[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ricky Williams Won His Appeal

Big Score 1

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:doah: Obviously you have no clue what I am talking about. 

Denver has now become the second city in the US to legalize Josh Gordon so that you can posses an oz. at one time.  Still not legal to smoke.

Second to who other then Oakland and Randy  :D

1437076[/snapback]

It's still banned by the NFL.

Dolphins | Williams loses appeal

Tue, 25 Apr 2006 16:10:31 -0700

Jason Cole, of the Miami Herald, reports Miami Dolphins RB Ricky Williams lost his appeal of a fourth violation of the NFL substance-abuse policy and will be suspended for one year, a according to a source. Williams was informed by the NFL Tuesday, April 25. Williams will now miss the entire 2006 season. He can apply for reinstatement after that.

Jason Cole, of the Miami Herald, reports Miami Dolphins RB Ricky Williams lost his appeal of a fourth violation of the NFL substance-abuse policy and will be suspended for one year, a according to a source. Williams was informed by the NFL Tuesday, April 25. Williams will now miss the entire 2006 season. He can apply for reinstatement after that.

1437246[/snapback]

That sounds a lot more credible than the rumor that got this post started ... What a waste. Well, if it's true, here's hoping he likes the holistic life in India ...

Edited by Donutrun Jellies

1437246[/snapback]

I edited the title to reflect this.

I thought that this was a nice read putting things in proper perspective on Ricky

I may be a minority of one today, but I can't help it: I feel sorry for Ricky Williams. There's no defending him. There's no saying he wasn't properly warned. There's no pretending after a fourth positive drug test that a year's suspension wasn't just the NFL's right but most likely its duty.

There's probably no real reason to feel badly for him, either, considering he goes around believing happiness is defined, "on the inside, not the outside." Just the other night, asked about what he thought about the NFL's pending decision, he said, "Right now, I'm happy. I've got gas in my car."

I still feel sorry for him. What Williams has done allows people to view him as a circus clown at best and a monumental loser at worst. No matter what Williams does with himself from here, this is his second season missed, and he'll be put up there with Dwight Gooden and Chris Washburn for wasted talent.

He'll be on the sporting Mount Rushmore of squandered careers with Mike Tyson, Darryl Strawberry and Len Bias, if you want to start a sports-talk debate. Sub in Steve Howe or David Thompson.

The big question with Williams is whether it was Josh Gordon again or just some herb, whether he fell off the wagon again or just didn't read the labels of his alternative diet.

It hardly matters, though. He'd used up all the goodwill chips a while back. And that's the sad part, because what he did last year was become one of the good stories, the really important lessons, in sports.

He showed you can have a second act. He showed with the proper frame of mind, and the right way of carrying yourself, you could turn the most negative into a nice positive. That doesn't mean you had to trust him or believe he was long for the Dolphins.

But you couldn't talk to Williams this past year and come away not liking him no matter how hard you tried. And I tried. I called him a fraud. I wrote for the Dolphins not to bring him back after he quit on them. On and on.

There wasn't any street-con in Williams. He didn't fit into the neat caricature, though you sure could present it that way after watching him put on his white shirt, white pants, white socks, white shoes -- all his clothes were white, the color of purity.

He didn't shave, at least until his NFL drug hearing. "Shaving is vain," he'd say, "and I'm trying to get all things vain out of my life."

He'd talk of being a vegetarian, of not watching television and reading books he'd pull out of his gym bag like Emotional Intelligence and The Synthesis of Yoga.

Weird? Sure he was from any locker-room parameter. But dumb? And mean-spirited? And socially hurtful in the manner most repeated drug-offenders are? That wasn't Williams.

In his quiet moments over the next year in the Australian tent, or Indian meditation room or holistic medicine class -- see, there's the easy caricature again -- Williams will see through his properly constructed defense mechanisms, too.

He'll know he blew it. Maybe not this time, considering no one but Williams really knows what he tested positive for. But in just getting to strike four.

The Dolphins lose a star, too. They're a lesser team today than yesterday. Williams contributed as much as anyone to the offensive firepower, such as the Dolphins had last year, and the fact he turned his career around went a long way to the Dolphins turning their season around.

But the plan wasn't for Ricky to be on the team next season. If you connect the dots, this whole drug-test business only became public so early because Saban was considering trading him to Denver, which called the league, which informed it that Williams had a fourth positive test, which was then leaked by someone in the Broncos to a Denver TV station.

So by draft day, the plan would have been for Saban to turn Williams into a draft pick. Or player. Or something. And no matter how bad the Dolphins feel today Williams has to feel worse.

Yes, he made his ashram and has to lie in it, or chant in it, or whatever. There's a line that your sins will find you out, and that's the case here. Williams' sin of irresponsibility wrecked one Dolphins season. Now he wrecks his career again.

He'll be 30 when he's eligible to play again. That's getting far ahead of the story of a guy who constructs his life around putting one foot in front of the other. But it's not so far ahead that you can't root for him.

Here's hoping his legacy won't be beside Gooden and Strawberry and Washburn and the athletes remembered for wasting talent.

Here's hoping he's the next Jennifer Capriati, someone else who everyone gave up on and returned a champion.

Dave Hyde can be reached at dhyde@sun-sentinel.com.