[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chargers could relocate

Hat Trick

San Antonia is a nice place, but Texas will not support 3 teams, just like Florida will not support 3 teams.

My guess is that the Chargers will find a way to stay in San Diego, and Jacksonville will be moving to LA in two or three years.

San Antonia is a nice place, but Texas will not support 3 teams, just like Florida will not support 3 teams. 

My guess is that the Chargers will find a way to stay in San Diego, and Jacksonville will be moving to LA in two or three years.

1431827[/snapback]

Ever been to a HS football game in Texas? SA can support a team, easily. I'd be willing to bet they will have an easier time supporting a team than say St. Louis, Arizona, Carolina, Tampa, Jacksonville, SD, OAK, NO, and possibly a few others.

San Antonio would EASILY support ANY team. Football is king in Texas, and they would not have difficulty supporting another team in additon to the Cowboys and Texans. The better point is, from the NFL pov, Texas doesn't "need" another team b/c of the popularity of the Boys. In other words, the San Antonio/Austin TV market is already chock full of NFL fans watching Cowboy games (and Texans to a much lesser degree). If SD blows it and loses the Chargers, you know full well the NFL will try to tap back into LA... and they would be stupid not to. And I say that as a frequent visitor to SA who would love to see them land a team (and still wonder if the Saints might eventually wind up there, despite rhetoric to the contrary).

San Antonio would EASILY support ANY team.  Football is king in Texas, and they would not have difficulty supporting another team in additon to the Cowboys and Texans. The better point is, from the NFL pov, Texas doesn't "need" another team b/c of the popularity of the Boys.  In other words, the San Antonio/Austin TV market is already chock full of NFL fans watching Cowboy games (and Texans to a much lesser degree).  If SD blows it and loses the Chargers, you know full well the NFL will try to tap back into LA... and they would be stupid not to.  And I say that as a frequent visitor to SA who would love to see them land a team (and still wonder if the Saints might eventually wind up there, despite rhetoric to the contrary).

1432232[/snapback]

I agree with you to an extent: Football IS king in Texas, but mostly high school and college football (ok, and the Cowboys). Don't forget that Houston lost the Oilers because they couldn't fill up that stadium--and they had some good teams down there. It wouldn't make sense for the NFL to put a team anywhere else but LA, at this point.

That being said, LA is full of Raiders fans and I don't think the people will necessarily support the Chargers there. I forsee the luxury boxes being filled, but half of the regular seats being empty.

But I would argue that San Antonio would be a better NFL city than Houston... and a savvy franchise would stick a Hispanic nickname to a relocated team in SA and reap unbelievable rewards, both from the Hispanic population in South Texas and from the close proximity to Mexico. As far as filling the stands go, SA is a better option than LA... but filling the stands is not what drives the $$ in the NFL. On the other financial considerations - TV esp - LA makes much more sense to me.

I agree with you to an extent:  Football IS king in Texas, but mostly high school and college football (ok, and the Cowboys).  Don't forget that Houston lost the Oilers because they couldn't fill up that stadium--and they had some good teams down there.  It wouldn't make sense for the NFL to put a team anywhere else but LA, at this point.

That being said, LA is full of Raiders fans and I don't think the people will necessarily support the Chargers there.  I forsee the luxury boxes being filled, but half of the regular seats being empty.

1432244[/snapback]

In Texas all football is king, not just high school football. Texas, Texas A&M, and SMU (prior to the death penalty that did actually kill that program) have long traditions, and in certain areas you can get stoned if you are wearing the wrong college colors. Texas loves NFL ball too. I'd love to see NFL ratings by state, I'd be willing to bet that Texas tops the list. The Oilers were were an interesting scenerio. First, Houston is the homo capital of Texas, and homo's on average don't watch as much football as straight guys. Second EVERYONE in Texas hated Bud Adams long before he moved the team. I could turn your argument around on you. How many teams have been in LA, and how many teams have moved out of LA?

and a savvy franchise would stick a Hispanic nickname to a relocated team in SA and reap unbelievable rewards,

1432268[/snapback]

If this is the case, shouldn't SA just go after the Saints? Afterall almost all Mexicans are Catholic, and Catholics love their saints. Si, Si, mi likey Saint Horn.

Southern California, southern Texas? I'd say there's more than enough Mexicans to support the team in either location.

1432917[/snapback]

I would argue that, as a whole, hispanics in either area probably can't afford to go to an NFL game but maybe once per season, let alone afford season tickets. The question is, "Is there enough rich, white business owners to buy up all the luxury boxes in San Antonio."

I would argue that, as a whole, hispanics in either area probably can't afford to go to an NFL game but maybe once per season, let alone afford season tickets.  The question is, "Is there enough rich, white business owners to buy up all the luxury boxes in San Antonio."

1433192[/snapback]

Do they do so with the Spurs?

San Antonio would EASILY support ANY team.  Football is king in Texas, and they would not have difficulty supporting another team in additon to the Cowboys and Texans. The better point is, from the NFL pov, Texas doesn't "need" another team b/c of the popularity of the Boys.  In other words, the San Antonio/Austin TV market is already chock full of NFL fans watching Cowboy games (and Texans to a much lesser degree).  If SD blows it and loses the Chargers, you know full well the NFL will try to tap back into LA... and they would be stupid not to.  And I say that as a frequent visitor to SA who would love to see them land a team (and still wonder if the Saints might eventually wind up there, despite rhetoric to the contrary).

1432232[/snapback]

In Florida football is king also, but fans in Jax don't seem to want to support their

NFL team. If it isn't Gators, Noles, or Canes, hardly anyone seems to care.

I don't understand how a city could set the attendance record for a USFL team

(Bulls) with a losing record but can't even fill the stadium with an NFL playoff

team. Newspaper here was pleading with Jax fans this week about not letting

other teams(specifically Steelers) fill their stadium. Would look pretty bad for

Jax to see a MNF game in week 2 filled with black and gold Terrible Towell waving

Steeler fans. It will happen anyway.

Getting back to San Antonio, I think people in Texas would support another team

but NFL desparately wants a team in LA. I can see the Jags heading to LA in

the very near future. Sure hope the Chargers stay put though. I hope the Jags

stay put also but I don't see it happening. 6,000 of their measly 17,000 season

ticket holders didn't renew. San Antonio is an interesting wild card here though.

If they can step up to the plate, and I think they can, who knows. We could see

and NFL team there, but not before LA.

The mood here in San Diego is glum. :D The only thing preventing the Chargers from leaving here is the hope that Chula Vista or Oceanside can strike a deal and keep them in the county, a long shot at best. The DA in San Diego is already threatening to sue to keep the name the SAN DIEGO Chargers if they stay in the county.

Personally it looks like the Chargers will move away. My first guess is Anaheim or somewhere else in the L.A. area, but San Antonio is almost as likely.

Ever been to  a HS football game in Texas?  SA can support a team, easily. I'd be willing to bet they will have an easier time supporting a team than say St. Louis, Arizona, Carolina, Tampa, Jacksonville, SD, OAK, NO, and possibly a few others.

1431907[/snapback]

San Antonio supported the hell out of the Saints. The runoff went to Austin as well. A home team in SA would be a home team for Austin. There are alot of people in Austin that are not Cowboy, Texans fans because they have no history here. Granted, I was a Saints fan before moving here but I would still go if it were the Chargers as well. It's alot closer than driving 3-4 hours to Dallas or Houston.

That being said, I think it will be LA where a good part of the population adopted the Chargers as their team anyway when the Rams bailed.

First, Houston is the homo capital of Texas, and homo's on average don't watch as much football as straight guys. 

1432762[/snapback]

Actually, that would be Austin and there are a hell of a football fans there. Agreed that Houston is weak, though. It's a huge sprawl without an ounce of character and the weather in the summer absolutely sucks.

Texas would easily support 3 NFL teams. A franchise in SA would also include the Austin area. But I don't think it'll happen. The NFL really, really wants a team in LA and I think that a move to Orange County would be the most likely scenario.

If this is the case, shouldn't SA just go after the Saints?  Afterall almost all Mexicans are Catholic, and Catholics love their saints.  Si, Si, mi likey Saint Horn.

1432920[/snapback]

I didn't mean my statement as anything at all negative, but rather as a positive about the huge hispanic audience in STexas. SA did go after the Saints, and if Tags and the NFL were smart they would have just let that happen. I feel awful for the folks in New Orleans... but it makes no sense to put a football team back in there right now.

As far as Mexicans being able to afford going to an NFL game... most of them can every bit as much as I can! But again, the main money force for the NFL is not in ticket revenue as much as it is in TV and apparel. I would think tapping into the hispanic market would be good for both of those revenue streams. And there is NO DOUBT San Antonio would pack out a stadium.

Don't forget that Houston lost the Oilers because they couldn't fill up that stadium--and they had some good teams down there. 

1432244[/snapback]

Let's not forget that Houston ALWAYS loved the Oilers (Luv Ya Blue!). But, Houston's disdain for Bud Adams and his crap became greater than their love for the Oilers. Yes, it was that bad. Talk about a love-hate relationship!

That sounds even stupider than Indianapolis Colts.

1435101[/snapback]

Arizona Cardinals?

Are there tigers in Cincinnati? Lions in Detroit? Jaguars in Jacksonville? Rams in St. Louis? Panthers in Carolina?

I'm guessing you don't like Mayflower trucks either. . .

Ever been to  a HS football game in Texas?  SA can support a team, easily. I'd be willing to bet they will have an easier time supporting a team than say St. Louis, Arizona, Carolina, Tampa, Jacksonville, SD, OAK, NO, and possibly a few others.

1431907[/snapback]

1432232[/snapback]

Texas owns every state ever.