Carolina.

1424241[/snapback]

I am hoping Maroney is the Panthers pick. He would look good in a Panthers uniform! :D

I thought Mike Anderson would have been a nice veteran acquisition for the Colts.  Ah, what could have been.

1424290[/snapback]

Anderson is washed up and old. His playing days are numbered. single digits too.