[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vikings Draft discussion

wcd480

1.17 Chad Greenway LB

2.16 Cedric Griffin DB

2.19 Ryan Cook C

2.32 Tavaris Jackson QB

4.30 Ray Edwards DE

5.17 Greg Blue S

Trades

MIN 3. & 3. for PIT 2.32

MIN 4.18 & 6.16 for 4.29 and five year veteran OG Artis Hicks

UDFA

Oliver Hoyte LB

Charles Gordon CB

Robert Cobb CB

Kyle McKenzie LB

Jayme Mitchell DE

Manase Hopoi DT

Steven Jackson FB

Wendell Mathis HB

Taurean Henderson HB

Barrick Nealy WR

Kyle Smith WR

Jason Carter WR

Hank Baskett WR

Albert Stinson OT

Jason Palermo C/G

Donald Penn OT

John Torp P

There you have it, the results O' the draft. I personally loved the Greenway selection, Griffin is a good one he impressed me in the Texas games that I saw last year. The Cook pick makes me wonder if there are lingering doubts about Birk's hip, although he could just be a project for the future or they could move him around. The pick of Jackson really puzzles me. I think they panicked a bit and pulled the trigger on an unnecessary trade for a guy that probably would we on the board quite a bit longer and who wasn't rated as well as several other QBs that went later. Edwards could be decent, sounds like he has always been an underachiever which is not something I like to hear. Blue sounds like a sleeper, someone who got lost in the shuffle of a deep safety class and could turn out to be a good pro. I was happy about the second trade, didn't sacrifice position too much in only moving down 11 spots and got a proven commodity that knows the system. Don't know much about all of the undrafted free agents.

talk amongst yourselves...

I was surprised they traded up to get Jackson. He was the next QB I hoped they would get after Clemons went off the board. But thought for sure he would be there for one of our 3rd round picks. But Houston had picks 3.1 and 3.2....and apparently they got word that Houston planned on taking Jackson with one of those two picks, so that's why they felt they needed to make a move up to get their guy.

I personally loved the Greenway selection, Griffin is a good one he impressed me in the Texas games that I saw last year.  The Cook pick makes me wonder if there are lingering doubts about Birk's hip, although he could just be a project for the future or they could move him around.  The pick of Jackson really puzzles me.  I think they panicked a bit and pulled the trigger on an unnecessary trade for a guy that probably would we on the board quite a bit longer and who wasn't rated as well as several other QBs that went later.  Edwards could be decent, sounds like he has always been an underachiever which is not something I like to hear.  Blue sounds like a sleeper, someone who got lost in the shuffle of a deep safety class and could turn out to be a good pro.  I was happy about the second trade, didn't sacrifice position too much in only moving down 11 spots and got a proven commodity that knows the system.  Don't know much about all of the undrafted free agents.

talk amongst yourselves...

1446417[/snapback]

Have to agree...Greenway, very solid, fills a need badly...

Griffin, good player, fills need from the vacated Brian Williams...

Cook, meh, could turn out to be solid but a definate project taken too early...

Jackson...doesn't do anything for me...only time will tell...

Edwards...hate to hear underacheiver, probably a back-up for 2-3 years and gone

Blue...decent pick, possible sleeper, hard hitter

overall grade: B-

hopefully a couple of UFA's turn out and contribute...one of the LB's will make the squad based on lack of depth at the position

Edited by alexgaddis

Have to agree...Greenway, very solid, fills a need badly...

Griffin, good player, fills need from the vacated Brian Williams...

Cook, meh, could turn out to be solid but a definate project taken too early...

Jackson...doesn't do anything for me...only time will tell...

Edwards...hate to hear underacheiver, probably a back-up for 2-3 years and gone

Blue...decent pick, possible sleeper, hard hitter

overall grade: B-

hopefully a couple of UFA's turn out and contribute...one of the LB's will make the squad based on lack of depth at the position

1446451[/snapback]

Don forget they got a starting guard

I was surprised they traded up to get Jackson. He was the next QB I hoped they would get after Clemons went off the board. But thought for sure he would be there for one of our 3rd round picks. But Houston had picks 3.1 and 3.2....and apparently they got word that Houston planned on taking Jackson with one of those two picks, so that's why they felt they needed to make a move up to get their guy.

1446433[/snapback]

I just haven't heard much about him until they drafted him, that and I was really hoping they would nab Whitehurst. I guess we will have to wait and see with a project. Dan Pastroni could probably do as well as McMahon did last year and he is sitting in the #2 spot right now, J.T. O'Sullivan is #3 and he has the look of a stiff. It could be a long year even with BJ starting, so here's hoping the old guy doesn't get hurt.

I don't have a problem at all with the players that were picked. I have a hugh problem though with trading our 3rd Round picks to move up to get Tammy Jackson.

First of all, the Jets out-maneuvered the Vikes in moving up to get Clemens. But let's pretend that Jackson is the QB that the Vikes wanted all along, and let's further pretend that Jackson was about to be picked by a bunch of other teams... they still could have avoided trading away their 3rd round, by simply taking Jackson at the 2.19 spot instead of Cook. Because, let's face it, Cook was not on anybody's radar screen that early in the draft.

Other than that rookie-like panic attack by the TOA, I think they did alright. Obviously Greenway is a monster pick that should prove to be a force on our Defense right away. That alone, makes this draft somewhat succesful even if you hate the rest of the picks (which I don't).

3 Viking's fans? That's it. :D

1446504[/snapback]

Four,

Chad Greenway LB - Great Pick was glad to see he made it to us.

Cedric Griffin DB - Still not sure I guess he can play some saftey as well.

Ryan Cook C - The dude is huge, maybe Birk isn't that heathy, or maybe they move him to tackle.

Tavaris Jackson QB - Never seen this guy play until I saw the clips after they drafted him. So i have no idea.

Ray Edwards DE - He's got a motor, we needed a backup this year.

Greg Blue S - More depth good pick.

After Greenway, I love the pickup of the new Guard from Phily.

Over all B-/C+

Was a bit surprised on the Jackson pick, but if they really liked him that much I'm glad they moved to get him.

Nice to see they picked up a veteran guard from Philly. Childress knows him and he is supposed to step right into the starting open guard position.

I expected more linebacker help in the 3rd round, but the Jackson trade killed that.

Overall I'm happier with this year's draft. Last year's Williamson pick still pisses me off. :D

Tavaris Jackson QB - Never seen this guy play until I saw the clips after they drafted him. So i have no idea.

1446563[/snapback]

Just in case you haven't seen Jackson before.

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/scp_v3/viewer...01475&ch=396337

Sorry bad link, but there is a clip of Jackson in there somewhere.

Edited by VikesGuy

Overall I'm happie with this year's draft.  Last year's Williamson pick still pisses me off.  :D

1446604[/snapback]

I think you will be happy with the Williamson pick after this year.

I really like the Greenway pick. Can't root against a former pig farmer who was a 9 man football player!!!! Kid had great character and was a "safe" pick.

Griffin is a guy who can play DB or Safety. He was part of a National Champ team. Supposed to be a big hitter and will fit the Tampa 2 defense scheme.

Cook is where the draft fell apart!! He would have been there in the 3rd or 4th round!! I would have loved to see them grab Abdul Hodge and team him back up with Greenway! OR trade down and pick up an extra pick OR as Savage mentioned take Jackson here. That being said the guy is huge and can play multiple positions. We need depth on the line.

Jackson-don't know much about him. I have read he reminds Childress of McNabb and he has a strong arm. He is a project and I don't think the Vikings have time to wait to develop a starting QB. Johnson has 1 good year, 2 at most. If he (BJ) gets hurt this year we are in big trouble!

Edwards was a suprise because he seemed to have character issues. Was an outstanding player early in his career but was benched half way through last season. Vikings have history of drafting underacheivng DE's (though usually in the first round!)

Blue could be a great find. He is a hard hitter and should be a special teams stud early on.

Hicks is a known quanity for Childress so I guess he should work out. I did not mind the trade as again we need depth on the line.

Overall I give the Vikings a C. Other than Greenway there is no player tht really makes you go "wow". It was a very vanilla draft that seemed to include a couple reaches.

I don't have a problem at all with the players that were picked.  I have a hugh problem though with trading our 3rd Round picks to move up to get Tammy Jackson.

First of all, the Jets out-maneuvered the Vikes in moving up to get Clemens.  But let's pretend that Jackson is the QB that the Vikes wanted all along, and let's further pretend that Jackson was about to be picked by a bunch of other teams... they still could have avoided trading away their 3rd round, by simply taking Jackson at the 2.19 spot instead of Cook.  Because, let's face it, Cook was not on anybody's radar screen that early in the draft.

Other than that rookie-like panic attack by the TOA, I think they did alright.  Obviously Greenway is a monster pick that should prove to be a force on our Defense right away.  That alone, makes this draft somewhat succesful even if you hate the rest of the picks (which I don't).

1446560[/snapback]

+1

Well said, Sav.

I was very disappointed after the Vikes didn't trade up for Leinart or Cutler so after that it was hard to get excited about the draft. The 2nd round picks of players many seemed to have ranked much lower along with a trade up for a QB ranked way off the charts of most so called experts and publications really reinforced being pissed they didn't trade up. Tar Jackson better be the second coming of Randall Cunningham! :D

Awesome to see Greenway fall to the Vikes. That's what I was hoping for.

I'm still curious if the Vikes wanted Kellen Clemons before the Jets swooped in. Either way, the Cedric Griffin is a great pick for the cover-2.

Ryan Cook I guess they really wanted a backup plan in case Birk goes down again. It's a pretty big plus that he's big and has a possibility to be moved.

Vikes simply had too many needs in this draft. I'm hoping it works out. But I was hoping for bigger things with the seconds and thirds.