[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Favre again

DMD

So now Favre is a spokesman for McNair and the Titans? I have always been a huge Favre fan but is he actually trying to make people not like him?

Favre says McNair `doesn't deserve' exile treatment from TitansAssociated Press

National Football League News Wire

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. - Brett Favre, who has been treated with patience by the Green Bay Packers while deciding if he will retire, doesn't like the way the Tennessee Titans have dealt with Steve McNair, their veteran quarterback.

"All of the things he has done for that team," the Packers QB said Thursday. "He really has been the face of that team for the last 10 or 11 years, the one bright spot really. To be treated that way I think is really unfair. He doesn't deserve it ... It is not right."

On April 3, the Titans had a team trainer tell McNair, the NFL's co-MVP in 2003, that he could not work out on the team's property until they can reach a deal reworking his contract. They fear an injury would put them on the hook for $23.46 million under the salary cap.

Favre and McNair have the same agent, Bus Cook.

McNair agreed to a six-year extension with Tennessee for $47 million in June 2001, a deal reworked often to provide the Titans with much-needed salary cap space until now. The Titans declined to pay a $50 million option to extend his deal, which now runs through 2006.

The NFL Players Association has filed a grievance on McNair's behalf, charging the Titans breached his contract.

Favre declined to comment about his own playing future, but he made the comments before attending a fundraiser for the Chattanooga football program as a guest of coach Rodney Allison. Allison was quarterbacks coach at Southern Mississippi when Favre played there.

I don't know what has gotten into him. He's always been a classy guy (Bear fan talkin') He is really going for the attention lately, which he has not done before. Posturing???? Nah! Enjoying his final days? Maybe. But it casts a negative that I'm sure he doesn't realize or just doesn't care.

I don't have a problem, per se, w/ his McNair comment. But why now and never before that I recall. Personally....I think he's losing it or just wants to stretch out the inevitable!

:D

I have no problem with him expessing his opinion. I just wish he'd make up his darn mind about his own future.

1429951[/snapback]

I wish when speaking everyone would realise it is his opinion.

I don't know what has gotten into him. He's always been a classy guy (Bear fan talkin') He is really going for the attention lately, which he has not done before.  Posturing????  Nah!  Enjoying his final days?  Maybe.  But it casts a negative that I'm sure he doesn't realize or just doesn't care.

I don't have a problem, per se, w/ his McNair comment.  But why now and never before that I recall.  Personally....I think he's losing it or just wants to stretch out the inevitable!

:D

1429971[/snapback]

Good points. Who knows?

Maybe he knows his time in the limelight is coming to an end. Perhaps reporters are making comments bigger than they should be too. I wonder if they are following him around looking for stories. I don't know that they are but it wouldn't surprise me.

Last year he said he came back and played because you can't be competetive while cutting the grass. Maybe he knows his time is limited and he won't have much competition anymore.

If he wants to play but not for the Pack I wish he'd ask for a trade.

Edited by Randall

Maybe he knows his time in the limelight is coming to an end. Perhaps reporters are making comments bigger than they should be too. I wonder if they are following him around looking for stories. I don't know that they are but it wouldn't surprise me.

1429993[/snapback]

Exactly! :D You can't blame the guy. From the limelight to just another schlub! I've never been there :D but it has to be a major thing on his mind. JMHO!

Exactly!  :D You can't blame the guy.  From the limelight to just another schlub!  I've never been there  :D but it has to be a major thing on his mind.  JMHO!

1430028[/snapback]

He intimated that last year when he contemplated sitting at home and cutting the grass. From a sold out stadium during traning camp to being just a regular guy.

Even if you welcome that change it is a major one.

Too bad for Walker Favre didn't show his own teamate the same support last year, that he's now exhibiting for somebody else on another ball club. :D

1430082[/snapback]

What did Walker do to deserve that respect? Walker had 1 big year and demanded a new contract, McNair had 1 big career and always made sacrifices for his team.

What did Walker do to deserve that respect? Walker had 1 big year and demanded a new contract, McNair had 1 big career and always made sacrifices for his team.

1430095[/snapback]

He had a good year followed by a great year. It was obvious as to where his career was/is headed. Take care of your players and stop alll the BS drama. That goes for management and Favre.

1430095[/snapback]

Walker was a first round draft pick that had stepped up his second year and then completely broke out in his third year including a trip to the Pro Bowl after he had 1382 yards and 12 TDs in 2004. He was more money for his 4th season from the contract he signed as a rookie. He had already proven himself as one of the best wideouts in the league. Maybe he did not deserve to be paid Top 5 money (though he was #3 in yardage and #5 in TDs), but he deserved more than the million a year (or was it less).

Problem is that Walker proved EXACTLY why players hold out and want a new contract. He sucked it up thanks in part to Favre and blew out a knee for relatively nothing. Other WR are going to look at what happened to Walker and be less likely to just play out a contract. Guaranteed. Favre was rather insistant that Walker get into camp but how much money does Brett have in the bank compared to Walker? Money means almost nothing to Favre I would guess.

Too bad for Walker Favre didn't show his own teamate the same support last year, that he's now exhibiting for somebody else on another ball club. :D

1430082[/snapback]

Big difference, McNair shows up to work and they send him home, while Walker refused to come to work when they asked. Oh yeah, and McNair has given himself to that organization for 10 years.

Big difference, McNair shows up to work and they send him home, while Walker refused to come to work when they asked.

1430148[/snapback]

Uhh...yeah...he did. In fact he blew out his knee for them after Favre & the Pack asked him to come back.

It's this year, the final year of his contract and after blowing out his knee for them last year, that he's saying forget you.

Uhh...yeah...he did. In fact he blew out his knee for them after Favre & the Pack asked him to come back.

It's this year, the final year of his contract and after blowing out his knee for them last year, that he's saying forget you.

1430246[/snapback]

Yeah, he should have been commended for coming back and honoring his contract when it became clear they would not renogotiate for him and Rosendouche.

He did all of that for them. :D

Walker was a first round draft pick that had stepped up  his second year and then completely broke out in his third year including a trip to the Pro Bowl after he had 1382 yards and 12 TDs in 2004. He was more money for his 4th season from the contract he signed as a rookie. He had already proven himself as one of the best wideouts in the league. Maybe he did not deserve to be paid Top 5 money (though he was #3 in yardage and #5 in TDs), but he deserved more than the million a year (or was it less).

Problem is that Walker proved EXACTLY why players hold out and want a new contract.  He sucked it up thanks in part to Favre and blew out a knee for relatively nothing. Other WR are going to look at what happened to Walker and be less likely to just play out a contract. Guaranteed. Favre was rather insistant that Walker get into camp but how much money does Brett have in the bank compared to Walker? Money means almost nothing to Favre I would guess.

1430137[/snapback]

If Brett stayed out of Walkers business (at least in public/media) he would not be catching this much crap. Maybe his GB god status is finally making his head swell.

It is the tough business view for both player & owners. Not guaranteed contracts like baseball. Players can be cut and anytime. Sure there are some contract that have some committed money, but nothing like basball.

Ending/not starting a holdout should have got the sides at least addressing the issue to show some good faith, but as always, both sides draw their lines in the sand to see who blinks then regardless (in most cases) get the cold shoulder with no contract talk until after the season.

Very tough business, but I know I would play my heart out if someone was willing to pay me millions for playing a game I love.

Plus they're pals.  I have no problem with a friend who has voice that will be heard sticking up for a buddy.

1430320[/snapback]

He said he thought TO was a nice guy too(when he played for 2 hours at a golf tournament). It's just his opinion.

I agree with him. They handled it badly. If they didn't want McNair working out they should have set up a alternate place to do it and told him beforehand.

Instead they waited until he showed up and the principles were out of town. That was bad.