[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

T Jones

Avernus

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This ain't awesome.

+----------+-------------+--------+----+| WK  OPP  |  RSH   YD   |  RECYD | TD |+----------+-------------+--------+----+|  1  was  |    3    10  |     0  |  0 ||  2  det  |   16    49  |     0  |  0 ||  5  cle  |    5     6  |     0  |  0 ||  6  min  |    3     2  |     0  |  0 ||  7  bal  |    2     6  |     0  |  0 ||  8  det  |    3    35  |     0  |  0 ||  9  nor  |   14    79  |     0  |  0 || 10  sfo  |   12    50  |     0  |  0 || 17  min  |    9    35  |     3  |  0 |+----------+-------------+--------+----+|  TOTAL   |   67   272  |     3  |  0 |+----------+-------------+--------+----+

1433537[/snapback]

The only games that really mattered at all in the above was the week 9 and 10 game. He ran 26 times for 129 yards - 5.0 YPC. Those were the ONLY games he had any chance to get anything going and had learned the offense. In week 9, Thomas Jones had 11 carries for 40 yards while Benson had 14 for 79. Jones missed week ten and in his first start, Benson ran 12 times for 50 yards before being injured as well.

Bottom line is that he came in late and the Bears did not use him much at all until after midseason when he ran better than TJ did once he had more than one series in a game. But his knee was sprained. It was the most games he has ever missed since he had always been durable in the past and rebounded pretty quickly from an injury that looked catastrophic at the time.

Writing off Benson at this juncture is extremely premature to me. Don't get me wrong, it is not like he will be ranked top ten this year but he is by no means a bust because of last year. It is certainly a mis-use of him to expect much when he was getting 3 to 5 carries a game and it is a mis-use to consider him just a part of a committee backfield. That is just not the sort of runner that he is. Jones was getting 20+ carries in every game. Let's see if next year at this time everyone still considers TJ as the clearly superior RB.

The only games that really mattered at all in the above was the week 9 and 10 game. He ran 26 times for 129 yards  - 5.0 YPC. Those were the ONLY games he had any chance to get anything going and had learned the offense. In week 9, Thomas Jones had 11 carries for 40 yards while Benson had 14 for 79. Jones missed week ten and in his first start, Benson ran 12 times for 50 yards before being injured as well.

Bottom line is that he came in late and the Bears did not use him much at all until after midseason when he ran better than TJ did once he had more than one series in a game. But his knee was sprained. It was the most games he has ever missed since he had always been durable in the past and rebounded pretty quickly from an injury that looked catastrophic at the time.

Writing off Benson at this juncture is extremely premature to me. Don't get me wrong, it is not like he will be ranked top ten this year but he is by no means a bust because of last year.  It is certainly a mis-use of him to expect much when he was getting 3 to 5 carries a game and it is a mis-use to consider him just a part of a committee backfield. That is just not the sort of runner that he is. Jones was getting 20+ carries in every game. Let's see if next year at this time everyone still considers TJ as the clearly superior RB.

1433877[/snapback]

+1

The only games that really mattered at all in the above was the week 9 and 10 game. He ran 26 times for 129 yards  - 5.0 YPC. Those were the ONLY games he had any chance to get anything going and had learned the offense. In week 9, Thomas Jones had 11 carries for 40 yards while Benson had 14 for 79. Jones missed week ten and in his first start, Benson ran 12 times for 50 yards before being injured as well.

Writing off Benson at this juncture is extremely premature to me. Don't get me wrong, it is not like he will be ranked top ten this year but he is by no means a bust because of last year.  It is certainly a mis-use of him to expect much when he was getting 3 to 5 carries a game and it is a mis-use to consider him just a part of a committee backfield. That is just not the sort of runner that he is. Jones was getting 20+ carries in every game. Let's see if next year at this time everyone still considers TJ as the clearly superior RB.

1433877[/snapback]

People also have to remember how long it took Thomas Jones to be considered a decent RB. he was considered a bust after more than 1 year(3 to be exact). in TJ's 1st year he averaged 3.3. YPC and it took him 4 years to have a season where he averaged 4.0 YPC. Benson did that his 1st year.

I know they were in different situations, but I would not even try to say Benson is a bust yet.

I think its the fact that DMD and I both live in the Dallas area, so we had the pleasure of seeing Cedric Benson's college career.  The guy is a power house.  An absolute complete back... Nevermind that I have him in my dynasty league... Along with the Caddie.

1433888[/snapback]

Yeah I got Benson in 1 Dynasty and Thomas Jones in another.

I was hoping to get on here tonight and see TJ becoming a Colt and for Benson to be the new Bears starter. that would of been a big day for fantasy teams of mine.

Just to clarify. When I say I smell bust, I'm saying that's my gut feeling about how he will end up. I'm certainly no fool and I know many great players bloom late. And it's not even late yet for Benson, obviously going into his second season. But like I said, my gut tells me he will be a bust but I hope I'm wrong.

Edited by Brentastic

I've never said he IS a bust, I've just said that I have major questions about his attitude and his work ethic, plus the advice he listens to may well be suspect.

As far as I'm concerned, the jury's out. I hope when it comes back, it's a :D

I've never said he IS a bust, I've just said that I have major questions about his attitude and his work ethic, plus the advice he listens to may well be suspect.

As far as I'm concerned, the jury's out.  I hope when it comes back, it's a :D

1433908[/snapback]

!

People also have to remember how long it took Thomas Jones to be considered a decent RB. he was considered a bust after more than 1 year(3 to be exact). in TJ's 1st year he averaged 3.3. YPC and it took him 4 years to have a season where he averaged 4.0 YPC. Benson did that his 1st year.

I know they were in different situations, but I would not even try to say Benson is a bust yet.

1433887[/snapback]

I'm saying he showed no promise...he never capitalized on any run...

example..

Kevin Jones was crap last year....had a crap OL...and alot of his runs early in the season were one guy away from big a homerun....

instead if was a 8 or 9 yd gain and then the Lions would get down and away from running and he'd end up with around 15 carries and 50 yds....and an occasional 20+ carry game where he still didn't hit 100...

okay...he didn't play that great..mediocre at best on his best day..and was in a bad situation....but he still showed promise..in the future...

Benson would dink and dunk 1-2 yd carries.....he might have had 4 or 5 on a great carry....up the gut...

I think its the fact that DMD and I both live in the Dallas area, so we had the pleasure of seeing Cedric Benson's college career.  The guy is a power house.  An absolute complete back... Nevermind that I have him in my dynasty league... Along with the Caddie.

1433888[/snapback]

I have a different philosophy....

I never watch college....ever...I think it skews one's perspective because it's a different game..

alot of factors come into play....cheap things like 'fun n' gun' and all of that....

I like to see clips of certain players before draft....read up on them and then see who takes them...

certain teams are money when it comes to drafting backs....even Denver....I usually got with a Denver back ...

but I dunno...I'm retarded...I hated TBell...I forget why...but it looks like I made a good decision so far...

Two words.  Ron Dayne.

1433852[/snapback]

That is a phoenonom of Heisman winners not doing too well in the NFL, as it goes to a higher lever and some dominant college players can't adjust to this.

I'm saying he showed no promise...he never capitalized on any run...

Benson would dink and dunk 1-2 yd carries.....he might have had 4 or 5 on a great carry....up the gut...

1433945[/snapback]

Benson had game high runs of 19, 25, 36 and 18 yards last year in very limited action. In the only two games he actually played he averaged 5.6 and 4.2 yards per carry. In week seven, he only was given three carries and had the 25 yard run against the Lions. Thomas Jones only averaged 3.3 yards per carry that week and fell below 4 yards per carry in half of his games.

Again, if Benson had received the 20 to 25 carries per game that Jones always had, he would have done better than Jones did as he was starting to show for the two weeks prior to his knee sprain when Jones did not run as well. I think those handful of games during the first part of last season when Benson was only given two or three carries a week is unrealistically affecting perceptions.

That is a phoenonom of Heisman winners not doing too well in the NFL, as it goes to a higher lever and some dominant college players can't adjust to this.

1434049[/snapback]

Ron Dayne never had any speed or moves in particular. He had a great line in college and he was so big he could bang past the safeties who were the first to actually meet him. That does not happen much in the NFL. Comparing Benson to Dayne is apples and oranges. Comparing almost any RB to Dayne is not proper.

They use more inside lanes than outside.

1432702[/snapback]

:D Perhaps Hook could clarify, but isn't Indy's most common running play far ans away the stretch play to the outside?

And didn't they really limit the use of Edge as a receiver the last 2 seasons?

:D  Perhaps Hook could clarify, but isn't Indy's most common running play far ans away the stretch play to the outside?

And didn't they really limit the use of Edge as a receiver the last 2 seasons?

1434133[/snapback]

yes and yes

Word in Indy is that Polian has backed of in his interest of Thomas Jones.

And I was not comparing Benson to Dayne. Just used him as an example that just because you had a great college career does not mean you'll make it in the NFL.

yes and yes

Word in Indy is that Polian has backed of in his interest of Thomas Jones.

And I was not comparing Benson to Dayne.  Just used him as an example that just because you had a great college career does not mean you'll make it in the NFL.

1434357[/snapback]

They said in the Chicago Tribune that when Polian heard that Jones was skipping the team workouts, he backed out of talks with Angelo.