[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Potato and Macarroni Salads

Rebellab

I love summer time. Grilled steaks, burgers, hotdogs, pork chops etc. Mrs. Rebellab and I purchased a new camper and nothing goes camping like grilling and summer salads. There is a local place that has fantastic stuff. It is very expensive (they know it is good) and no one knows what is in them. They have great potato and macaroni salads. Anyone have any good mayo based salad recipes.

i'm not a big fan of mayo, so i often stay away from those items. but i do make some good stuff..... do you like german potato salad?

2 1/4 pounds medium-size red-skinned potatoes, unpeeled, cut into

1/4-inch-thick slices

6 bacon slices, chopped

1/2 cup finely chopped red onion

1/2 cup white wine vinegar

1/2 cup water

2 teaspoons coarse-grained mustard

2 teaspoons sugar

2 teaspoons salt

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/4 cup chopped fresh dill

Steam potatoes until tip of knife easily pierces center of slices, about 10 minutes. Transfer to large bowl. Cover with foil.

Sauté bacon in large skillet over medium heat until brown, about 3 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels. Discard all but 2 1/2 tablespoons drippings. Heat drippings in skillet over medium heat. Add onion; sauté 2 minutes. Whisk in next 6 ingredients. Simmer until mixture is reduced to 2/3 cup, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat.

Add potatoes to skillet and toss to coat with dressing. Let stand 3 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped bacon and fresh dill; toss. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer potato salad to serving platter. Serve warm

Never really had it, except at the Germans From Russia supper that the local group does. We will give it a run. How does it taste cold? I would think it would be like fried chicken. Pretty darn good.

Red potatoes, skinned, boiled.

some red onion

"enough" mayo (make your own!)

salt and pepper to taste

Simple, and delicious.

Looking for my sisters macaroni salad recipe that's delicious. She adds a lot of butter....

My wife's family comes from a family that owns and operated a chain of Italian Delis. My in-laws actualyl owned and operated one of them for a15-20 years before getting out of that business (my father-in-law is now in the meat brokering business, basically he sells to restaurants)

I can ask my mother in law for the potato salad recipe she uses, it is awesome. Not sure if she has anything in the way of a macaroni salad, but I will ask.

This is a recipe my mom has had for over 30 yrs. I make it three or four times a year. :D

Shrimp Macaroni Salad

1 lb rotini pasta

1 lb shrimp cut into pieces - med or large size

3 boiled eggs - chopped up

1 bell pepper (red,yellow, or green) 1/2 of a yel and red is nice.

1/2 jar of green olives

1 lemon

olive oil

red wine vinegar

mayo

2 tsp dill Josh Gordon

2 tsp chopped chives

Good Seasons Garlic & Herb dressing mix and cruet

salt and pepper

Cook rotini, rinse in cold water and let dry. Mix with dill Josh Gordon, chives, salt and pepper to taste in a large bowl.

In the cruet, mix dressing with instructed parts of olive oil and red wine vinegar. Instead of the water, use the lemon juice. Mix dressing and rotini. Let set *overnight* in the fridge.

Chop eggs, bell pepper, olives, and cooked shrimp. Mix with rotini.

Before serving, mix with mayo. Use the amount to the consistency you like.

Enjoy.

I love summer time.  Grilled steaks, burgers, hotdogs, pork chops etc.  Mrs. Rebellab and I purchased a new camper and nothing goes camping like grilling and summer salads.  There is a local place that has fantastic stuff.  It is very expensive (they know it is good) and no one knows what is in them.  They have great potato and macaroni salads.  Anyone have any good mayo based salad recipes.

1429711[/snapback]

diced celery,green pepper,onion and hard boiled eggs mixed in cooked macaroni(elbows or rotini).salt pepper and hellman's mayo.We've had it from every deli and store around but this simple recipe is better than any other IMO.And it's always better the next day(or at least make it EARLY in the day)

our family grew up on Miracle Whip instead of mayo.........same difference ...or not :D

1443302[/snapback]

Mayo family here. First time I had MW, I puked up in my mouth. Was over a friends house and his mom asked me to stay for lunch. Didn't think tunafish would be a problem. I wasn't right for a month.

Hide the MW in a recipe I guess I'd be ok. Straight up. :D Nooooooooooo.

Gotta be real mayo for potato salad. Also need to throw in a hard boiled egg or two. Some chopped onion. Celery seed, just a bit, some kind of horseradish sauce for some kick (not actual horseradish itself though), a bit of vinegar.

Nothing I hate more than 'sweet' potato salad, like the stuff that comes from the grocery store.

Gotta be real mayo for potato salad. Also need to throw in a hard boiled egg or two. Some chopped onion. Celery seed, just a bit, some kind of horseradish sauce for some kick (not actual horseradish itself though), a bit of vinegar.

Nothing I hate more than 'sweet' potato salad, like the stuff that comes from the grocery store.

1444697[/snapback]

:D

• 3 weeks later...
i'm not a big fan of mayo, so i often stay away from those items.  but i do make some good stuff..... do you like german potato salad?

1/4-inch-thick slices

6 bacon slices, chopped

1/2 cup water

2 teaspoons sugar

2 teaspoons salt

Steam potatoes until tip of knife easily pierces center of slices, about 10 minutes. Transfer to large bowl. Cover with foil.

Sauté bacon in large skillet over medium heat until brown, about 3 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels. Discard all but 2 1/2 tablespoons drippings. Heat drippings in skillet over medium heat. Add onion; sauté 2 minutes. Whisk in next 6 ingredients. Simmer until mixture is reduced to 2/3 cup, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat.

Add potatoes to skillet and toss to coat with dressing. Let stand 3 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped bacon and fresh dill; toss. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer potato salad to serving platter. Serve warm

1429730[/snapback]

Good stuff. Made it moms' day and everybody loved it. :D

Good stuff.  Made it moms' day and everybody loved it. :D

1473028[/snapback]

thanks..... i like hearing how my my recipes translate. it's sometimes hard to relay what i do to you guys (culinary terms might not mean much to those that haven't seen it done- ie: sweating onions, making and incorporating roux, etc)

Bier,

Do you serve your German Potato Salad with herring?  That's how I've had it.

1474246[/snapback]

i'm not a big fan of herring... so unfortunately no. i ususally do this at bbq's

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having a big BBQ at my parents house in a couple weeks.. all my friends from college and family will be there... I may have to go this route rather than using some store bought stuff.

Rachael Ray also had an interesting twist on potato saled on one of the 30-minute meals today (I love this grilling week Food TV is doing, los of good ideas). Anyway, it was basically yukon gold potatoes, jalapenos, red bell peppers, green onions (scallions) some vinegar and EVOO. Looked pretty good.

BC-

I'd love to see that recipe if you have it.

From Food Network Website:

2 1/2 pounds small potatoes, baby Yukon gold or red skinned potatoes

2 ounces, about 3 tablespoons, sliced jarred or canned hot peppers: jalapenos, hot pepper rings, hot cherry peppers, your choice

1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped

4 scallions, chopped

A splash hot pepper juice, from jar or can

3 tablespoons cider or wine vinegar, eyeball it

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, eyeball it

Salt and pepper

Chunk up the potatoes, cutting them into large bite-size pieces and place them in a pot of water. Boil until tender, drain and return back to hot pot to dry them out. Add hot peppers, bell peppers and scallions to potatoes, then dress with a splash of hot pepper juice and vinegar. Toss to combine, then drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil to coat the salad evenly and season with salt and pepper.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
i'm not a big fan of mayo, so i often stay away from those items. but i do make some good stuff..... do you like german potato salad?

1/4-inch-thick slices

6 bacon slices, chopped

1/2 cup water

2 teaspoons sugar

2 teaspoons salt

Just made this. Turned out OK*. My wife, who manages to like everything IN both German and "regular" potato salad without actually liking either, thinks it's pretty good.

* - "OK" doesn't mean Bier's recipe isn't completely awesome, it means that even my half-assing of it turned out more-than-edible.