[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Any sushi fans?

BigMikeinNY

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry if I offended the sushi lovers. I assumed you could post your own thoughts on the subject especially since there was a question asked in the Subject Title, "Any Sushi Lovers". This IMO implies I could answer yes or no and make comment. I attempted to be a little light hearted about it when I made the comment about "eating someone else before I ate raw fish" but I guess that did not go well. I will work on my jokes. Anyways, enjoy your sushi but as for me, I will eat my fish cooked.

I am sorry if I offended the sushi lovers. I assumed you could post your own thoughts on the subject especially since there was a question asked in the Subject Title, "Any Sushi Lovers". This IMO implies I could answer yes or no and make comment. I attempted to be a little light hearted about it when I made the comment about "eating someone else before I ate raw fish" but I guess that did not go well. I will work on my jokes. Anyways, enjoy your sushi but as for me, I will eat my fish cooked.

I am just busting your balls Joe! :D Seriously, go try a California roll or some other non-threatening roll. You dont have to start with sushimi, which is what you are thinking of when you think "sushi". If you dont like it, then thats fine. But why deprive yourself of a type of food that millions swear by, just becuase you have never tried it and dont know if you will like it or not?

Why you trying to get me fired up this morning. Its bad enough I have to come to work today after thinking July 4 was on a Monday :D I guess when I get home I will have to kick the dog or something. Shoot, maybe I'll go kick a co-worker instead. But one final point. Ain't no way I trying the stuff. Sorry.

Never have tried sushi but would like to try it. I'm pretty open minded with food and will try anything at least once.

I like all kinds of fish and seafood including raw oysters.

So having never been to a sushi bar / restaurant what should I try first?? Its probably good to start with something "non-threatening" or universally liked first before moving up to some of the more "hardcore" dishes.

Any serious advice welcome. :D

Next time you come through, you guys need to stay with us in Nashville instead of stopping in Jackson. We will give you alot nicer place to stay than the "Put It Inn" over in Jackson. And we will take you out for a real meal in NashVegas! We would love to have you guys stay with us. Just let me know when!

Deal. :D

Never have tried sushi but would like to try it. I'm pretty open minded with food and will try anything at least once.

I like all kinds of fish and seafood including raw oysters.

So having never been to a sushi bar / restaurant what should I try first?? Its probably good to start with something "non-threatening" or universally liked first before moving up to some of the more "hardcore" dishes.

Any serious advice welcome. :D

anybody???

:D

anybody???

This isn't the way I did it, but start with rolls with cooked fish: Spider Roll, Tempura Shrimp, Eel...just a few basics. You're not getting into the raw stuff, but you're getting the general idea.

From there...shrimp or Crab nigiri. Cooked...no problem.

From there: Maguro (Ahi Tuna). Maybe a bit of a leap but its my favorite by far and typing all this was making me hungry. Also, if you have ever grilled Ahi and left the middle very rare as it should be, you were halfway there. Or, if you have ever been to Hawaii and had Ahi Poke...you're mostly there.

From there, just start ordering. Its tough to go wrong with Maguro, Salmon, Hamachi.

I'm not a huge mackerel fan....or squid, but I do like octopus.

Dinner tonight for me and the missus: 2 spicy tuna rolls, 2 crunch rolls (avocado, crab and tempura crumbs), 1 Phoenix roll (salmon, tuna and cream cheese fried in tempura batter), 1 Tiger Eye Roll (smoked salmon, cream cheese and jalapeno in soybean paper) and 2 unagi. :D

This isn't the way I did it, but start with rolls with cooked fish: Spider Roll, Tempura Shrimp, Eel...just a few basics. You're not getting into the raw stuff, but you're getting the general idea.

From there...shrimp or Crab nigiri. Cooked...no problem.

From there: Maguro (Ahi Tuna). Maybe a bit of a leap but its my favorite by far and typing all this was making me hungry. Also, if you have ever grilled Ahi and left the middle very rare as it should be, you were halfway there. Or, if you have ever been to Hawaii and had Ahi Poke...you're mostly there.

From there, just start ordering. Its tough to go wrong with Maguro, Salmon, Hamachi.

I'm not a huge mackerel fan....or squid, but I do like octopus.

I have been eating sushi a long time. These days I get sashimi which is just slices of raw fish (hold the rice). If I want rice, I ask for a bowl. I always get miso soup and a small hot sake.

In a large sushi restaraunt, the head sushi chef is in the middle of the row of chefs. I have been known to wait to be seated in his section. I may order one thing on my own to get started and then just request that the chef select whatever he would want to make. He will pick the best cuts and make things you may not have seen before. It's a lot of fun.

I usually spend about $25 to $30 on lunch. A friend and I spent $180 one night at a top sushi bar.

Hell no, the only fish I eat is carp and catfish and it's fried.

I love catfish! I dont mean I like catfish, I mean a crave it like nothing else. It is definitely one of my favorite foods. My wife is from Chicago and just doesnt get the whole deep fried catfish, hush puppies, beans(white or pinto), corn bread, cole slaw, french fries, and sweet tea thing. I would probably request that as my last meal on death row and she wouldnt eat it if she was starving to death. I love me some catfish!

Carp is a definite no no! Unless you enjoy veins and bones and bad taste. I would advise you to avoid carp at all costs, even if you do like soul food.

I love catfish! I dont mean I like catfish, I mean a crave it like nothing else. It is definitely one of my favorite foods. My wife is from Chicago and just doesnt get the whole deep fried catfish, hush puppies, beans(white or pinto), corn bread, cole slaw, french fries, and sweet tea thing. I would probably request that as my last meal on death row and she wouldnt eat it if she was starving to death. I love me some catfish!

How old is your wife? 15? :D:D

Do you know Sakura in Jackson? :D

I ate at Sakura's last night for dinner on my way home from Memphis. I have to give that place a big thumbs up! The Sushimi wasnt that great but I had a philadelphia roll and something they called a "Bubba roll". The Bubba roll was argueably the best roll I have ever eaten. It was off the charts! I will be stopping there on a regular basis now that I am travelling to Memphis every week or so. Thanks for the heads up Dave!

• 3 weeks later...

Joe, you are a tool. You come into an "I Love Sushi" thread saying how sushi sucks. Then you admit that you have never even tried it. And you wont try it even in light of the fact that dozens of us in this thread are addicted to it. How old are you? 15?

For the uninitiated sushi eater, the idea of "raw fish" is scary. Try a rolled sushi, like California roll or spicy tuna roll. They are both delicious. Even the kind you get in the supermarket is pretty tasty. Dip each piece in soy sauce and try a tiny bit of wasabi with it. Try the shaved ginger that comes with it. Delicious. I could eat sushi every day.

Once you try the rolls and like them, you can go with the other kinds which often have a chunk of fish on top of a compressed block of rice. I think this is called Nigiri. Good stuff. When I lived in Atlanta there was a place called Ru San that had a bunch of exotic kinds of sushis, some were rolls but fatter and they were deep fried. Sounds nasty but they were really good.

• 2 weeks later...

if you are in the TriState Area you should make a visit to POD in philly LINK

if you click the link and take the Restaurant Tour...you will see one of the "PODS" and their are colored discs on the wall...if you press a color it changes the lighting in your pod to that color

I also heard Morimoto is good, but rather expensive.

I make my own. I found a seafood supplier than can get us fresh sushi grade tuna, salmon, yellowtail, and other delectibles if we call ahead. The problem is that 1/3 lb of tuna makes a lot of sushi with a fair bit of maki (spicy tuna) as well. So I only make it if I'm having people over.

• 3 weeks later...

I went on a 3 week vacation last year to Hong Kong, Shanghai, Tokyo and Kyoto.

I liked the sushi best in Hong Kong!! (The fish was flown in but more western style Sushi)

Kyoto and Tokyo were both good but so damn $$. I'm not sure I hit the best places while in Japan. It was good but I still think NY and LA sushi is just as good.

I'll tell you this, traditional Japanese food is crazy and anything you eat in the sticks in China is way, way crazy!!!

One of my friends started this company on the side. Its a good starter kit to learn how to make your own. Way cheaper and fun too.

http://www.sushipartybox.com/