[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Govenator believes that...

Duchess Jack

GRAPEVINE, TEXAS — California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said Tuesday he wants the NFL to return to the Los Angeles area — with two teams.

After meeting with a group of NFL owners, Schwarzenegger said he was there to make sure "we're getting not only one NFL team to the Los Angeles area, Southern California, but to actually get two teams. That's why I came. Why limit it?"

NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue and a committee of 11 owners met to hear proposals from Los Angeles and Anaheim. Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and Anaheim Mayor Curt Pringle were there to make separate presentations but joined the governor for a joint session.

"There enough room and enough audience to have two teams," Schwarzenegger said. "We just have to all work together and make it happen."

Los Angeles, the nation's second-largest television market, has been without an NFL team since the Raiders and Rams both left after the 1994 season. When the NFL expanded in 2002, the new team went to Houston after Los Angeles leaders couldn't agree on a suitable site for the team.

Tagliabue, who is retiring in July, has long made it a priority to get a franchise back in Los Angeles.

The owners' committee, which includes Dan Rooney of the Pittsburgh Steelers, Jerry Jones of the Dallas Cowboys and Bob Kraft of the New England Patriots, planned to hear stadium proposals from the Anaheim and Los Angeles officials. The cost estimates of $800 million are considerably higher than previous price tags.

Anaheim's plan calls for a new facility near Angels Stadium, which was converted to a baseball-only complex after the Rams left. The NFL team and the Los Angeles Angels had shared the stadium.

The Los Angeles plan is to construct a stadium inside the existing Los Angeles Coliseum, home to the Rams from 1946-70 and the Raiders from 1982-94.

The NFL owners' group won't make any decisions on the proposals during their meeting at a Dallas-Fort Worth Airport hotel. Instead, the group will make a presentation at the league's spring meetings in Denver, scheduled May 22-24.

After Schwarzenegger and the two mayors emerged from a 10-minute meeting with the owners, the governor chatted in the hallway with Jones, the Cowboys' owner.

The governor returned to Los Angeles immediately afterward. The individual presentations by the cities were later in the day.

A friend of mine and I were talking about LA and a football team. We were thinking there were only 4 teams in the Pacific Time Zone. Look at the teams in the Eastern Time zone and where they are located. Audience has a lot to do with it. Would you like to get up and watch your team play after a long night of drinking at 10 am. Pregame at 8 or 9. I kinda made sense.

A friend of mine and I were talking about LA and a football team.  We were thinking there were only 4 teams in the Pacific Time Zone.  Look at the teams in the Eastern Time zone and where they are located.  Audience has a lot to do with it.  Would you like to get up and watch your team play after a long night of drinking at 10 am.  Pregame at 8 or 9.  I kinda made sense.

1448342[/snapback]

Football on the West Coast must kick ass.

I rather watch pregame all hung over than have to stay up till 12-1am on Mondays and Sundays.

Heck... football at 10am on a Sunday :D

Edited by Duchess Jack

A friend of mine and I were talking about LA and a football team.  We were thinking there were only 4 teams in the Pacific Time Zone.  Look at the teams in the Eastern Time zone and where they are located.  Audience has a lot to do with it.  Would you like to get up and watch your team play after a long night of drinking at 10 am.  Pregame at 8 or 9.  I kinda made sense.

1448342[/snapback]

Since Arizona does not use daylight savings time, they are on Pacific time the first part of the season.

I rather watch pregame all hung over than have to stay up till 12-1am on Mondays and Sundays.

1448362[/snapback]

Not a church goer huh? Just seems that we have it a little more convienent. Other than MNF.

something tells me that with two more televised games a week... its likely that we'll be seeing some more teams....

now... with a couple more expansion teams... does anyone think that a 16 team fantasy league will ultimately become the norm (over 12 teams?)

Not a church goer huh?  Just seems that we have it a little more convienent.  Other than MNF.

1448371[/snapback]

Growing up Catholic, this is what Saturday night mass was for.

I personally love getting up at 9, watching pregame and then games until about 9 pm and going to bed...

I hated being on the east coast and having to wait all day for a game to start, and then having to wait up till 1am or so to see the end..

If these are expansion teams added, there would be 5 teams in california...

Or would Raiders and Chargers move to fill the spot? Bills?

Would you like to get up and watch your team play after a long night of drinking at 10 am.  Pregame at 8 or 9.  I kinda made sense.

1448342[/snapback]

1448362[/snapback]

Not a church goer huh?  Just seems that we have it a little more convienent.  Other than MNF.

1448371[/snapback]

I personally love getting up at 9, watching pregame and then games until about 9 pm and going to bed...

I hated being on the east coast and having to wait all day for a game to start, and then having to wait up till 1am or so to see the end..

1448633[/snapback]

CST is the best of both worlds. KO at noon and finished not too late on SNF and MNF.

Yeah but you have to live in states like Kansas and Missouri.  :D

1448758[/snapback]

Hey :D:D

When the east and West coasts get covered by water after the ice all melts, I'll be sitting on real estate GOLD bahbay :D

34 teams would mean they would also expand the playoff!!! At least to 16 teams. Which would mean no 1st round byes! Not sure if that would be good or bad! 4 wild card teams might mean a sub 500 team makes the playoffs!!

34 teams would mean they would also expand the playoff!!!  At least to 16 teams.  Which would mean no 1st round byes!  Not sure if that would be good or bad!  4 wild card teams might mean a sub 500 team makes the playoffs!!

1448784[/snapback]

Getting too far ahead of yourself there. Any playoff expansion would go to 14 teams, and there is still alot of resistance to that idea.

Getting too far ahead of yourself there.  Any playoff expansion would go to 14 teams, and there is still alot of resistance to that idea.

1448793[/snapback]

Mr. Hunt will keep bringing it up every year until he passes.

Hey :D  :D

When the east and West coasts get covered by water after the ice all melts, I'll be sitting on real estate GOLD bahbay :D

1448783[/snapback]

Don't mind me, I'm just bitter because my wife is from Kansas and I get to spend a week+ of vacation there in the middle of winter every other year.

I would also have to guess that I sit higher above see level than anywhere in Kansas. Really tall hill in Kansas=10 ft... mountain=100ft.

Edited by NoSupe4You

I've heard a little more about this lately out here. Apparently, two of the owners wren't happy with the new CBA and feel they're going to get pinched: Cinci and Buffalo. They see the LA area as a place to obviously make more money but they might not realize how fickle this area is with football teams.

The other money says the saints in a few years, because they are selling tickets at what $14.00 this year to keep the stadium full? I'll always preface this topic with NOT trying to pick scabs here, BUT given the population loss it stands to reason that in 2 or 3 seasons they'll be forced out through simple economics, but the NFL can't have the appearance of pulling up stakes right away. Honestly, i hope I'm wrong about the Saints cuz the city doesn't deserve it.

But YES, the top part of my post is saying that Cinci and Buffalo are candidates. Before you say no way to either team remember the Cleveland Browns.

Expansion would be suicide. They JUST got everything finally worked out. Unless they are comitted to adding 8 teams, they shouldn't add any.

BTW, I'm with spain. LA had its chance and barely batted an eye when they lost both teams.

Peace

policy

BTW, I'm with spain.  LA had its chance and barely batted an eye when they lost both teams.

1449105[/snapback]

Agree. It's obvious to any casual observer that the people of LA don't give a rats ass about having an NFL team there, never mind two.

Agree.  It's obvious to any casual observer that the people of LA don't give a rats ass about having an NFL team there, never mind two.

1449139[/snapback]

:D Is that why they moved the Cleveland Browns?

And would you be sad if the Rayders and their thug fans packed up and left?