[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Favre again

DMD

Very tough business, but I know I would play my heart out if someone was willing to pay me millions for playing a game I love.

1430300[/snapback]

So you are saying he didnt play his heart out? Would you want to play for a team that you played your heart out for but that didnt want to pay you what you were worth? Crazy statement for its inference.

So you are saying he didnt play his heart out? Would you want to play for a team that you played your heart out for but that didnt want to pay you what you were worth? Crazy statement for its inference.

1430347[/snapback]

Except that these guys have one good year and think they are worth more than anyoone else in the game. Even when under contract.

Problem is that Walker proved EXACTLY why players hold out and want a new contract.  He sucked it up thanks in part to Favre and blew out a knee for relatively nothing. Other WR are going to look at what happened to Walker and be less likely to just play out a contract. Guaranteed. Favre was rather insistant that Walker get into camp but how much money does Brett have in the bank compared to Walker? Money means almost nothing to Favre I would guess.

1430137[/snapback]

Then I would hope agents would write incentive laden or shorter contracts or better contracts for them.

Edited by Randall

Except that these guys have one good year and think they are worth more than anyoone else in the game. Even when under contract.

Then I would hope agents would write incentive laden or shorter contracts or better contracts for them.

1430348[/snapback]

So you consider him a one year wonder? Come on.

So you consider him a one year wonder? Come on.

1430362[/snapback]

That isn't what I said. I said they have 1 good year and want a new contract paying thm more than almost anyone else. Why not have agents put such incentives into contracts rather than demand a new deal after a good year.

Personally I thought they should give him a new one if he has 4-6 good weeks this year. My problem wasn't with him wanting more money but the way he has done it. Threats, using your family and media, etc.

That isn't what I said. I said they have 1 good year and want a new contract paying thm more than almost anyone else. Why not have agents put such incentives into contracts rather than demand a new deal after a good year.

Personally I thought they should give him a new one if he has 4-6 good weeks this year. My problem wasn't with him wanting more money but the way he has done it. Threats, using your  family and media, etc.

1430371[/snapback]

And what do you consider the year before his "1 good year"..???

1430348[/snapback]

The only way agents get the contracts that they want is by encouraging players to hold out... because as this situation shows, and you refuse to admit, Green Bay is not offering a decent contract to Walker.

The only way agents get the contracts that they want is by encouraging players to hold out... because as this situation shows, and you refuse to admit, Green Bay is not offering a decent contract to Walker.

1430604[/snapback]

The voice of clarity.

Remember Gates last year?

Hines Ward a couple of seasons ago?

Clinton Portis before his trade to the Skins?

etc...etc...etc...

The list of players holding out, or threatening to hold out is like the Energizer Bunny...it keeps going and going and going and going........

Holding out, or the threat of a hold out is the only way for the players to get contracts that they are severely out performing, renegotiated. While we may not like it as fans, that is way the NFL is set up.

But getting back to "Lord Favre".

He's been pretty clear with the Ted Thompson & the Packers organization that he wants to see the team make some solid moves aimed at improving the team.

Wouldn't you think that keeping their best WR in the Green & Gold and happy, would be priority number #1?

Favre certainly had no problem going to the press and publicly calling out Walker last year, did he?

So why is Favre so strangely silent about Walker's situation this year? :D

Guess he's too busy weighing in on how other teams are handling their players :D

1430604[/snapback]

Not for rookies. They can write contracts that address outperforming the original deal instead of holding out later. Prevention is still better than threatening later.

Not for rookies. They can write contracts that address outperforming the original deal instead of holding out later. Prevention is still better than threatening later.

1430887[/snapback]

:D

If it's sooo easy for Rookies to get the contracts they want, why do we see Rookies holding out every stinkin' year?

But back on topic.

I find it weird that Favre, while very vocal about the fact that his decision to retire or not, is reflective on the Pack improving, he's got nothing to say on the situation his best WR is in.

Yet he's got no problem going to the press with comments about other teams and how they're handling their players.

Favre should be looking to his own backyard, before commenting on the neighbors.

If it's sooo easy for Rookies to get the contracts they want, why do we see Rookies holding out every stinkin' year?

But back on topic.

I find it weird that Favre, while very vocal about the fact that his decision to retire or not, is reflective on the Pack improving, he's got nothing to say on the situation his best WR is in.

Yet he's got no problem going to the press with comments about other teams and how they're handling their players.

Favre should be looking to his own backyard, before commenting on the neighbors.

1431033[/snapback]

That's cause Lord Favre knows he cant say anything about Walker because he is one of the reasons that the team and himself are in this situation. Instaed of encouraging the team to renegotiate with Walker he publicly outed Walker and now even if he wants Green Bay to renegotiate he certainly wouldnt go public with it. His decisions are getting as bad as some of his passes.

So, Brett's not allowed to speak to the media until he decides on his future in Green Bay?  This is just stupid.  A reported asked Brett his opinion and he gave it.  End of story.

1431088[/snapback]

Bill,

It's not so much that Brett shouldn't speak to the media before he decides his future. It's more about what he picks & chooses to speak about.

Favre is on record as saying his decision to play or retire, hinges on what the Packers do to improve the team.

So what does Favre do?

Does he make any comment on how his own organization is handling (or misshandling, depending on your point of view) the BEST WR on his team? (no offense to Driver...et al)

No!

He wants to talk about how some other organization is handling their players.

Does that make sense to you?

So, Brett's not allowed to speak to the media until he decides on his future in Green Bay?  This is just stupid.  A reported asked Brett his opinion and he gave it.  End of story.

1431088[/snapback]

Exactly- Favre has a free pass- he can comment on whatever the F he wants to. He is on point also w/regard to McNair- They are boys- why wouldn't you speak out if one of your buddies who has been the franchise, played his guts out would get treated like that.

Bill,

It's not so much that Brett shouldn't speak to the media before he decides his future. It's more about what he picks & chooses to speak about.

1431182[/snapback]

Is it Brett's job to tell the media which questions he should be asked? Is he supposed to refuse to answer a question about his friend Steve McNair?

I'm sure that if Brett were to comment on what the Packers were doing to improve their team, the comments would not be positive. Therefore, he's probably doing the organization a favor by keeping his mouth shut.

Is it Brett's job to tell the media which questions he should be asked?  Is he supposed to refuse to answer a question about his friend Steve McNair?

1431302[/snapback]

I don't know what question was asked Bill, do you?

Besides, Brett's never had the problem of waiting on reporters to prompt him with questions, before expressing himself.

I'm sure that if Brett were to comment on what the Packers were doing to improve their team, the comments would not be positive.  Therefore, he's probably doing the organization a favor by keeping his mouth shut.

1431302[/snapback]

Except Favre isn't keeping his mouth shut.

"So what’s going on up there?" Favre asked. "What are they doing? Have they signed anybody?"

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

By the way, nobody asked Favre that question or prompted him to say that. Those words came out of his mouth all by themselves.

It's still strange to me, that while Favre didn't have a problem running his mouth to the press to get Walker into camp last year, he doesn't have a darn thing to say about Walker this year. Yet he'll take the time to weigh in on another organizations handling of their players.

Point #1 Favre wants to see improvement to his team, before making his decision.

Point #2 His BEST playmaker at WR, is threatening to never play for the Pack again.

Point #3 Favre didn't have a problem commenting to the press last year,

on this very same player!

Point #4 Not a peep out of him this year, on the very real possiblity of losing his BEST WR due to his organizations handling of the player, but does comment on how another organization is handling their player.

Again, (since you edited out and failed to answer the question the first time), does that make sense to you?

I don't know what question was asked Bill, do you?

Besides, Brett's never had the problem of waiting on reporters to prompt him with questions, before expressing himself.

1431440[/snapback]

It's my understanding that a reporter asked Favre what he thought of the McNair situation, rather than Favre offering the opinion. Please let me know if this is incorrect.

It's still strange to me, that while Favre didn't have a problem running his mouth to the press to get Walker into camp last year, he doesn't have a darn thing to say about Walker this year.

The Packers, coming off of a 10-6 season and a division title, were expected to be a competitive team going into last year. That's not the case this year. Walker has already said that he wants out of there and the Packers organization doesn't want to give him a new contract. Since both parties have made up their minds, what's left to say?

Again, (since you edited out and failed to answer the question the first time), does that make sense to you?

Your blatant hatred of Favre makes absolutely no sense to me.

Edited by Bill Swerski

It's my understanding that a reporter asked Favre what he thought of the McNair situation, rather than Favre offering the opinion.  Please let me know if this is incorrect.

1431679[/snapback]

As I said, I honestly don't know what the reporter asked.

But it would certainly help me understand your position, if you could explain what has lead you to this understanding?

The Packers, coming off of a 10-6 season and a division title, were expected to be a competitive team going into last year.  That's not the case this year.  Walker has already said that he wants out of there and the Packers organization doesn't want to give him a new contract.

1431679[/snapback]

Wouldn't that be all the more reason for Favre to get involved? See if he can't smooth it out and get his best WR back in the fold? Also Ted Thompson has let it known that his preferred way of constructing a team is through the draft not via big FA signings. But that hasn't stopped Favre from actively politicking for the Pack to make some big FA moves has it?

Since both parties have made up their minds, what's left to say?

1431679[/snapback]

The involved parties addressed here have made up their minds also. Tenn says stay away, NFLPA has filed a grievance. Not much left to say here either, but it's not stopping Favre from putting his 2 cents in is it?

Your blatant hatred of Favre makes absolutely no sense to me.

1431679[/snapback]

I used to bartend at Tattletails (Adult Bar) here in Atlanta and a lot of the Falcons, including Favre, would come in and party there. Favre was way cool. I still think the guys got more talent in his left pinky, than a lot of todays starting NFL QB's.

Just because I'm not thrilled with how Favre is currently handling himself, does not mean I have blatant hatred for him Bill.

Is it Brett's job to tell the media which questions he should be asked?  Is he supposed to refuse to answer a question about his friend Steve McNair?

I'm sure that if Brett were to comment on what the Packers were doing to improve their team, the comments would not be positive.  Therefore, he's probably doing the organization a favor by keeping his mouth shut.

1431302[/snapback]

Yes, that is exactly what he should have done. Why does he feel the need to comment on his friend Steve McNair when he can not even comment on his own situation, his teamates situations and the overall team situation?

"No comment" would have sufficed.

As I said, I honestly don't know what the reporter asked.

But it would certainly help me understand your position, if you could explain what has lead you to this understanding?

1431732[/snapback]

It's the logical assumption. Press interviews don't typically consist of a player getting up on a soap box and lecturing members of the media on current NFL events. This is especially true when the issue has nothing to do with that player's team. However, members of the media ROUTINELY ask players to discuss controverisal topics. Because, hey, controversey is what sells!

Wouldn't that be all the more reason for Favre to get involved? See if he can't smooth it out and get his best WR back in the fold? Also Ted Thompson has let it known that his preferred way of constructing a team is through the draft not via big FA signings. But that hasn't stopped Favre from actively politicking for the Pack to make some big FA moves has it?

Something tells me that Favre calling out Thompson in the media would be counter-productive. But neither of us knows what the two have discussed behind closed doors.

I have no idea why Favre hasn't publicly called for Javon to re-consider his decision. Maybe Javon blamed him for his knee injury and the two had a falling out. Perhaps they have spoken on the phone. Who knows?

But if you were Walker, would you even want to play for a team that's about to lose its franchise QB and won't be competitive for at least another 2-3 years? After seeing how the Chargers were reasonable with Antonio Gates' contract re-negotiation, would you want to re-sign with a team that payed you like a rookie rather than the Top 5 WR? I sure as hell wouldn't. I'd pack my bags and egg Ted Thompson's house on the way out of town.

The involved parties addressed here have made up their minds also. Tenn says stay away, NFLPA has filed a grievance. Not much left to say here either, but it's not stopping Favre from putting his 2 cents in is it?

There's a BIG difference between holding out because your employer isn't paying you what you're worth and being so ridiculously screwed-over by your team that the NFLPA got involved. Those two situations aren't even comparable.

I used to bartend at Tattletails (Adult Bar) here in Atlanta and a lot of the Falcons, including Favre, would come in and party there. Favre was way cool. I still think the guys got more talent in his left pinky, than a lot of todays starting NFL QB's.

Just because I'm not thrilled with how Favre is currently handling himself, does not mean I have blatant hatred for him Bill.

So, did Brett put 5's or 20's in your g-string? :D

My apologies for misinterpreting your feelings. You've been so anti-Favre here lately that it certainly seemed that way.

Edited by Bill Swerski

What did Walker do to deserve that respect? Walker had 1 big year and demanded a new contract, McNair had 1 big career and always made sacrifices for his team.

1430095[/snapback]

well, sure. but you know what both of their situations have in common? THEY'RE NONE OF BRETT FAVRUH'S F*CKING BUSINESS. that's what.