[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ricky William's may be resolved this week

DMD

According to ESPN

Ricky Williams picture may clear up this weekBy Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

This could be the week in which the football future of erstwhile Miami Dolphins tailback Ricky Williams, who faces a year-long suspension from the league over allegations of a fourth violation of the substance abuse policy, is determined.

League officials have offered no indication of when a resolution might come on Williams' appeal earlier this month of the pending suspension. But in the April 10 appeals hearing, presided over by NFL counsel Jeffrey Pash, the Dolphins requested an expedited decision -- preferably before the draft. Miami officials would like to approach the draft this coming weekend with a clear picture of their tailback situation.

Decisions on such appeals can often take months, but the league might view the Williams situation and the proximity to the draft as a mitigating circumstance and make a determination this week. By policy, the league does not comment on matters involving its substance abuse policy, including appeals, until a resolution is reached.

"I'm on the team right now," Williams, attending a Friday evening charity function, told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. "What's going to happen, I really can't say. I'm a spiritual person, so I believe that whatever happens is God's will. Whatever it is, I'll make the best of this, and life goes on."

According to reports, Williams tested positive, likely in December, toward the end of the 2005 season, for a substance banned by the league. In at least three other violations, Williams tested positive for Josh Gordon.

In the lengthy appeals hearing, it is believed that attorney David Cornwell, who represented Williams, claimed that the positive test was inconsistent with his client's behavior over the past year. A former league counsel, Cornwell helped craft the NFL's substance abuse guidelines, is eminently familiar with the policy and has represented many players in the past in the appeals process.

One of the witnesses who testified in support of Williams in the appeal was Dolphins coach Nick Saban.

Unless Williams' camp succeeds in persuading the league that there were extenuating circumstances in the latest positive test, and that a year-long suspension is undeserved, Williams faces his second lengthy exile in three seasons. He missed the entire 2004 season when he abruptly retired, only days before the start of training camp that summer, following his third violation of the substance abuse policy.

Were he to be suspended for the entire 2006 season, Williams could apply for reinstatement to the league after one year. But were he to be reinstated in 2007, Williams would return as a 30-year-old running back who had appeared in just 12 games in three years.

Life is difficult enough for a running back in the NFL once he turns 30. It would be especially difficult for Williams, given the rust he would have accumulated. And there are no guarantees, if Williams is banished for 2006, that he would even want to resume his career when eligible for reinstatement. The four-time 1,000-yard rusher returned to the Dolphins in 2005, served a four-game suspension for his past drug-related offenses, and forfeited an additional four game checks as part of the sanctions against him. He then ran for 743 yards and six touchdowns while serving as the backup to rookie Ronnie Brown, the team's first-round pick. Williams played in 12 games and started three of them.

The Sun-Sentinel reported that Williams, who spent much of the offseason in India on a yoga retreat, appeared to "have lost a considerable amount of bulk." The paper reported that, when asked what he will do if his appeal is denied, Williams replied: "You live life in the moment. To say what something was in the past, or what will be in the future, is just a waste of time."

For his career, Williams, a first-round draft choice of the New Orleans Saints who was traded to Miami in 2002, has rushed for 7,097 yards and 47 touchdowns on 1,757 carries. The former University of Texas star has appeared in 82 games and started 73 times.

The Dolphins recently re-signed backup tailbacks Sammy Morris and Travis Minor, but neither figures to provide them the kind of productivity that Williams did in 2005.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

Ah - gotta love Ricky. He did it his way.

Typical T-Sip: stupid, stoned, and a left wing nut...

1433958[/snapback]

Left wing? What has he said that was political?

At least he isn't launching a war against the wrong country and sending other people's kids to die. I would much rather have Bush, Cheney and the neo cons do yoga and herbs in India than send our jobs over there.

I hear he's clean and a good teammate. If he is I hope they let him back.

Left wing? What has he said that was political?

1433963[/snapback]

Evidently Spain drove through Austin one time and saw someone he thought was a liberal through his rolled up window. He's been scared ever since. As if the Capitol of Heaven could actually take a political side.

At least he isn't launching a war against the wrong country and sending other people's kids to die. I would much rather have Bush, Cheney and the neo cons do yoga and herbs in India than send our jobs over there.

I hear he's clean and a good teammate. If he is I hope they let him back.

1433963[/snapback]

Bush lied!!

I bet Ricky will use the whizinator on his next test.

He lost a considerable amount of bulk again? Why would he do that if he knew he was going to be playing football this season?

Evidently Spain drove through Austin one time and saw someone he thought was a liberal through his rolled up window. He's been scared ever since. As if the Capitol of Heaven could actually take a political side.

1434070[/snapback]

I guess. Hatha Yoga does have a hippe connotation but lately it also is used by many regular people as a form of great exercise. A lot of people swear by it that have no political slant.

Edited by Randall

Bush lied!!

I bet Ricky will use the whizinator on his next test.

He lost a considerable amount of bulk again? Why would he do that if he knew he was going to be playing football this season?

1434344[/snapback]

What is "considerable"?

If its 5-10lbs, I say "no big deal" ... he'll be quicker and potentially have greater stamina later in the games / season.

If its 15-20lbs, I say "big deal" as that would (IIRC) put him at 210lbs or so, significantly lighter than he's been in a VERY long time.

1434070[/snapback]

Come on David! You know that Austin is the biggest steaming pile of liberal stupidity and hippee haven( or should I say Hippee Hollow) this side of Berkely.

Edited by spain

Come on David!  You know that Austin is the biggest steaming pile of liberal stupidity and hippee haven( or should I say Hippee Hollow) this side of Berkely.

1435077[/snapback]

Pssst...pretty much everything in the continental US is "this side" of Berkeley...

I hope that it all goes well.  Ricky really seems to have cleaned himself up on the herb end ~ and he really seems to have a pretty good relationship with Saban

1434042[/snapback]

That's a good point about Saban. Of the tapes and interviews I've seen of him, he's a hard nosed no BS kinda coach. And if he was willing to let Ricky back in, and show the kind of support he has shown, you have to think Ricky has made significant strides foward!

However, rules are rules. I suppose it depends on the nature of the substance and the factors surrounding how/when it was used (all the goodies we don't get to hear). That's what will determine his fate, not Saban's kind words...