[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Driver now disputing ESPN report

Big Score 1

Driver Refutes Report He's an Unhappy Packer

April 27, 2006 06:53 PM EDT 

According to sources, Donald Driver is refuting an ESPN report that he, like Javon Walker, is unhappy with his contract and wants to be traded or released.

Driver has two years left on a five-year, $11 million extension he signed in 2002. That deal included a four-million dollar signing bonus. Since then, Driver has been the Packers' number-one receiver, and it could be argued that he has outperformed the deal.

Driver and his agent were talking to the Packers about his contract last December. Sources close to Driver said Thursday he has no plans to hold out or make any demands of the team to rework his deal.

www.wbay.com

I'm now hearing rumors that Mike Smith of ESPN who originally "broke" the story, got his info from a source close to Walker.

Scuttlebutt is that the Walker camp played Smith for a fool and got media play going against the Pack.

Naughty, naughty, naughty Walker camp, if it's true that the leak came from them.

But really bad reporting by Smith & ESPN if they didn't first confirm Driver was unhappy by checking with...well checking with Driver.

I did pick up this little tid bit in my wanderings;

I also had a source that spoke to Driver about 2-3 weeks ago and said Driver had JUST HAD a meeting with TT about retiring as a Packer and Driver left the meeting VERY Disappointed and VERY FRUSTRATED.

No link, take it for whatever ya'll think it's worth.

I haven't seen an ESPN report, only what you guys said you heard on rdio.

Making demands doesn't sound like Driver. This report nelow(JSonline) sounds like he is being paid like a #2 WR, but is he a #2 now that Walker is demanding out? Now it looks like Walker may be the one trying to screw up the team even more.

"Three years into a contract he signed months before he became eligible for unrestricted free agency, Driver, 30, is being paid like a No. 2 receiver. Nineteen months after he signed his contract, teammate Robert Ferguson signed a similar five-year, $10.87 million deal, basically putting the two on par financially.

Driver, who ranks tied for ninth in the NFL with 71 receptions, 14th with 940 receiving yards and tied for 25th with five receiving touchdowns, said he would love it if the Packers would address his contract, especially in light of the recent escalation in receiver salaries around the NFL.

But he said he absolutely would not press the issue. And would not hold out next year.

"I'm not that type of person to make someone pull the trigger," said Driver, who has been to the Pro Bowl once. "I've never been that type of person. I wouldn't do that to someone. I think the biggest thing is I've done what I can do. I'm under contract.

"The Packers are going to have to say, 'You deserve it. Then let's give him a new deal.' Would I accept it, yes. But it's up to them."

But really bad reporting by Smith & ESPN if they didn't first confirm Driver was unhappy by checking with...well checking with Driver.

1441226[/snapback]

Calling Driver would be one of the first requirements for a real journalist.

Calling Driver would be one of the first requirements for a real journalist.

1441322[/snapback]

Or at least checking with his agent.

Really bush league reporting here. Or going for the hype story, which is still bush league reporting.

At best Smith & ESPN come off looking like rank amateurs on this one. :D

At worst, if they took at face value what someone from the Walker camp fed them, Smith & ESPN come off as :D