[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

T Jones

Avernus

Bears | Team divided on running back situation; Jones skipping workouts

Sat, 22 Apr 2006 06:07:14 -0700

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports the Chicago Bears appear to be divided about their running back situation. Head coach Lovie Smith reacted adamantly against the idea RB Thomas Jones could be traded, but general manager Jerry Angelo did not deny an ESPN report that has linked the veteran running back to the Indianapolis Colts, who are still working to replace RB Edgerrin James in their high-powered offense. Complicating the matter is that Jones fired agent Tom Condon and signed on with Drew Rosenhaus in the last week, and has stopped reporting for the voluntary offseason program at Halas Hall. A source in Indianapolis said the best package the Bears could get would start with a third-round pick in the draft. ''If there is a trade that will improve Thomas' situation, that would certainly be appealing,'' Rosenhaus said.

if he were to become a Colt...would you place him around the 6th spot?...or keep him in the latter half of the top 10?...

I'd personally put him 6th or 7th based on the fact he's quicker than Edge and may be better with the quick dumpoffs...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How could they trade this guy he has been one of the most underrated players in the league for two year now and why would the Bears halt the progression the team.  Thank god the Falcons and Broncs don't have big Rosenhaus clients

1432425[/snapback]

because Benson has a huge contract...it's crazy, though....

it's like Brees/Rivers at the RB position..

I'm not sure I really see that happening, although I would love for it to.  It would change things dramatically... esp for Cedric Benson.  Where would you slot him if TJones is dealt?

1432426[/snapback]

his spot is an enigma to me as he could get alot better with the right preperation..

I mean, his OL is one of the best in the league...

he'd be at worst at the bottom half of my top 15...at worst...

:D

Interesting. I had not heard that rumor. Depending on what the Colts had to give up, I think that could be a great trade. Jones is very underrated, and has some mileage left. He's definitely not as durable, and is not an upgrade over Edge in any aspect, but would be serviceable. Jones, Rhodes, and Mungro would be an interesting RBBC.

Edited by CaptainHook

:D

Interesting.  I had not heard that rumor.  Depending on what the Colts had to give up, I think that could be a great trade.  Jones is very underrated, and has some mileage left.  He's definitely not as durable, and is not an upgrade over Edge in any aspect, but would be serviceable.  Jones, Rhodes, and Mungro would be an interesting RBBC.

1432441[/snapback]

I think he'd be used the same as Edge...and of course not as productive or as good a pass blocker...but I think he's more explosive and holds more of a potential of a homerun threat...

especially on turf..

I think he'd be used the same as Edge...and of course not as productive or as good a pass blocker...but I think he's more explosive and holds more of a potential of a homerun threat...

especially on turf..

1432447[/snapback]

Jones YPC last year was 4.3.

Edgerrin's was 4.2. Although he did average 4.6 in 2005.

Jones longest carry was for 42 yards.

Edgerrin's was 33. A common misconception about Edgerrin was that he "lost" some speed after the knee injury. He probably did, but it wasn't much. His longest carry in the last 6 years was 43 yards in 2003. That includes his second and third years in the league, which were both pre-injury. He had a 72 yard run against Philly as a rookie. That's the only long run I can even remember.

So, you're right. Probably more chance of the "home run" with Jones, but like I said, I wonder about his durablilty. And Jones has never really had great receiving numbers. That could be because of the systems he's been in. I can't really speak to that.

because Benson has a huge contract...it's crazy, though....

it's like Brees/Rivers at the RB position..

1432427[/snapback]

It's very similar to brees/ rivers (except jones isn't hurt of course). they're paying this guy all this money - they need to get him on the field. I'm actually kind of surprised i havent heard jones' name come up more often in possible trade talks.

Jones YPC last year was 4.3. 

Edgerrin's was 4.2.  Although he did average 4.6 in 2005.

Jones longest carry was for 42 yards.

Edgerrin's was 33.  A common misconception about Edgerrin was that he "lost" some speed after the knee injury.  He probably did, but it wasn't much.  His longest carry in the last 6 years was 43 yards in 2003.  That includes his second and third years in the league, which were both pre-injury.  He had a 72 yard run against Philly as a rookie.  That's the only long run I can even remember.

So, you're right.  Probably more chance of the "home run" with Jones, but like I said, I wonder about his durablilty.  And Jones has never really had great receiving numbers.  That could be because of the systems he's been in.  I can't really speak to that.

1432458[/snapback]

he's a very good receiving back...

in 2004, he came on strong early with his reception count...and then Grossman was injured...

and he hasn't been injury prone as of late, after he had something fixed in his respiratory system or some crap like that(I'm sure someone will correct me)...

now I'm not even going to begin comparing the 2 backs...Edge is vastly superior...but fantasy-wise, this year I'd put Jones ahead of Edge in my rankings...and he has better cut-back ability....so this goes back to the home-run threat and he may be better suited for what the Colts do as an offense than Edge...aside from the pass bloacking ability that Edge has..

It's very similar to brees/ rivers (except jones isn't hurt of course).  they're paying this guy all this money - they need to get him on the field.  I'm actually kind of surprised i havent heard jones' name come up more often in possible trade talks.

1432473[/snapback]

the comparison was with a back who had a good year with no QB and still had a RB drafted in the 1st to be the future..

of course, Brees didn't play well until after Rivers was drafted...

Wow why would the Bears want to give up there only source of offense for the last 2 years.

1432469[/snapback]

if they can upgrade at a key position, then it's possible as they've clearly drafted their future in Benson...

if they can get a decent draft pick(s) for him, I say why not...

Benson is making the big bucks to be out there, why tie up that much money in one position?...plus Peterson has proven to be a viable spell-back..

I was hoping for Onterrio to the Colts since he may be cut.

1432502[/snapback]

this is possibly the back the Eagles are after as they have been very strongly rumored to be after a WR on another team currently (at the time I heard it) and a RB in the same type of situation...

they are waiting for a potential cut and the chance to trade...

I didn't even think Smith as I figured they'd keep him...

this is possibly the back the Eagles are after as they have been very strongly rumored to be after a WR on another team currently (at the time I heard it) and a RB in the same type of situation...

they are waiting for a potential cut and the chance to trade...

I didn't even think Smith as I figured they'd keep him...

1432503[/snapback]

Last I heard Minnesota isn't interested but won't decide until May. They never mention him and seem to be moving on without him. If he has changed he could be good for the Eagles.

Last I heard Minnesota isn't interested but won't decide until May. They never mention him and seem to be moving on without him. If he has changed he could be good for the Eagles.

1432509[/snapback]

he's exactly the back we need and I don't know of any other back on a team that will get cut...he sounds about right and it would only make sense for Childress to tip his hand to Reid and let him know what he plans on doing before anyone else..

he's exactly the back we need and I don't know of any other back on a team that will get cut...he sounds about right and it would only make sense for Childress to tip his hand to Reid and let him know what he plans on doing before anyone else..

1432515[/snapback]

Good point.

Wow why would the Bears want to give up there only source of offense for the last 2 years.

1432469[/snapback]

Olin Kreutz, that is why they can trade Jones. they know whoever they put back there running behind him will do good enough.

If I was the Bears I would be shopping him around. the Colts would be a perfect fit for him.

Olin Kreutz, that is why they can trade Jones. they know whoever they put back there running behind him will do good enough.

If I was the Bears I would be shopping him around. the Colts would be a perfect fit for him.

1432548[/snapback]

Not as good a blocker as Edge, but he would have longer runs.

Not as good a blocker as Edge, but he would have longer runs.

1432579[/snapback]

He and Edge have alot of similarities IMO. both take the yards the line gives them, they don't get caught in the backfield much because of this.

As far as the 2 of them, I think Edge is more fundamentally sound, but Jones is younger and as you have said I would expect quite a few more long runs.

Any Colts' fan who thinks they would be better off without Jones doesn't know what they are talking about; Jones, money wise and talent wise, is one of the most underrated players in the league. I would be fine with the Bears trading him because his value is pretty high right now. I think Cedric Benson is going to be a stud. Our line can block and we have great depth with Peterson. I would love to see for this to happen, especially if the Bears can squeeze out a great draft pick.

Any Colts' fan who thinks they would be better off without Jones doesn't know what they are talking about; Jones, money wise and talent wise, is one of the most underrated players in the league. I would be fine with the Bears trading him because his value is pretty high right now. I think Cedric Benson is going to be a stud. Our line can block and we have great depth with Peterson. I would love to see for this to happen, especially if the Bears can squeeze out a great draft pick.

1432659[/snapback]

If I was a Bears fan I would feel the exact same way.