[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Favre holdout is good for the Packers draft...

Super Twinky

Az,

I'm sure JJ knows this, considering that you, Swiss, myself & others have pointed this out to him several times now...but...he...just...can't...admit...it...

Give it up and leave him alone, or he might start  :D 

Anyway, trying to talk logically to him, is akin to :D

1440298[/snapback]

I'd like a Long Island Ice Tea please. :D

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like I was right. :D

GREEN BAY, Wis. - Packers general manager Ted Thompson said on the eve of new coach Mike McCarthy's first minicamp that it was a "miscalculation" when he waited a day before publicly confirming Brett Favre would return for his 15th season in Green Bay.

"I probably made a miscalculation about it," Thompson told about 50 journalists at the Wisconsin Associated Press Sports Editors meeting Thursday night. "He called me, he asked me about it. He said, 'I've waited this long, I can wait a little bit more.'"

The news that fans had been waiting for months to hear was first broken by unnamed sources, and the team didn't confirm Favre's choice until the following day, April 26. Thompson defended his decision not to make an immediate announcement after Favre gave him his decision. He said Favre was always a part of the team.

"Brett had never retired," he said. "He was on our team the whole spring. I felt it better it come from him, however he wanted to do it."

Thompson, who started working under former GM Ron Wolf in 1992, said his first season as general manager was tough on the entire organization as the team suffered injuries and setbacks in a 4-12 campaign _ the worst in Favre's tenure in Green Bay.

"As an organization, we had a rough year," he said. "I had a rough year, I didn't do as well as I should've done."

But Thompson said the only thing the organization can do now is pick itself up beginning Friday, and he would like to stay as general manager for the long haul.

"I would like to do this job well enough that people would want me to stay on," he said. "I can't imagine a better place to work."

John Jones, who will take over for Bob Harlan as Packers president on May 31, described Thompson as consistent and prepared, as shown during last weekend's NFL draft.

"He has been very steady. He is so thorough and prepared," he said. "Last Saturday is the most recent example _ from what we had to five picks on the first day."

Jones, who was a journalist for 13 years before joining the NFL, said the newest collective bargaining agreement helps keep the Packers profitable, and that the team will pay into the revenue sharing pool as one of the league's top 15 moneymaking teams.

Thompson said he's learned from the media, and that he believes the organization is getting closer to the "free flow of information" that is supposed to exist between the two.

But, he said he knows he's not immune to critics.

"I understood there would be criticism. I understand there would be people questioning what we do," he said. "It's a very competitive environment."

Thompson also cautioned that reporters occasionally jump the gun, especially on Favre's return.

"I got seven calls from our local guys, the very first question was, 'Is he just coming back for the one year or is it going to be two, or three or four?'" he said. "Sometimes you try to put the answer before there's a (question)."

Thompson said that he is excited about his first draft class, and that the New Orleans Saints were extremely close to picking linebacker A.J. Hawk before Reggie Bush fell to them with the No. 2 pick and the Packers took Hawk at No. 5.

How did he know?

"It's after the fact and there's no reason for people to lie anymore," Thompson said. "I heard it leading up to the draft that there was a huge debate in their room whether it should be Mario Williams or A.J. Hawk."

Favre was at Lambeau Field Thursday night, and Thompson said he believed the veteran signal caller would talk to the media on Friday.

"He wasn't dressed for this," Thompson deadpanned. "He was dressed for Brett."

Looks like I was right wrong.  :D 

1453591[/snapback]

Packers general manager Ted Thompson said on the eve of new coach Mike McCarthy's first minicamp that it was a "miscalculation" when he waited a day before publicly confirming Brett Favre would return for his 15th season in Green Bay.

The news that fans had been waiting for months to hear was first broken by unnamed sources, and the team didn't confirm Favre's choice until the following day, April 26.

Yeah, Thompson & the Pack knew about Favre's decision and kept it Super Duper Double Top Secret for 1(one) whole day.

Not quite what either you or PFT said. :D

Favre told the team a while ago that he wasn't going to retire but that they weren't allowed to make an offical announcement.  Those were his terms.  Now there has been confirmation to what PFT has been saying for a month

1438228[/snapback]

Looks like I was right. :D

GREEN BAY, Wis. - Packers general manager Ted Thompson said on the eve of new coach Mike McCarthy's first minicamp that it was a "miscalculation" when he waited a day before publicly confirming Brett Favre would return for his 15th season in Green Bay.

"I probably made a miscalculation about it," Thompson told about 50 journalists at the Wisconsin Associated Press Sports Editors meeting Thursday night. "He called me, he asked me about it. He said, 'I've waited this long, I can wait a little bit more.'"

The news that fans had been waiting for months to hear was first broken by unnamed sources, and the team didn't confirm Favre's choice until the following day, April 26. Thompson defended his decision not to make an immediate announcement after Favre gave him his decision. He said Favre was always a part of the team.

"Brett had never retired," he said. "He was on our team the whole spring. I felt it better it come from him, however he wanted to do it."

1453591[/snapback]

After the cat was out of the bag, it took them another day to confirm it. Thompson said, "He was on our team the whole spring. I felt it better it come from him, however he wanted to do it.":D

Edited by Jumpin Johnies

After the cat was out of the bag, it took them another day to confirm it.

1453740[/snapback]

Yep, took them a day to confirm it.

Not even close to what you or PFT said :D

Favre told the team a while ago that he wasn't going to retire but that they weren't allowed to make an offical announcement.  Those were his terms.  Now there has been confirmation to what PFT has been saying for a month

1438228[/snapback]

After the cat was out of the bag, it took them another day to confirm it.  Favre said,"'I've waited this long, I can wait a little bit more.'"  Thompson then said, "He was on our team the whole spring. I felt it better it come from him, however he wanted to do it.":D

1453740[/snapback]

What part of this do you not understand? BTW, did you ever make my drink?

I understand perfectly Jumpin Johnies.

But it seems that once again, your comprehension skills are a little off....OK make that a lot :D

1453935[/snapback]

They knew all along that Favre was back. It wasn't until various news sources started reporting on it that they decided to wait a day and confirm it. I see why you pour beers for a living. :D

Edited by Jumpin Johnies

They knew all along that Favre was back. It wasn't until various news sources started reporting on it that they decided to wait a day and confirm it. I see why you pour beers for a living.  :D

1454211[/snapback]

:D:D:D:D ::D:D

:D