[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brees vs Vick

spain

Its time again to re-visit one of the Huddles best known and hotly contested issues: Brees vs Vick. A couple years ago, we had HUGH debates on who would be the best NFL QB. Drees came out of Purdue the same year Vick came out of Va Tech. Both had very impressive college careers and we argued the topic of who would project best in the NFL. I was squarely in the Drew Brees camp and thought that Brees, although not as athletically gifted as Vick, would have a better career. Most Huddlers were just as convinced that Vick would change the QB position. I thought Vick was simply too dumb to play QB in the NFL. If you heard him speak coming out of college, you would realize how stupid he really is. Anyway who was right? Brees was finally given his shot 2 years ago and has played well. Vick has improved the Falcons, but was he really worth the 1st pick and is he a better pro than Brees? Who would you rather have if you were an NFL Gm?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was on the Brees bandwagon at the time too and someone laughed at the idea saying he had no arm strength...

I just thought he'd be a better QB as Vick reminded me of Cunningham..

1447794[/snapback]

Vick is not as good as Cunningham. Not even close.

Where are all you Huddlers that were in the Vick camp back then? Nobody admits it but most people thought Vick was better. I was one of the lone voices crying in the wilderness. But now none of you Vick lovers can be found.

Where are all you Huddlers that were in the Vick camp back then?  Nobody admits it but most people thought Vick was better.  I was one of the lone voices crying in the wilderness.  But now none of you Vick lovers can be found.

1447995[/snapback]

i'd take vick then and i'd take vick now. without even blinking.

I was on the Brees bandwagon at the time too and someone laughed at the idea saying he had no arm strength...

I just thought he'd be a better QB as Vick reminded me of Cunningham..

1447794[/snapback]

I've been a Brees bandwagoner for a long time, even defended him before he broke out the same way I defend Carr & Ramsey now. I think given the chance they could all be top notch QBs. I'm beginning to fade on Ramsey, but I still thing given the chance & put in the right situation he could flourish.

Vick is not as good as Cunningham.  Not even close.

1447969[/snapback]

:D Vick has got some slick moves for a QB & has a monster arm, but he can't read a defense for crap. The Falcons IMO made a huge mistake moving up to get Vick.

I've always said that Vick was an over-hyped "RB". He is about as dumb as a $3 dog turd and can't read coverage worth a crap.

I read somewhere on this board that they are watching old VT film to pull plays out of there because he is too stupid to know his own playbook after 3 years.

Vick is not a QB, should have never been drafted as a QB in the NFL and the only reason he is still playing is because he puts people in seats cuz they want to watch him scramble.

Horrible.

Edited by cliaz

I am willing to admit I was on the Vick bandwagon. He is insanely fast and has a very strong arm, but he doesn't "see" the field like the great ones do. I would take Brees over Vick now. I would also take Leinhart or Cutler over Vince Young.

Edit: And no it is not a race thing. McNabb would say it is though.

Edited by thecerwin

a year and a half ago, the "consensus" opinion of all us armchair hacks was that vick was one of the top 2 or 3 QBs in the game. now we all look at the same exact guy and call him a fraud. bunch of f'n bandwagon jumpers. part of that is the nature of vick's game...when he has a great game or season, he looks like a talent for the ages. when he has a bad game or season, he looks like a joke of an NFL QB. the reality is he's somewhere in between.

one thing's certain, NFL coaches and DC's sure as hell don't take him as lightly as the huddle henpeckers on their current anti-vick pendulum swing.

I would rate Vick higher than Brees. You can win football games with both of them, but neither is an elite QB nor a building block for a franchise. I give the edge to Vick just because of his ability to score on any given play. However, Vick was not worth the top selection, and Brees has been great value for a 2nd round pick.

PS. I wouldn't talk to Vick without a condom on.

Edited by trrhyne

I would rather have the healthy QB than the one with the Bum shoulder. With that torn rotator cuff we could see another Penington.

Depending on what you read and where, he could start the season, or he might not be ready. Even when he plays, he may never be the same.

Where are all you Huddlers that were in the Vick camp back then?  Nobody admits it but most people thought Vick was better.  I was one of the lone voices crying in the wilderness.  But now none of you Vick lovers can be found.

1447995[/snapback]

I remember a thread a couple years back, and also another last year. There were plenty of Vick deciples. You weren't the lone voice against Vick but, there certainly were more Vickettes out there. Vick is, and always will be a dumb as a stump. I said it before and I'll say it again, athletic ability will only take you so far.

I said it before and I'll say it again, athletic ability will only take you so far.

1448325[/snapback]

How about making millions in the NFL, Vicks athletic abilitly is far superior to that of Brees, you don't see the Falcons trading away Vick do ya.

Vick will be around in this league alot longer then Brees. You can teach a guy how to read a field, you can't teach him how to be dynamic.

Shouldn't any talk of Vick VS Brees include LT as well.

1448348[/snapback]

No.

Brees was taken with the Chargers existing 2.01 pick. Brees was not part of the Vick trade. That's one of those Urban Legends that will not die.

How about making millions in the NFL, Vicks athletic abilitly is far superior to that of Brees, you don't see the Falcons trading away Vick do ya.

Vick will be around in this league alot longer then Brees.  You can teach a guy how to read a field, you can't teach him how to be dynamic.

1448387[/snapback]

Not sure if you can teach a slow to read a defense...Young and Vick will suffer through too many mistakes to ever be great QB's...

now Tavaris Jackson on the other hand... :D

I've always said that Vick was an over-hyped "RB".  He is about as dumb as a $3 dog turd and can't read coverage worth a crap.

I read somewhere on this board that they are watching old VT film to pull plays out of there because he is too stupid to know his own playbook after 3 years.

Vick is not a QB, should have never been drafted as a QB in the NFL and the only reason he is still playing is because he puts people in seats cuz they want to watch him scramble.

Horrible.

1448047[/snapback]

Vick is an overglorified Kordell butt-f**king Stewart

They should let Matt Schaub play QB and put Vick in the "slash" role

"They should let Matt Schaub play QB and put Vick in the "slash" role."

I think Atlanta could be Superbowl contenders if they did this and their defense steps back up to where it was 2 years ago.