[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who wins the Detroit QB battle?

revhookem

Any Detroit homers - or anyone else - have inside info on who the Lions are thinking is the starter from the duo? Since they passed on grabbing a QB in the draft, are they thinking McCown is the starter of the future? With Martz overseeing the O, and with some great receiving weapons, whoever wins that job looks to become instantly fantasy-worthy.

This is only a guess, as I have not heard anything solid, but from what little info we get, I think for now Kitna will start, and McCown will be backup. I do not think anyone will truly know til training camp, and after pre-season. They will battle it out. My guess is Kitna for a year or so, then McCown taking over.

From what little I've seen of Orlovsky, I think he a great chance of entering the mix, esp for the future. Seems to have all the intangibles, and plays smart, as a rookie he didn't look nearly as lost as Joey Hairball, with 3 yrs advantage in the west coast offense. JMHO

Any Detroit homers - or anyone else - have inside info on who the Lions are thinking is the starter from the duo?  Since they passed on grabbing a QB in the draft, are they thinking McCown is the starter of the future?  With Martz overseeing the O, and with some great receiving weapons, whoever wins that job looks to become instantly fantasy-worthy.

1449794[/snapback]

Woah! Don't jump the gun here... :D:D

It would be more realistic to say, whoever wins the job looks to become instantly fantasy-worthy as a backup QB, but starter? C'mon. These guys were backup QB's for a reason. Now, on the other hand, I do have faith that maybe Martz is good enough to turn these guys into better QB's than before; but you can't forget that these guys are no more than average QB's. They possess about as much, most likely less, talant as Harrington does. So it's up to Martz now. Let's see what this guy can do! :D

The idea is that Kitna is the definite "okay" guy--he's signed for four years. McCown is a high-risk high-reward gamble, signed for only two years. They'd love for McCown to light it up and take the job from Kitna, but if he doesn't, then next year they'll draft or sign a new starter and cut Kitna loose.

Peace

policy

Hearing that Kitna will probably be the guy to start and that they would like to groom McCown to be the future guy. I like both guys and think that McCown will be a good QB here. If neither of these two guys can get it done with Martz's help, we will never have a good QB in D-Town.

Woah! Don't jump the gun here...  :D  :D

It would be more realistic to say, whoever wins the job looks to become instantly fantasy-worthy as a backup QB, but starter? C'mon. These guys were backup QB's for a reason. Now, on the other hand, I do have faith that maybe Martz is good enough to turn these guys into better QB's than before; but you can't forget that these guys are no more than average QB's. They possess about as much, most likely less, talant as Harrington does. So it's up to Martz now. Let's see what this guy can do!  :D

1449895[/snapback]

I didn't mean they would become instant fantasy studs... but that they would at least be worth owning. And I also think that mediocre QBs can be good fantasy QBs in the right system (such as a Martz system) - esp in leagues like mine which puts much more value on yardage than on scoring & turnovers. Likewise, very good real-life QBs can be only mediocre fantasy QBs (see Troy Aikman).

i think it plays out like this...klitna will start, be mediocre leading the lions to like a 3-6 record, then they'll put in mcclown and he'll bomb. then they draft brady quinn with the #1 pick next year.

either that, or the new coaching improves the team enough that they go 8-8 or so behind klitna.

i think it plays out like this...klitna will start, be mediocre leading the lions to like a 3-6 record, then they'll put in mcclown and he'll bomb.  then they draft brady quinn with the #1 pick next year.

1450350[/snapback]

Brady Quinn = overrated.

Edited by Goopster24

Jon Kitna threw for 26 touchdowns in his last season (2003) as a starter and the only reason he lost the job is because Carson Palmer was the first overall pick in the 2003 draft and was given the job in 2004. Kitna is a good QB and maybe a very good QB in the right system.

In 2004, McCown started 13 games for the Cards and only managed to throw 11 TD's against 10 INT. He had two monster games last year, both at home, against SF and CAR. He also stunk it up against TEN and at DAL.

I will be very surprised if anyone besides Kitna starts this season.

Don't be surprised if Orlovsky wins the starting job in camp. This kid was a winner everywhere he played (ok, so High School and College). He's big, strong and smart. With Martz over there, he could bring out the best in him and make him a star.

Don't be surprised if Orlovsky wins the starting job in camp. This kid was a winner everywhere he played (ok, so High School and College).  He's big, strong and smart. With Martz over there, he could bring out the best in him and make him a star.

1450379[/snapback]

I loved watching this guy in college and was surprised he didn't get drafted higher. I wanted to see more of him last year. I couldn't imagine this guy starting with the job though. Bringing in Kitna and McCown definitely said and means something.

Don't be surprised if Orlovsky wins the starting job in camp. This kid was a winner everywhere he played (ok, so High School and College).  He's big, strong and smart. With Martz over there, he could bring out the best in him and make him a star.

1450379[/snapback]

That's not happening. Maybe by the end of the year or next year but not after camp, not even close.

Brady Quinn = overrated.

1450352[/snapback]

:D Glad we got that out of the way now.

I have a hunch that a bunch more people will be saying the same thing next March/April.

Oh wait -- that happens to every highly touted college QB. At least Goopster can say he was first! :D

Big size, huge and accurate arm, team leader, groomed by the king of offense Charlie Weis... I don't know about overrated...

1450400[/snapback]

What did he do before Weis came? Nothing. He'd be lucky to get a offesnive coordinator that has even half the brain of Weis. I think Brady has done great, no one can deny that. I don't think though that his game translates to the NFL.

Watching what Kitna did in the first year of Marvin Lewis was really impressive - for fantasy numbers. He was on a roll back in 2003, which coincided with Chad Johnson's elite-WR status year. With a healthy Roy and Martz calling the shots, it could be a very good FANTASY year IMO.

As far as W-L, who the hell knows? Unfortunately, Kitna will not win a game by himself and is not a long-term answer for Detroit. There's a reason good coaches like Holmgren and Lewis replaced him with Hasselbeck and Palmer. However, I would not be surprised if, at the end of the year, he is a top 10 fantasy QB.

Martz has said several times in his career that accuracy is the most important quality for QBs in his system. Kitna is slightly better than McCown in that area (1% better career completion percentage), so I'd imagine Kitna will win the job in TC and go into the season as the starter.

That said, Leinart seemed like a perfect fit for Martz's system and they passed on him. That would indicate they have confidence in McCown as the future starter. I certainly wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if he takes the job from Kitna early in the year.

then they draft brady quinn with the #1 pick next year.

1450350[/snapback]

Brady Quinn = overrated.

1450352[/snapback]

Big size, huge and accurate arm, team leader, groomed by the king of offense Charlie Weis... I don't know about overrated...

1450400[/snapback]

Either way it's the Browns that will be taking him with the #1 overall pick next year. :D

Don't be surprised if Orlovsky wins the starting job in camp.

1450379[/snapback]

:D

Okay, he's got good size and a good arm, but watching him play in mop up duty at the end of the Thanksgiving game was like watching the "can you QB an NFL team?" epsiode of Pros vs. Joes.

I appreciate that he's from your area and all, but I'd need to see a LOT more out of him to think he'll ever be capable of starting at the NFL level, let alone beating out two veteran free agents just brought in.

Peace

policy

i think it plays out like this...klitna will start, be mediocre leading the lions to like a 3-6 record, then they'll put in mcclown and he'll bomb.  then they draft brady quinn with the #1 pick next year.

either that, or the new coaching improves the team enough that they go 8-8 or so behind klitna.

1450350[/snapback]

This wouldn't surprise me in the least. I don't think that Kitna or McCown is the answer.

Its too bad that the Lions couldn't have picked up someone like Matt Leinart in the draft. :D

Kitna should start, and IMO is by far the best QB on my Lions roster.

That being said, he does not have much mobility and at his age behind the line he is behind I would be suprised to see him play more than 11 games for us next year, he is bound to get knocked out or just taken out to see what McCown can do.

I was very dissappointed we passed on Ngata, but at least we stayed on the defensive side of the ball, if we would of took a QB there it would of tested my patience as a fan(again).

Edited by Doc Holliday

The idea is that Kitna is the definite "okay" guy--he's signed for four years.  McCown is a high-risk high-reward gamble, signed for only two years.  They'd love for McCown to light it up and take the job from Kitna, but if he doesn't, then next year they'll draft or sign a new starter and cut Kitna loose.

Peace

policy

1449916[/snapback]

This is the same read on the situation that I have. I hope that McCown wins the job and does well.

Kitna should start, and IMO is by far the best QB on my Lions roster.

That being said, he does not have much mobility and at his age behind the line he is behind I would be suprised to see him play more than 11 games for us next year, he is bound to get knocked out or just taken out to see what McCown can do.

I was very dissappointed we passed on Ngata, but at least we stayed on the defensive side of the ball, if we would of took a QB there it would of tested my patience as a fan(again).

1451219[/snapback]

This is what i wanted to hear. A true lion fan not wanting offense. D wins championships PERIOD.