[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The writings on the wall?

PantherDave

I had some hopes for Shelton-big back at nearly 250lbs etc etc.. However, this kid may well be on the way to Hoovers back-up at FB(if has the skills to do that :D ) It does look like a RB will be snatched in round 1 bye the Panthers. Here is the part of the article from team reports.

The team's confidence in Eric Shelton, last year's second-round draft pick from Louisville, is shaky at best and privately some inside Bank of America Stadium wonder if he's a bust.

Shelton struggled to pick up defenses last year and coaches realized he was running too upright during training camp last year, both major problems, but still fixable. Shelton came up with a convenient "season-ending" injury (wink, wink) in the final preseason game and the team put him on injured reserve last year.

About a month later, Shelton declared himself at full health and said he could have contributed to the team. Shelton hit the weight room and has really bulked up, which could do him more harm than good.

So Carolina wasted the 2nd round pick from 05.  Ok.  :D

1438017[/snapback]

It's starting to look that way Sarge, ashame really, as the kid has the physique to play it seems-who knows?

Edited by PantherDave

Then again, it only proves how powerful and good this franchise really is-we can pick a bust in the 2nd round-put him on IR...and still make the PO and the NFC Championship game. Add to that the OS in FA the Panthers have had.....yeah, I'd say they can take the bust hit on Shelton rather easily it seems.

With them possbilby drafting a RB in the 1st, I Foster still the unquestioned starter?

1438064[/snapback]

At this point I'd say "yes", but then again he was pegged that way last year and SD got the starts. However, with the new contract and the $, I'd say he is the starter, and if they land White, he'll become the short yardage/GL back Fox wants to have.

I still can't figure out why they'd put him on IR if he was able to contribute. Did they really need a roster spot that badly? If so, how did they know how badly they needed it at the end of the preseason??

1438079[/snapback]

Good question, I think it was between him and Jamal Robertson/Robinson, as who would go to the PS, and stay on the 53 man roster. THey keep Jamal on the 53 man roster, put Shelton on IR, and perhaps saved a PS spot for a LB??? It was very fishy and I doubt we will ever know???

Good question, I think it was between him and Jamal Robertson/Robinson, as who would go to the PS, and stay on the 53 man roster. THey keep Jamal on the 53 man roster, put Shelton on IR, and perhaps saved a PS spot for a LB??? It was very fishy and I doubt we will ever know???

1438085[/snapback]

Hmm...that kinda makes sense, if they thought Robertson would help them more during the season. Either him or Shelton would have been nabbed off the PS, so they protected both of them -- Shelton on IR, Robertson on the active roster.

Edited by Swiss Cheezhead

Hmm...that kinda makes sense, if they thought Robertson would help them more during the season. Either him or Shelton would have been nabbed off the PS, so they protected both of them -- Shelton on IR, Robertson on the active roster.

1438088[/snapback]

They also wanted to keep Rod Smart as well(who they released this OS), so it was some fancy moves to keep RB's on the team, and give Shelton time to improve?

Then again, it only proves how powerful and good this franchise really is-we can pick a bust in the 2nd round-put him on IR...and still make the PO and the NFC Championship game.

1438065[/snapback]

Yeah, no other team has had a 2nd round bust and manged to overcome it.

They also wanted to keep Rod Smart as well(who they released this OS), so it was some fancy moves to keep RB's on the team, and give Shelton time to improve?

1438090[/snapback]

Well, my argument would be that Shelton could have improved much more with a little playing time toward the end of the year, but if it's between that and losing Robertson, I can understand their decision.

Well, my argument would be that Shelton could have improved much more with a little playing time toward the end of the year, but if it's between that and losing Robertson, I can understand their decision.

1438118[/snapback]

That's about as close to the truth as we may get, but I think we are close to right on, but he was apparently so "raw" that they were not going to play him, as the word outta Charlotte other that the up-right running style(which would have led to injury at this level) was his inability to pick up the blitz and read the D to find out where it was coming from, as your RB must be able to block and pick up the blitz. Delhomme would have been in jeproady with Shelton in the backfeild.