[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

10 worst and best recent top 10 picks

Randall

From NFL Network

No. 10

Worst: Defensive end Jamal Reynolds -- Hard to believe the Packers actually traded quarterback Matt Hasselbeck to move up to draft him. Since then, Reynolds has produced fewer sacks than Hasselbeck has hair follicles.

Best: Cornerback Chris McAlister -- This cornerback became a cornerstone of the Ravens' Super Bowl championship team.

No. 9

Worst: Cornerback Tom Knight -- Knight just might be one of the most forgettable top-10 picks in NFL history. Knight spent five seasons in Arizona, intercepted three passes, and can anybody remember a single significant play he made?

Best: Linebacker Brian Urlacher -- A player the Bears hit on as much as he has hit opposing running backs.

No. 8

Worst: Wide receiver David Terrell -- The former Michigan standout wound up going almost six rounds higher than the quarterback who threw him the football at Michigan, Tom Brady.

Best: Safety Roy Williams -- In the draft, safeties are typically devalued. But this safety has the distinction of being the best No. 8 selection ever horse collared.

No. 7

Worst: Linebacker Mike Mamula -- Mamula made his name at the Indianapolis Scouting Combine. But he turned out to be a player who, as scouts say, looked like Tarzan but played like Jane.

Best: Champ Bailey -- The former No. 7 overall pick now is making a name in the city known for its No. 7.

No. 6

Worst: Lawrence Phillips -- More talent and more troubles than even running back Maurice Clarett.

Best: Richard Seymour -- The best defensive lineman on what has perpetually been football's best team. Seymour recently cashed in with the Patriots, but they already had cashed in with him.

No. 5

Worst: Running back Curtis Enis -- Enis joined Blair Thomas and Ki-Jana Carter to prove that Penn State might be considered Linebacker U, but it is not exactly Running Back U.

Best: Running back LaDainian Tomlinson -- Hard to say a team made out trading the rights to draft Michael Vick, but the Chargers did. They landed the best running back in football.

No. 4

Worst: Offensive tackle Mike Williams -- The mammoth-sized offensive tackle who now plays in Jacksonville lost his hunger on the field, but not off it.

Best: Running back Edgerrin James -- How many people are still wondering how the Colts could ever draft Edge over Ricky Williams?

Despite recent troubles, Steve McNair was still one yard away from tying the Super Bowl.

No. 3

Worst: Quarterback Akili Smith -- Flamed out of Cincinnati, Green Bay, NFL Europe and every stop he made.

Best: Quarterback Steve McNair -- Good enough to share an MVP award with Peyton Manning and win the distinction as the best player in Titans history.

No. 2

Worst: Quarterback Ryan Leaf -- And to think the Colts didn't decide on Peyton Manning over Leaf until the week before the draft. They were spared the shame that wound up taking up residence in San Diego instead.

Best: Quarterback Donovan McNabb -- How many people are still wondering how the Eagles could go for McNabb over the fans' choice, Ricky Williams?

No. 1

Worst: Quarterback Tim Couch -- A 75.1 career quarterback rating, 64 touchdowns and 67 interceptions. Now out of the league. It's a Brown cloud that still hangs over Cleveland.

Best: Quarterback Peyton Manning -- Again, Manning was the easy choice. His 49 touchdown passes in one season are Ruthian.

But here's a thought to ponder, illustrating how critical the draft is to the success of any franchise: Where would the Colts be today had they gone ahead and selected Ryan Leaf and Ricky Williams?

From NFL Network

But here's a thought to ponder, illustrating how critical the draft is to the success of any franchise: Where would the Colts be today had they gone ahead and selected Ryan Leaf and Ricky Williams?

1430806[/snapback]

Don't know but could you imagine that when San Diego would have ended up with Peyton and then later drafted LT2 :D

From NFL Network

1430806[/snapback]

They'd be debating Bush, Leinart and Young as the top choice....and they'd have the same number of Super Bowl championships as they do now

Dishonorable mentions:

Cade McNown

Tony Mandrich

Heath Schuler

Andre Ware

Stan Thomas (Ditka said Thomas couldn't pass block Little Red Riding Hood)

1431166[/snapback]

It only goes back 10 years.

From NFL Network   

No. 3

Worst: Quarterback Akili Smith -- Flamed out of Cincinnati, Green Bay, NFL Europe and every stop he made.

Best: Quarterback Steve McNair -- Good enough to share an MVP award with Peyton Manning and win the distinction as the best player in Titans history.

Am I missing something or is McNair really worth the No. 3 Best spot? No doubt good; but placing his name in the same sentence as Manning might be pushing it a little. I could be wrong though, just a hunch. :D

I am not trying to defend Couch, but when you look at his numbers like that, his career doesn't sound that bad.

1432800[/snapback]

I never thought Tim Couch was any worse than Joey Harrington, let alone Ryan Leaf.

F*ck all, I don't see how Couch is out of football and Harrington has teams inquring about him. They seem identical to me.

I never thought Tim Couch was any worse than Joey Harrington, let alone Ryan Leaf.

F*ck all, I don't see how Couch is out of football and Harrington has teams inquring about him. They seem identical to me.

1433125[/snapback]

The Packers didn't think so. They tried giving him a job.

At the end of his playing time he seemed to lose a lot of confidence and that spells doom for a QB. He was better earlier than later in Cleveland.

The Packers didn't think so. They tried giving him a job.

At the end of his playing time he seemed to lose a lot of confidence and that spells doom for a QB. He was better earlier than later in Cleveland.

1433136[/snapback]

I totally agree. Harrington shows very similar characteristics, the lack of confidence is a time bomb about to go off for the 'up and coming' QB.

1433125[/snapback]

..or Akili Smith, for that matter.

Couch was obviously NOT worthy of the #1 overall, but he didn't exactly have much to work with in Cleveland, for the most part. Leaf and Akili Smith WISH they had Couch's career.

They would have a worse winning percentage but the same number of SB rings. :D

Edited by sunysteelfly76

Hard to believe you mentioned Chris McAlister without mentioning Ed Reed.

As a Steeler fan I was pissed when they passed him up and drafted Plaxico

instead. Could you imagine Reed and Polamalu in the same Def. backfield?

Of course, Pitt wouldnot have moved up for Polamalu if they already had Reed.

Ed Reed is always at the top of my list for IDP.

Not necessarily. Once Leaf bombed, they might have signed Trent Dilfer and won a super bowl  :D

1433778[/snapback]

Actually they already passed on Dilfer once when they drafted Trev Alberts instead. That was the pick Mel Kiper went off about, and then Colts GM Bill Tobin called him out on TV.