[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Now Driver wants out of Green Bay

Big Score 1

I am aware of them, and said the surprise was that it was Driver ...

Money disparity + agents + leveredge = strange actions

1440465[/snapback]

ESPN commentators specifically said that Driver is only doing this because of a promise by Green Bay to re-do his contract, that is now not being honored!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Packers | Driver disgruntled over team's failure to redo contract

Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:47:01 -0700

Michael Smith, of ESPN.com, reports Green Bay Packers WR Donald Driver is mad that the team has not re-done his deal and wants to be traded or released.

GB sucks, we can all agree on that (as a city I mean, the team is obviously one of the best in the league historically speaking).  I can't blame players for wanting out of there.  I honestly don't know what they do there, there aren't any hot women around Green Bay and there aren't any cool areas of Green Bay. 

What I really don't get is why Favre has waited until now to say he's coming back.  He was waiting to see what kind of team he'd be returning to.  He knew Javon wanted out, his O line is still crappy, there weren't all that many signings, and now Driver wants out too.  I thought he wanted to see significant upgrades in order for him to return.  Makes no sense to me.

1440389[/snapback]

Let me get this straight, Driver wants more money and suddenly Vikings homers jump out of their slimy skins trashing the city. I've lived in both Minneaplois and GB and since you spend half your life in Minn. stuck in trafiic I far prefer Titletown.

Vikings fans are just pissed they can't have all Packers players on their team. Maybe that way they'd win a Supebowl, but I doubt it. :D

Let me get this straight, Driver wants more money....

1440721[/snapback]

Money is certainly a factor...no doubt Randall.

However, from the ESPN commentators comments, it is my understanding this is more about Driver wanting a promise made to him by the Packers organization, to be honored.

If the promise was made by Sherman I have to say this happens a lot in business. If so I think his timing is very bad.

1440765[/snapback]

ESPN commentators reported this was a promise made a couple of years ago, so yes, it had to have been made by Sherman.

However, in todays NFL, Coaching & Front Office turnover is not unusual. The fact of the matter is, a promise was made by the organization and unfortunately the individual making the promise is irrelevant.

Green Bay is simply not the most desirable NFL location, geographically speaking, and with Favre hanging it up after this season, the Pack cannot afford the rep of being an organization that welches on their promises.

Especially to a stand up player like Driver.

Thompson is between a rock & a hard place here.

By TOM SILVERSTEIN

tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com

Posted: Dec. 14, 2005

Behind the scenes, Driver's agent, Jordon Woy, has been engaged in talks with the Packers about the possibility of upgrading Driver's contract. Woy wouldn't divulge much about the discussions he's had with the Packers, but he did acknowledge that the door wasn't slammed in his face.

"There have been good conversations about Donald's future," Woy said.

As is his policy, general manager Ted Thompson would not comment on whether Driver's contract would be addressed in the off-season.

www.jsonline.com - Dec 14th 2005

Hmmm....... :D

ESPN commentators reported this was a promise made a couple of years ago, so yes, it had to have been made by Sherman.

However, in todays NFL, Coaching & Front Office turnover is not unusual. The fact of the matter is, a promise was made by the organization and unfortunately the individual making the promise is irrelevant.

Green Bay is simply not the most desirable NFL location, geographically speaking, and with Favre hanging it up after this season, the Pack cannot afford the rep of being an organization that welches on their promises.

Especially to a stand up player like Driver.

Thompson is between a rock & a hard place here.

1440829[/snapback]

If I were him I would address it based on merit, but then I would have done the same with Walker.

1440829[/snapback]

True dat. First Thompson fails to give Walker what he's worth after a Pro Bowl season (and a pretty good season prior to that) and now he's reneging on a promise that the organization made to Driver. But for some reason, he just threw $52.7 million at an overrated Charles Woodson.

Something tells me that Ted's dumber than a box of rocks. I feel sorry for Packers fans, because it looks like this idiot is going to run the organization into the ground.

True dat.  First Thompson fails to give Walker what he's worth after a Pro Bowl season (and a pretty good season prior to that) and now he's reneging on a promise that the organization made to Driver.  But for some reason, he just threw $52.7 million at an overrated Charles Woodson.

Something tells me that Ted's dumber than a box of rocks.  I feel sorry for Packers fans, because it looks like this idiot is going to run the organization into the ground.

1441072[/snapback]

Sure looks that way. Letting Wahle and Rivera go last year and his draft last year was pretty scary. This year he looked cheap until Woodosn and on that he got in and spent too late.

I can't say he's dumb, but some of his moves don't look very inspired.

Driver Refutes Report He's an Unhappy Packer

April 27, 2006 06:53 PM EDT 

According to sources, Donald Driver is refuting an ESPN report that he, like Javon Walker, is unhappy with his contract and wants to be traded or released.

Driver has two years left on a five-year, $11 million extension he signed in 2002. That deal included a four-million dollar signing bonus. Since then, Driver has been the Packers' number-one receiver, and it could be argued that he has outperformed the deal.

Driver and his agent were talking to the Packers about his contract last December. Sources close to Driver said Thursday he has no plans to hold out or make any demands of the team to rework his deal.

www.wbay.com

I'm now hearing rumors that Mike Smith of ESPN who originally "broke" the story, got his info from a source close to Walker.

Scuttlebutt is that the Walker camp played Smith for a fool and got media play going against the Pack.

Naughty, naughty, naughty Walker camp, if it's true that the leak came from them.

But really bad reporting by Smith & ESPN if they didn't first confirm Driver was unhappy by checking with...well checking with Driver.

• 2 weeks later...