[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What Should the Texans Do with Their Pick?

broncosn05

Saw this poll on Yahoo and wanted to get the Huddle's A or B answer on the subject. When I voted on Yahoo it was 59% Keep it vs. 41% trade it. I think they should trade it. Honestly I think they have a good team that has fallen into the category of a team that doesn't play to potential. I don't think Domanick Davis is the problem they finished last so I think they should deal it.

Edited by broncosn05

Saw this poll on Yahoo and wanted to get the Huddle's A or B answer on the subject.  When I voted on Yahoo it was 59% Keep it vs. 41% trade it.  I think they should trade it.  Honestly I think they have a good team that has fallen into the category of a team that doesn't play to potential. I don't think Domanick Davis is  the problem they finished last so I think they should deal it.

1431609[/snapback]

Reggie lining up in the slot, coming out the backfield, lining up as WR and returning kicks (remember Marsall Faulk?) is hard to pass up. He had 500 yards in games in college.

I doubt if they can trade down. It's too expensive to do it so i think they'll take Bush and if he does well as a primary back they'll trade Dom.

You can't trade Reggie Bush, bottom line. He has more talent and potential than anyone in the draft. He can and will take over games. Yes, DD was not the problem last year but in the NFL you need 2 runningbacks to be sucessful. If they are worried about Bush and DD not clicking, then trade DD not Reggie Bush.

You can't trade Reggie Bush, bottom line.  He has more talent and potential than anyone in the draft.  He can and will take over games.  Yes, DD was not the problem last year but in the NFL you need 2 runningbacks to be sucessful.  If they are worried about Bush and DD not clicking, then trade DD not Reggie Bush.

1431671[/snapback]

While having two running backs definitely improves the chances of being a successful team in the NFL (Broncos are one example last year; however, not anymore using this assumption) but I really don't think you need two RB's to be successful--it just helps. What the Texans need is an offensive line, for starters. They can trade back a few picks for a solid veteran player and pick up D'Brickashaw Ferguson in the draft. I think they would be smart to trade it.

While having two running backs definitely improves the chances of being a successful team in the NFL (Broncos are one example last year; however, not anymore using this assumption) but I really don't think you need two RB's to be successful--it just helps. What the Texans need is an offensive line, for starters. They can trade back a few picks for a solid veteran player and pick up D'Brickashaw Ferguson in the draft. I think they would be smart to trade it.

1432186[/snapback]

You can also draft Reggie, if he looks capable of carrying the load himself, trade Dom.

I wouldn't discount the effect that Kubiak will have on the offensive line either. The year before last they were 7-9. They will get better.

Trading picks is always hard. To move up just 2 spots will cost 2-3 draft picks.

I think they should trade the pick if they can get the value for it in draft picks.

They have So many greater needs than RB. O-line and D-line.

DD is a stud RB when healthy and they have a young Rb in Morency!

If they can't get the value and trade down they have to Draft Bush and then Davis.

One problem with drafting Bush is he wants QB Money!

I agree with trading it if they can get value for the pick and not have to move out of the top 4 (where they would be assured of still landing D'Brick or Williams). Bush is a freak talent, and trading out of the slot will bring a lot of criticism... but if the Texans can turn it into 3 starters - incl a Pro Bowl caliber OL or DL - that would be the smart move, imo.

1432186[/snapback]

You can't look short-term with the Texans. They are going to suck this season just like they did the last. However, Pick up Bush with your 1st pick, draft a couple solid O-Linemen in the next rounds and you have greatly improved your team. Then trade DD for a defensive linemen if the right trade comes around.

You can't look short-term with the Texans.  They are going to suck this season just like they did the last.  However, Pick up Bush with your 1st pick, draft a couple solid O-Linemen in the next rounds and you have greatly improved your team.  Then trade DD for a defensive linemen if the right trade comes around.

1432286[/snapback]

But have there been any reports about possible trades for DD? If Houston could move him for a low 1st rounder, I think that would be the right move. It just seems to me that with all the holes they have, to have the luxury of two really good RBs doesn't make sense for them.

...  If Houston could move him for a low 1st rounder, I think that would be the right move. ....

1432295[/snapback]

Sure, it'd be a great move for the Texans. But who is going to give up a low 1 (or even a 2), especially in this draft, for DD ? IMHO, no one would offer anything close to that for him.

But have there been any reports about possible trades for DD?  If Houston could move him for a low 1st rounder, I think that would be the right move.

1432295[/snapback]

Considering that both Edge & SA could be had for a 2nd rounder last year and there were no takers, I think the chances of getting a 1st rounder for DD are Slim & None :D

The Texans need a line. They will make their "O" getting a line, and improve their team more all around by doing so. Bush is the best talent in the draft but, for the Texans he doesn't improve the "team" as much as filling out the line. If you take Bush you will improve at RB, one position. The line will improve the rb, wr, and qb positions. The real need is a line and of course holes in the defence. If you look at Denver or KC you'll see with a line your rbs don't have to be great to perform great. Your qb stays healthy and your wrs will perform.

Sure, it'd be a great move for the Texans.  But who is going to give up a low 1 (or even a 2), especially in this draft, for DD ?  IMHO, no one would offer anything close to that for him.

1432300[/snapback]

I agree - I wasn't meaning that to be realistic. But there are those who argue that they can draft Bush and then trade DD for a great DL or OL. I'm in complete agreement with the last 3 posts, esp jgcoach -- if they can move down a slot or three and draft a lineman plus pick up another high draft choice or two, that would be the smartest move imo. It would not be as flashy, and perhaps not as popular... but there is little doubt in my mind that it would make them a better team.

I voted keep it. I am not as high on DD as others.

Draft Bush and trade DD for a 3rd rounder.

And yeah they need O-line help but they can

help that with 2nd rnd, etc. plus scheme itself

will help. I think Morency will be a decent second

back so they can move DD for a 3rd and add another

piece there. I wouldn't take Ferguson even if they were to

trade down - I'd take Williams.

The Chiefs probably have the best O-line in FB and I don't believe they

spent a 1st round pick on any of them.

they should keep the pick, no question. if they don't take bush (which they should), they should use it to take mario williams. unless they traded down into the 6-8 range and took vernon davis, that dude would be a good fit. but ferguson is not the player they should be coveting, IMO.

Having two running backs is great when your back up is not a player that has exceeded expectations IMO his entire career he was rookie of the year and a great player hell if the Texans are willing to bench him then send his ass to Denver we'll welcome him with open arms. While on the otherhand the Texans will have made the improvement of a lesser LT potential and none to the defensive side of the ball. Texas needed Lavar Carr and DD are studs that defense with the exception of Dunta Robinson is a DISASTER.

This will turn out to make or break Kubiak I think. If he succeeds or fails, it will come back to this decision. If he passes on Bush now and he he fails with them in a few years, people will say it was a HUGE mistake for not getting him (If Bush turns out to be a stud).

If he trades, and get a few good starters out of the picks he gets, and succeeds, then people will say he was a genius.

I personally think they should trade it. Bush might be good and all, but DD is a pretty good player too. Lets not forget DD is a proven talent already.

This will turn out to make or break Kubiak I think. If he succeeds or fails, it will come back to this decision. If he passes on Bush now and he he fails with them in a few years, people will say it was a HUGE mistake for not getting him (If Bush turns out to be a stud).

If he trades, and get a few good starters out of the picks he gets, and succeeds, then people will say he was a genius.

I personally think they should trade it. Bush might be good and all, but DD is a pretty good player too. Lets not forget DD is a proven talent already.

1432451[/snapback]

Fully agree well said :D

you raise a good point. the second-guess factor is a huge for passing on a player like bush who ends up being a stud versus passing on like an o-lineman who ends up being a stud.

Bush Market

Todd McShay

Scouts Inc.

4-21-06

USC RB Reggie Bush still figures to be the first player selected in the 2006 draft. The Texans have spent recent weeks leaking rumors to the media regarding their possible interest in selecting Williams with the first overall pick. They've even gone as far as to open up predraft contract talks with Williams and his agent, Ben Dogra, while making it abundantly clear to the media that no such talks have occurred with Joel Segal, who represents Bush.

The Texans' interest in Williams is sincere, but only if they strike a deal to trade down. All the other talk can be chalked up to predraft smoke screens. This type of nonsense takes place annually. Just as the 49ers used WR Braylon Edwards (Browns) and DC Antrel Rolle (Cardinals) to get a better deal for QB Alex Smith, the Texans are using Williams to establish more leverage before sitting down with Segal to hash out a predraft deal with Bush.

The only thing standing in the way of Bush heading to Houston is a potential trade between the Texans and Jets. Multiple sources have told me the Jets are aggressively seeking a deal that would catapult them to the top of the draft board to bring Bush to New York. Referring back to the Trade Value Chart, such a deal for the first overall pick (worth 3,000 points) would cost Jets something similar to the following:

• Pick No. 4 (1,800)

• Pick No. 29 (640)

• Pick No. 35 (550)

• Pick No. 103 (88)

As it stands right now, the Jets own seven of the draft's first 117 selections, giving them the ammunition to make this kind of blockbuster move. If they made the deal with the Texans for Bush, the Jets would be left with three of those picks (71, 97, 117) in the first four rounds.

While Bush is unquestionably the best prospect in this year's draft, it would still be understandable if the Texans opted to make such a deal. General manager Charlie Casserly must assess Bush's value as compared to those four picks, which could land his team a quartet of prospects similar to the following:

• Pick No. 4: Virginia OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson

• Pick No. 29: Ohio State DC Ashton Youboty

• Pick No. 35: Penn State DE Tamba Hali

• Pick No. 103: Virginia Tech OLB James Anderson

When considering the Texans' glaring needs along the offensive line and on defense, it would be difficult to chose Bush over those four prospects -- especially with RB Dominic Davis already in house.

Regardless, Bush will be the first prospect called to the podium next Saturday.

You can't look short-term with the Texans.  They are going to suck this season just like they did the last.  However, Pick up Bush with your 1st pick, draft a couple solid O-Linemen in the next rounds and you have greatly improved your team.  Then trade DD for a defensive linemen if the right trade comes around.

1432286[/snapback]

I like what you're saying but......

Good defensive linemen are hard to come by. I doubt you could offer up a DD

for a good D-lineman.

I say trade the pick and go after Ferguson. He'll be a cornerstone on Houston's

O-line for years. You still have DD and a very decent backup in Morency. Don't

really have the need for Bush. Trading away the rights to draft Bush could surely

land Houston Ferguson or Williams(if you want to go D-line) and extra pick(s)

to top it off.

Bush Market

Pick No. 4 (1,800)

• Pick No. 29 (640)

• Pick No. 35 (550)

• Pick No. 103 (88)

1432626[/snapback]

Well if this trade was offered I would for sure trade it but I don't see them getting an offer anywhere near this. If you backed it up to the beginning of the offseason I would have said trade Carr and draft Young.

I think that Ferguson, in a zone blocking scheme could dominate on a level never before seen by an offensive tackle. Also, I feel that you never pass up a chance at a franchise tackle or qb. I think the rb position can be filled a lot easier than the other two.

Ferguson makes Carr better right off the bat, by allowing him some extra time to do something... I don't see Bush coming in immediatly and putting up the same numbers as Davis... You draft on need, not on what the sexy pick is... If they pick Bush, they've doomed themselves for a long time.

Edited by piratesownninjas