[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

T Jones

Avernus

yes and yes

Word in Indy is that Polian has backed of in his interest of Thomas Jones.

And I was not comparing Benson to Dayne.  Just used him as an example that just because you had a great college career does not mean you'll make it in the NFL.

1434357[/snapback]

So you might agree that Maroney's strengths would actually work well in Indy, no?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing that concerns me is his lack of experience as a receiver.  But it's seems to be system related.

1434389[/snapback]

I think all of the 1st round backs could come into Indy and play well except for White....I think his style is more suited for Pittsburgh or Carolina...

I think all of the 1st round backs could come into Indy and play well except for White....I think his style is more suited for Pittsburgh or Carolina...

1434392[/snapback]

I think Addai would be the best fit. I think he is a heck of a football player and has the drive to do well.

I think Addai would be the best fit. I think he is a heck of a football player and has the drive to do well.

1434394[/snapback]

I don't know much about him, but if he has the smarts and speed...he'll be able to capitalize in that high powered offense..

I don't know much about him, but if he has the smarts and speed...he'll be able to capitalize in that high powered offense..

1434399[/snapback]

This is pre-Senior Bowl:

Joseph Addai is an all-purpose back who finished second in rushing and third in receiving for LSU as a junior in 2004. Addai was listed as the backup to Alley Broussard heading into the 2005 season but took over as the primary ballcarrier when Broussard was lost to injury. When healthy early in the season, Addai capitalized on the opportunity with 642 rushing yards in the first six games, which significantly improved his draft stock. However, a lingering ankle sprain slowed him during LSU's final six regular-season games, when he rushed for just 139 combined yards. Addai did bounce back with a strong performance (130 yards on 24 carries) against Miami in the Peach Bowl, but there are still concerns regarding his overall consistency.

Addai is a decisive, slippery runner with excellent timed speed and impressive overall versatility as a receiver and blocker. He must use this week at the Senior Bowl to build positive momentum heading into the 2006 NFL draft. Right now, Addai grades out as a second-round prospect, but his draft value still stands to fluctuate considerably during the postseason process

This is after:

Addai, who entered this week projected as a late first-day or early second-day pick, showed that he is one of the most versatile backs in this class this week. He ran hard between the tackles, showed great speed when he turned the corner, caught the ball well and did an excellent job as a blocker. Addai's biggest weakness remains his durability. He had problems staying healthy at the collegiate level and that will cause some teams to shy away from him on the first day despite his strong performance here. Addai wasn't quite as decisive or aggressive as some of the other backs and he got tackled in the backfield on more than one occasion. His lack of elite elusiveness is also a concern. He needs a seam to be truly effective because he lacks the ability to make multiple defenders miss.

1434399[/snapback]

Glad you admitted that.

Addai is the #5 ranked RB in the draft and you've been pumping up the #4 guy. Dig deep, go to the next level. (okay, dig shallow, with a spoon... it is April with the draft less than a week away. No digging necessary really.)

I actually have Addai rated higher than Maroney even though Addai will probably be another Justin Fargas (combine riser / workout warrior).

If Drew were taller, he'd blow both of them away in talent. This draft has alot of pipsqueaks in it, Maroney is #4 because he's one of the taller backs and has game-breaking speed. He lacks everything else.

Indy took Edge over Ricky because of his hands and fit the offense. Two of Maroney's glaring weaknesses are his receiving skills and his blocking.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to the topic at hand:

TJones for a third round pick would be a steal. A guy that has run for 1000+ yards multiple times in the NFL and has (currently) a $2mil contract. He can catch, run inside and out, and can block. He's still relatively young and a workout warrior. Drawback = can be injury prone, but welcome to the RB position where only a few remain consistantly healthy.

Just for arguement's sake, I guess it comes down to which Indy would prefer:

RB Laurence Maroney (1.30) + LB Abdul Hodge (3.94)

Using the mock draft here:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockround3.html

or

RB Thomas Jones (in lieu of Hodge) + LB Roger McIntosh (the next LB drafted in this mock, but could be anyone available after 1.29 obviously)

Easy choice for me here... Jones + first round defensive talent.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

A first round calibre defensive player + a 1st round calibre RB with a little mileage.

or

A third round calibre defensive player + a 1st round calibre RB with unknown skills at the NFL level

Easy choice for me again.

The Chicago Tribune reported several teams, including the Colts, have contacted Bears general manager Jerry Angelo regarding Jones' availability. The newspaper reported the Colts' interest waned when they discovered Jones was skipping Bears' voluntary workouts.

Jones, 27, was a first round pick(7th overall) of the Arizona Cardinals in 2000.

-Indianapolis Star