[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kiper--draft grades

Randall

Hey Big 10, ya said you were jumping ship to Carolina??

1446573[/snapback]

Yeah :D You always have to have a second team when you are a Lions fan. Carolina (my second fav after the kittys) is that team. :D

I have family in NC and have a ton of Carolina gear. By the way Willimas was an absolute steal in round 1. :D

Edited by BigTen

You really have no clue when it comes to the Lions roster.  That is fine if you dislike McCown and Kita but there is no way they take Leinart with the money they have tied up at QB and then have to worry about a guy that will probably want top 5 money.  Why tie all that money up now and screw yourself in the future money wise.  BAsh Millen all you want but I think that he did fine.  I am sure that Martz knows something about QB's and if he was not fine with what he has he would probably have made that understood.  I think they trust Martz's evaluations.

1446566[/snapback]

1) you really think it was martz' idea to pass on leinart/cutler and take ernie sims?

2) the fact that the lions have so much money tied up at QB, and their QBs are mcclown and klitna, is all the MORE reason to bash millen, dontcha think?

Pete Prisco's grades on CBS Sportsline were a little different - had A's, B's and C's ... I don't remember seeing an D's though.

Prisco grades the NFL Draft

1446593[/snapback]

Good analysis, but on the Lions Sims wsa their best and worst picks

Detroit Lions

Best pick: First-round pick Ernie Sims will be a star at linebacker. He has some concussion issues, but he's a great run-and-chase linebacker.

Worst pick: Sims. How could they pass up Matt Leinart? It makes no sense, no matter how good they think Sims will be.

Wouldn't want to hurt their fragile egos.  :D

1446615[/snapback]

Maybe Kiper remembers when he told Indianapolis-

Not picking Trent Dilfer is the reason the Colts will always be bad.

Their GM (Polian?) really got in his face "Who the hell is Mel Kiper Jr?"...

Oakland Raiders: GRADE C:

Safety Michael Huff and linebacker Thomas Howard will help the defense and safety Darnell Bing made sense in the fourth round. Weber State's Paul McQuistan will help the offensive line next season and Cornell guard Kevin Boothe was a solid pick. I didn't grade them high because they didn't address needs along the defensive line and at running back.

1445959[/snapback]

:D

What a joke, I don't think anyone in the world thuoght that was a need... Obveously DB and Oline were a much higher need, which they addressed great.

Kiper has no idea what he's talking about. Period.

Where's Mike Mayock's review?? :D

1) you really think it was martz' idea to pass on leinart/cutler and take ernie sims?

2) the fact that the lions have so much money tied up at QB, and their QBs are mcclown and klitna, is all the MORE reason to bash millen, dontcha think?

1446595[/snapback]

Point two, well taken. And yes I think that Matrz and Marinelli speak often about the O and the QB's. I think that Martz is OK with the QB situation they have. I find it hard to believe that Marinelli would have coaches on his staff and then ignore their opinions on where they think they stand with their players. Otherwise, why has assistants. The Lions have no starting LB that has played in 4 or more consecutive games! Sims had concussions but missed NO GAMES. We will agree to disagree, but they needed to take Sims and not the sexy pick of Leinart. And yes, I think that the Lions will be fine with Kitna and I do believe that McCown is a good prospect and will be a good QB for the Lions. I also heard that the Cardnials wanted Sims and would have taken him over Leinart if they had the choice.

Draft grades in general are stupid. You shouldn't be evaluating these teams as you have no clue how these guys will pan out. If you are gonna "grade" them, then grade whether or not they filled possible needs for their roster. You have to give around five years I think to see whether a guy is a bust or not.

Edited by Goopster24

Draft grades in general are stupid. You shouldn't be evaluating these teams as you have no clue how these guys will pan out.

1446707[/snapback]

i agree with that for the most part. you can't tell who had a really good draft until a couple years later, and you can't really second guess teams' talent evaluations until those valuations either pan out or don't. but what you CAN do is look at a team like the bills and say, objectively, that they were f'n idjuts. they took a guy at 8 that they could have easily had at 15...and the team at 15 was on the phone offering them that pick and 37. then they throw away MORE picks trading UP to take a guy in the late first who there's maybe a .01% chance would have been taken before their next pick. when you know for a FACT a team could get the same players and MORE picks, then it's easy to say they screwed the pooch and still be right even if whitner and mccargo end up being studs.

i agree with that for the most part.  you can't tell who had a really good draft until a couple years later, and you can't really second guess teams' talent evaluations until those valuations either pan out or don't.  but what you CAN do is look at a team like the bills and say, objectively, that they were f'n idjuts.  they took a guy at 8 that they could have easily had at 15...and the team at 15 was on the phone offering them that pick and 37.  then they throw away MORE picks trading UP to take a guy in the late first who there's maybe a .01% chance would have been taken before their next pick.  when you know for a FACT a team could get the same players and MORE picks, then it's easy to say they screwed the pooch and still be right even if whitner and mccargo end up being studs.

1446734[/snapback]

Or a team like the Bears that went with the best player and ignored needs for the most part.

Times Picayune also grades the draft

That is what I saw, he did not want to irritate casual fans of any teams.  And giving a "C" to the Bills after their serious reaches was rather generous to say the least.

1446000[/snapback]

Yes...I expected a D or F for the Bills. Kiper is a Sally.

You have to give around five years I think to see whether a guy is a bust or not.

1446707[/snapback]

No, you get a training camp to figure it out.

Edited by godtomsatan

Or a team like the Bears that went with the best player and ignored needs for the most part.

Times Picayune  also grades the draft

1446808[/snapback]

Well, I guess that means you missed the Carolina game where their secondary failed to show up and their kick return team didn't function well without Azumah. Two FA DB's and 3 more drafted fixed the MOST glaring problem on that team. To say they drafted in the same ballpark as the Bills is just plain silly.

It's not like a receiveing TE is a big part of their gameplan.

They had a solid, if unspectacular draft, and probably should have grabbed more than one OL, because they're set at Qb play for next year but the line hasn been healthy only 1 of the past 3 seasons.

Kiper is an idiot. :D

How Phily and New England don't get A's is beyond me. 

Sounds like he drank to much at the post draft party and didn't want to put any thought into it.

1446585[/snapback]

I was wondering when someone would point out that Kiper is an idiot!!! he should be :D

Maybe Kiper remembers when he told Indianapolis-

Not picking Trent Dilfer is the reason the Colts will always be bad.

Their GM (Polian?) really got in his face "Who the hell is Mel Kiper Jr?"...

1446624[/snapback]

I wonder what kind of team Mel Kiper would have if he was drafting the way he thought teams should be... :D:D:D

looks like Picayune wanted to go against the grain and give the Eagles a C-...

they said Gocong would have been available "5 picks later"...it was more like 8 or something...I think, but the Jet's already wanted him and belichick wanted him as well...

and then he says 5th round WR Jeremy Bloom is not the answer at WR.....NO CHIT...I thought he was drafted for special teams...and BTW, we drafted Avant...yet, I don't think he'll be great...he'll be an ideal slot WR....funny how he didn't mention the one picked a full round earlier..

this guy has no clue..