[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Denver/SF Swap Picks

Mr. Pennypacker

I definately have opinions on this trade:

I think it stinks. I was hoping that Denver would land DeAngelo Williams with the #15, and then follow it up with a solid D lineman. It's been said in more than one publication that this year's receiver class is weak. If they waste that #15 pick on a receiver, it will be a huge mistake IMO.

Maybe they don't have the cap room to sign two first rounders?

How often do you get to have two first round picks, with a chance to land two of the top 22 players in the nation. Not often.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it stinks.  I was hoping that Denver would land DeAngelo Williams with the #15, and then follow it up with a solid D lineman.  It's been said in more than one publication that this year's receiver class is weak.  If they waste that #15 pick on a receiver, it will be a huge mistake IMO. 

How often do you get to have two first round picks, with a chance to land two of the top 22 players in the nation.  Not often.

1428001[/snapback]

Agreed.

An interesting and suspicious move... They don't seem to have that many holes to fill, but like stated earlier, they could want a lot of lower first day picks to use for trading.

Then again Shanny has always had a much more in depth derspective on young running backs than other coaches, and could have his next franchise RB picked out, and knows he won't be going until a later round.

I think it stinks.  I was hoping that Denver would land DeAngelo Williams with the #15, and then follow it up with a solid D lineman.  It's been said in more than one publication that this year's receiver class is weak.  If they waste that #15 pick on a receiver, it will be a huge mistake IMO. 

How often do you get to have two first round picks, with a chance to land two of the top 22 players in the nation.  Not often.

1428001[/snapback]

well, what kind of d-lineman were you hoping they'd take at 22? because i'm thinking kiwanuka, or tamba hali, or both could still be there at 2.5 if that's a direction they want to go. i agree i don't really want them to take a WR.

edit: the latest scouts, inc. mock has exactly ZERO DEs going between picks 22 and 37. kiper has one going. so if they're thinking DE with their second pick as you hope, then they just probably made a very savvy move.

Edited by Azazello1313

well, what kind of d-lineman were you hoping they'd take at 22?  because i'm thinking kiwanuka, or tamba hali, or both could still be there at 2.5 if that's a direction they want to go.  i agree i don't really want them to take a WR.

edit: the latest scouts, inc. mock has exactly ZERO DEs going between picks 22 and 37.  kiper has one going.  so if they're thinking DE with their second pick as you hope, then they just probably made a very savvy move.

1428025[/snapback]

I was hoping Tamba Hali would drop to them. Pat Kirwin has been talking very favorably of him----rare size and speed. Kiwanuka is a very good prospect as well. If either of them fell into the second round for Denver, that would be a great pickup.

Any chance that Shanny is eyeing someone(s) in NEXT years draft, and is looking to package a pick or two in THIS draft for a pick or two NEXT year?

1428176[/snapback]

I would think that is a little far fetched to be looking that far ahead especially for a specific player and for a now team.

I would think more likely he is targeting a player (or group of players) that he believes he can get in early round 2 and decided instead of reaching he'd add value to the pick.

They bassically ran a RBBC last year and still have most ofo those RB's, they willtake flier on someone in the 4th or 5th, but I can't see them drafting a RB with the 15th overall pick. They might take Lendale if he were to fall to their pick in teh 2nd, otherwise I just don't see it.

1427395[/snapback]

Agreed.

You're taking what I said out of context loyalboyd.

The Clarett example was in direct response to Riffraff saying no one would trade a first day pick for Ricky Williams.

If Shanny was willing to spend a late 3rd rounder on Clarett, an unproven & very questionable RB, I'm willing to bet he would use  a late 3rd rounder on a PROVEN & very questionable RB.

See what I mean?

1427962[/snapback]

No, not really. Clarett was in direct response to one of the other coaches advice. Denver doesn't normally associate with common criminals. I would fall off my chair and stay there if Ricky was even considered,

No, not really.  Clarett was in direct response to one of the other coaches advice.  Denver doesn't normally associate with common criminals.  I would fall off my chair and stay there if Ricky was even considered,

1428444[/snapback]

The 1st Denver pick IMHO will be O-line.

This is pure speculation, but I still think this puts Denver in a great position to trade with Green Bay. If Denver is really after Walker and/or the 1.05, I'm sure they were offering the 1.22 in some sort of package. Knowing Ted Thompson, he probably told Shanny "no thanks -- I like 2nd- and 3rd-rounders better than late first-rounders". Plus, the Packers only have 5 total picks, so they'd be looking to add quantity more than quality.

Don't be surprised to see Denver move up to 1.05 -- AND acquire J. Walker -- while giving the Packers a nice package of picks in return. If that happens, I'd imagine fans of both teams would be happy.

Also -- I'd be willing to bet money that the 49ers take LenDale White at #22. Remember that Norv Turner is their new OC. What happened in Miami while he was OC? They traded for Ricky Williams. What happened when he became Oakland's HC? They signed LaMont Jordan.

Turner loves his big backs and believes his offense can't function properly without one. Now that he's had a chance to look at tape of the inconsistent Barlow and the undersized Frank Gore, I'm sure he told Nolan that they need to get a real power runner in the fold. White is the only one available.

Edited by Swiss Cheezhead

The 49er's have sooo many holes to fill. They just gave up two picks to gain one and they would cost themselves even more picks to move up further.

1427554[/snapback]

:D Remember, we're only the amateurs in this. Maybe the 49ers experts realize they are only one pick away from a return to domination? Maybe the 22nd overall pick gives them that edge they'll need to reinvent their destiny?

:D

:D

Also -- I'd be willing to bet money that the 49ers take LenDale White at #22. Remember that Norv Turner is their new OC. What happened in Miami while he was OC? They traded for Ricky Williams. What happened when he became Oakland's HC? They signed LaMont Jordan.

Turner loves his big backs and believes his offense can't function properly without one. Now that he's had a chance to look at tape of the inconsistent Barlow and the undersized Frank Gore, I'm sure he told Nolan that they need to get a real power runner in the fold. White is the only one available.

1428489[/snapback]

oh most definately, they will be drafting off skill players, TE & RB with those two picks IMO.

oh most definately, they will be drafting off skill players, TE & RB with those two picks IMO.

1428854[/snapback]

Unless, of course, GB trades down w/ DEN and DEN takes a TE at 1.05...

No, not really.  Clarett was in direct response to one of the other coaches advice.  Denver doesn't normally associate with common criminals.  I would fall off my chair and stay there if Ricky was even considered,

1428444[/snapback]

Don't hurt yourself when you fall then...but I don't expect you to stay there though :D

Posted on Thu, Feb. 02, 2006

Broncos targeting Ricky?

BY ARMANDO SALGUERO

asalguero@MiamiHerald.com

The Denver Broncos have had at least two internal discussions about acquiring Dolphins RB Ricky Williams, but the teams have not talked about a deal.

The Denver Post reported this week that HC Mike Shanahan might consider trading for Williams but likely only if the team does not trade for WR Terrell Owens.

www.miami.com

This was before the failed test though (which somehow got leaked by the Denver Press :D ).

I'd say if Ricky wins his appeal, the Donkeys might still be interested if the price is right, given that they cut Mike the Marine & only have The Great Dayne, Tinker Bell & Corn on the Cobb on the roster.

Dolphins | Williams' decision could come Tuesday; he also could be traded

Mon, 24 Apr 2006 17:36:28 -0700

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports Miami Dolphins RB Ricky Williams could find out his football fate for the 2006 season as early as Tuesday, April 25. Should the league reinstate Williams, then the Dolphins could begin fielding offers for their running back and try to trade him before the NFL Draft. There would be interest in Williams and the Denver Broncos could head up that list. The Broncos already were involved in talks with the Dolphins this winter, when word of Williams' potential suspension leaked out.

Any chance that Shanny is eyeing someone(s) in NEXT years draft, and is looking to package a pick or two in THIS draft for a pick or two NEXT year?

1428176[/snapback]

No, a lot can happen in a year and people do not plan for next year's draft when this year's draft hasn't even happened yet.

No, a lot can happen in a year and people do not plan for next year's draft when this year's draft hasn't even happened yet.

1435997[/snapback]

I thought the probability was pretty low, but because I don't really follow college ball much, I didn't know if there was a "Jim Brown x 2" or "Reggie White x 2" prospect out there somewhere that Shanny would be thinking about...

Any ideas what MIA would want for Williams?

Seems like a 3rd or 4th round pick would probably be about right...with MIA 'guaranteeing' the pick with a conditional pick contingent upon Williams not flunking the drug program or "spontaneously retiring"... Sorta like DEN sends a 3rd rounder for Williams and a conditional 5th...or something like that...