[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So, at what point do the Lions Players......

PantherDave

..either accept Marinelli or hate his guts, because ya get the feeling it's going to be more "boot camp" than "training camp", as all the rumors and what not seem to point that he is gonna be super detail orienated and very much to the book. As said over the weekend on NFL Live-perhaps it's exactly what the doctor ordered, but these are not high school kids or college kids for that matter-should be interesting to follow nonehteless.

Remember how the G-men first reacted to Tom Coughlin? If they start winning

they may learn to respect and follow him more. That's a big IF though.

1448927[/snapback]

Very good point-only time will tell, plus Coughlin came in with HC exp ala BC and Jax, where he got to PO and AFC Championships-this guy has done squat.

Yes, I'd read some of Big 10's post, and knew the possible hint of dissention was already in the air, just wondering at what point it runs smooth or throws a rod in the Motor City.

1448969[/snapback]

A couple wins to start the season would do wonders. A couple losses and the

sh*t could hit the fan. We'll see in September.

I honestly think it will depend on what the players' perceptions of Marinelli having more direct say on the team than Millen. In other words, if they knwo Marinelli can stand up to Millen and tell him to take a hike when necessary they'll be ok.

if they see him as a Millen shill, then the problem won't be solved.

Well, everything I've heard so far has been just the opposite. Players love the enthusiasm of the new staff. There will be a couple guys who grumble because they liked it on Easy Street, but that will be over quickly, especially once they start winning. I think all three of the new head coaches command an incredible amount of respect, just with their presence and passion and attention to detail.

I don't have time to go find the quote, but Roy Williams was talking about how much the atmosphere around the facility has changed. Guys are sticking around, working out, playing basketball, hanging out in the coaches' offices and in the wieght room, sticking around until they turn out the lights. He said last year, many guys wouldn't even shower after practice, they'd just grab their stuff in silence and go home. I think this coaching staff has already really really changed the atmosphere for the better.

Peace

policy

Well, everything I've heard so far has been just the opposite.  Players love the enthusiasm of the new staff.  There will be a couple guys who grumble because they liked it on Easy Street, but that will be over quickly, especially once they start winning.  I think all three of the new head coaches command an incredible amount of respect, just with their presence and passion and attention to detail.

I don't have time to go find the quote, but Roy Williams was talking about how much the atmosphere around the facility has changed.  Guys are sticking around, working out, playing basketball, hanging out in the coaches' offices and in the wieght room, sticking around until they turn out the lights.  He said last year, many guys wouldn't even shower after practice, they'd just grab their stuff in silence and go home.  I think this coaching staff has already really really changed the atmosphere for the better.

Peace

policy

1449136[/snapback]

It really makes you wonder if ESPN just makes this stuff up sometimes, because as you say, that's the polar opposite of the atmosphere they projected pretty much all weekend on NFL Live and Cold Pizza.

Well, everything I've heard so far has been just the opposite.  Players love the enthusiasm of the new staff.  There will be a couple guys who grumble because they liked it on Easy Street, but that will be over quickly, especially once they start winning.  I think all three of the new head coaches command an incredible amount of respect, just with their presence and passion and attention to detail.

I don't have time to go find the quote, but Roy Williams was talking about how much the atmosphere around the facility has changed.  Guys are sticking around, working out, playing basketball, hanging out in the coaches' offices and in the wieght room, sticking around until they turn out the lights.  He said last year, many guys wouldn't even shower after practice, they'd just grab their stuff in silence and go home.  I think this coaching staff has already really really changed the atmosphere for the better.

Peace

policy

1449136[/snapback]

Pretty much the impression I got as well. Have to remember, Marinelli is also a good motivator, not just a task master. He'll get em all to do the right way, which is exactly whats needed. Every Sunday we could tell they were coached far too soft, and some were complacent most the games. Mariuccis(not gonna even try to correct right this time of night) style of fresh legs, soft practices with no pads definitley did us no good, and it was obvious.

If they want to become better players, a better team, they'll get on board, if not, show em the door. All 3 new coaches are exactly what we needed. Hope the players listen.

My assumption is that the Lions suffer one more year of typical Lions win-loss ratio (possibly one or two more wins than usual). Most teams struggle the first year of bringing in a new coach, and especially when it appears the coach might be changing the entire atmosphere of what the players are used to. But come 2007 (and hopefully the addition of a REAL starting QB) the Lions will begin to climb up the ranks and become a dominant NFL team. Then, about two or three years from now the Lions should actually be a playoff contender aiming for the Superbowl. This could happen as early as 2007 IMO.

Just wait for Roy Williams to explode into the powerhouse WR he really is. :D

..either accept Marinelli or hate his guts, because ya get the feeling it's going to be more "boot camp" than "training camp", as all the rumors and what not seem to point that he is gonna be super detail orienated and very much to the book. As said over the weekend on NFL Live-perhaps it's exactly what the doctor ordered, but these are not high school kids or college kids for that matter-should be interesting to follow nonehteless.

1448876[/snapback]

I think things are different with Marinelli. Reason being is that although he is demanding, he is not creating stupid, pointless rules like B. Ross did or allowing the rats to run the ship like Mooch did (no rules, ala Mike Williams missing so many meetings as a rookie). He is demanind and expects attention to detail but there is a reson behind it. He believes that if you do it in practice, you will do it in a game. I am hearing, like Policy, that many players are buying into coach's philosophy and are starting to see that he wants to win and change this franchise away from their pathetic history. Yeah, some guys are bucking the system and some guys are taking a wait and see approach. However, most are willing to turst Rod. Yeah there was a "bump in the road" with Henderson and S. Rogers but it looks like coach's point was taken and Rogers responded very well. The other different thing I am hearing is that the entire staff is on the same page so their is no one that a player can go to to cry or bit@h to. They all feel that this team needs dicipline and teaching and will stick together to get the team where it nneds to go! :fingerscrossed:

According to sources close to the situation, the Detroit Lions will lose two Organized Team Activities practices during the off-season because they were in violation of minicamp rules. A couple of Lions players filed the grievance against head coach Rod Marinelli because they believed the minicamp practices were too physical.

www.mlive.com

Well, when I saw the guy give the interveiw on ESPN during the draft I was :D that little SOB is really going to rub some of these guy's the wrong way. I've heard all the positives about the new hire listed, but I think it gets worse before it gets better-they flat out quit on Mooch(a supposed "players" coach), and I just see Marinelli really just being to hard line, not knowing when to back off, because he has no HC experience what so ever and with no resume and no NFL wins or PO app-why should that generate instant respect??? He will have to earn the right to be a hard-ass at this level, and frankly, signing on the dotted line as the Lions new HC just does not carry alot of weight, heck, most the veterans most lilkely feel they know the game better than he does at this point-only time will tell, but ya know my impression- ya better back off a little to start the show.

Well, when I saw the guy give the interveiw on ESPN during the draft I was :D that little SOB is really going to rub some of these guy's the wrong way. I've heard all the positives about the new hire listed, but I think it gets worse before it gets better-they flat out quit on Mooch(a supposed "players" coach), and I just see Marinelli really just being to hard line, not knowing when to back off, because he has no HC experience what so ever and with no resume and no NFL wins or PO app-why should that generate instant respect??? He will have to earn the right to be a hard-ass at this level, and frankly, signing on the dotted line as the Lions new HC just does not carry alot of weight, heck, most the veterans most lilkely feel they know the game better than he does at this point-only time will tell, but ya know my impression- ya better back off a little to start the show.

1454774[/snapback]

Good call initially PD and good post now. :D

Plus, the new OC-Martz, from what Holt was saying over the weekend-sheez. The play book sounds like it's about three phone books thick-Wow!!!

1449001[/snapback]

He said there were 60 red zone plays and each had to be run perfectly.

The up tempo practicing they are complaining about is part of what Martz teaches as well.