[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Homer Help with O-Lines.

Caveman_Nick

Okay folks...there has been lots of discussion recently about the success of different RBs for different reasons, and one of the things I keep seeing is the comment 'one of the league's best o-lines.

What does it take to get this label?

We are talking about Minnesota, Miami, Chicago, KC, Seattle, Denver, Indy, etc.. Are those the best?

Maybe some homers can add some eprspective on their individual teams and help the rest of us create o-line tiers.

I'll start:

The New England Patriots: The Patriots go into the 2006 season with Logan Mankins, Nick Kaczur, Dan Koppen, Matt Light, Stephen Neal, Russ Hochstien, Brandon Gorin, Gene Mruczkowsk, Ross Tucker, Nick Steitz, Jeff Roehl, Wesly Brit all under contract and at minimum on their practice squad.

The starters project to be Mankins, Kaczur, Koppen, Light, and Neal, with Gorin and Hochstein as the 2 primary back-ups. Kaczur/Gorin will probably be the only positional battle of note. The other 5 are their practice group.

It's a solid group. Light lost most of last season to injury, but if he rebounds he will excell after a nice rest for his body. Kaczur and Mankins filled in well as rookies, and if Light is healthy Kaczur will battle Gorin for the RT spot. Koppen has been solid at center, but lost the end of last season to injury.

The group is not one that has played together a long time, particularly with the injury situation last year, but it is a group that seems to constantly and steadily improve. I would not classify this line as a 'top line', but more of a 'workman' line that will just quietly and effeciently get the job done. They pass protect well enough for the quick routes the patriots like to throw and run block well. They are not great at extended protection for long, developing routes. This is one of the reasons that teams will see the Patriots run lots of multiple tight end sets. They like to and need to mix up their protection packages, and gamble somewhat regularly against where and whena defense will attack. Christian Fauria's release was probably due to his lack of blocking skill, and I would not be surprised to see the Pats spend another pick on a tight end this year to make up for that. Probably a later round, small school kind of guy.

Look for the Pats to pick up either a C or an OT in the draft, particularly in the first 4 rounds. They are well stacked at OG.

With respect to the Patriots running attack, the lack of effectiveness last year was a combination of injury issues, particularly losing Light and Koppen, and a lack of effectiveness with Corey Dillon. Patrick Pass ran well when he wasn't dropping the ball because his poor little hamstring hurt, as did Kevin Faulk when he wasn't trying to perfect the turnover handoff. If the Patriots add a back like Williams or White in the first, or trade for a guy like Thomas Jones they will have a dangerous rushing attack this year. I don't see Dillon being the beast he was in 2004 again.

The Panthers front five should be from left to right

Travelle Wharton-3rd year as a starter and 2nd season at LT should be improved, as he is a hard worker and see's room for improvement.

Mike Whale-nuff said-solid and nasty at LG

Jeff Hartwig-from what I've gleaned, he's one of the best in the league at C

Tutan Reyes/Evan Mathis-word is this could be a TC battle, but Mathis supposedly has a mean streak Reyes seems to lack at RG.

Jordan Gross-solid and can play LT or RT, played LT at Utah, but seems to fit better at RT in the NFL.

Panthers O line should be improved over last year.

The Panthers front five should be from left to right

Travelle Wharton-3rd year as a starter and 2nd season at LT should be improved, as he is a hard worker and see's room for improvement.

Mike Whale-nuff said-solid and nasty at LG

Jeff Hartwig-from what I've gleaned, he's one of the best in the league at C

Tutan Reyes/Evan Mathis-word is this could be a TC battle, but Mathis supposedly has a mean streak Reyes seems to lack at RG.

Jordan Gross-solid and can play LT or RT, played LT at Utah, but seems to fit better at RT in the NFL.

Panthers O line should be improved over last year.

1438026[/snapback]

JUSTIN Hartwig, not "Jeff". :D And I like Mathis a lot -- mean AND athletic.

Carolina's O-line could be phenomenal, especially if they grab a LT prospect on the first day -- and I would recommend that HIGHLY after seeing Wharton against the Bears last year. He played decently the rest of the year, but that was one of the worst performances by a LT I've ever seen.

Carolina's O-line could be phenomenal, especially if they grab a LT prospect on the first day -- and I would recommend that HIGHLY after seeing Wharton against the Bears last year. He played decently the rest of the year, but that was one of the worst performances by a LT I've ever seen.

1438134[/snapback]

Thanks, they got me on that one-Jeff Mitchell....Justin Hartwig..well I got the J right :doah:

1438134[/snapback]

He got better, and did much better in the PO vs the Bears. He even said after that game-"I've got work to do, I was outplayed today". He took it all on himself and he did get better. It's that work ethic that will make him a future All-Pro at LT.

Edited by PantherDave

He got better, and did much better in the PO vs the Bears. He even said after that game-"I've got work to do, I was outplayed today". He took it all on himself and he did get better. It's that work ethic that will make him a future All-Pro at LT.

1438154[/snapback]

I do respect that he improved after that game, but "future All-Pro"? I'd take 100-1 odds against that.

Bengals:

RT - Willie Anderson. ProBowler, and the best spokesman the Bengals have ever had. Hasn't missed a game in ~ 6+ years, despite knee probs. Contract up after this season (this will be repeated many times in this post), but unless he takes a lot less, very well may not be back.

RG - Bobbie Williams. Just re-signed to multi-year extension. Is a beast at 340 pounds. Great run blocker, has become good in pass blocking as well. Underrated when compared to bigger names on this line. Not the best in class, but very good lineman.

C - Richie Braham. Actually played for Bengals longer than Willie. Has been as big a help to Palmer as any other player. Contract is up after this season (I warned you), but he may retire anyway. Back up is already on team.

LG - Eric Steinbach. The steal of the draft in 2003 at the top of round 2, will be a ProBowler in the next couple years. Don't know if it will be for the Bengals though, because his contract is up after this season. He just doesn't seem like the type that will want to stay here for a little less, so I bet his agent wants him to play out the year and see what FA brings.

LT - Levi Jones. Should've been a ProBowler this year, but got the shaft (look at the big-name DE's on all the teams the Bengals played this year, and see how many of them got sacks against Levi). Alas, his contract is up after this season. I'm hoping he offers up a little in gratitude for the Bengals showing faith in him by drafting him amidst the mockery of Mel Kiper and ESPN. If that doesn't happen (long term deal for a little discount), I think the Bengals will franchise him next season.

The Bengals gave up among the fewest sacks in the league last year. Rudi set a franchise record in rushing for the second straight year. I'm not saying there aren't ANY better lines in the NFL, but I am saying there are very few.

You will never find an example of a great offense that doesn't include, nay, start with, a great offensive line. If the Bengals can sign one or two of their FAs next year (they won't sign all), and with ALL of the skill players (every dam! one of them!) already signed to long-term deals, this offense will be the premiere in the league over the next 5 seasons. Just my unbiased opinion!