[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who is the no.1 Rookie Defensive Player

loyalboyd

yeah but all those noggin knocks he had already have to make one wonder if he will be like Dan Morgan...super stud WHEN he plays

1450157[/snapback]

What? HE NEVER missed a game while at FSU. NEVER! :D

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He wasn't running into NFL O-linemen or NFL RBs, either.

Concussions have to be factored in here.

1451298[/snapback]

Swiss, that was sarcasim by Big 10, he did miss time at FSU, but that's how he plays, he will miss time due to concussions-count on it. Once the noodle become suspectible(sp) it just is and no medicine or PT can change that fact.

Edited by PantherDave

He wasn't running into NFL O-linemen or NFL RBs, either.

Concussions have to be factored in here.

1451298[/snapback]

And what college player has? Dumb statement.

Definitely Hawk. I can't see him ending up at SLB, so he'll likely be Green Bay's MLB, or, worst-case, the WLB. Either way, he's a stud who won't have to worry about playing time.

1449857[/snapback]

As long as Ben Taylor is starting, Hawk will be the WLB. Barnett will not move outside, I keep hearing this from some, who obviously dont know Barnett has never played outside and the Pack have no intention of putting him outside. Its like moving Reggie Bush to WR. Sure he can do it, but he is better suited to play RB, and catch balls out of the backfield. Same with Barnett, he can play any LB spot, but why would you take him out of his element on every play. When Hawk played outside LB in college. Just nuts to even say hawk could be the Pack's MLB.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

As long as Ben Taylor is starting, Hawk will be the WLB.  Barnett will not move outside, I keep hearing this from some, who obviously dont know Barnett has never played outside and the Pack have no intention of putting him outside.  Its like moving Reggie Bush to WR.  Sure he can do it, but he is better suited to play RB, and catch balls out of the backfield.  Same with Barnett, he can play any LB spot, but why would you take him out of his element on every play.  When Hawk played outside LB in college. Just nuts to even say hawk could be the Pack's MLB.

1451983[/snapback]

Sarge, you're apparently way out of your realm of expertise here. :D

From the draft-day thread:

Hawk isn't a MLB? His skills translate VERY well to playing the middle. Actually, he could play any LB position. He has no real weaknesses, other than lack of elite height, which might reduce the chances of him playing on the strong side.

Barnett has never played OLB? :D He was an OLB his entire career at Oregon. In fact, he started every game at strong-side 'backer in his last two years there.

If you're just talking about pure likelihood at each position, Barnett will end up at SLB, Hawk will play the middle, and Hodge (if he starts) would play the weak side.

1444837[/snapback]

Hawk himself said after the Combine that most teams who interviewed him told him they considered him an inside linebacker.

Barnett has LOTS of experience playing SLB in college, PLUS he's always been undersized for MLB. You think just because Mike Sherman needed a MLB in the 2003 draft means that Barnett will stay in the middle forever? :D

Both Ben Taylor and Abdul Hodge can also play the middle. So, they have FOUR guys who can play the middle, with Hawk probably being the most "talented." Then, they have ONE guy with lots of experience playing SLB -- Barnett. Taylor hasn't played there before and Poppinga played DE in college. Finally, out of the the LBs who don't end up at MLB or SLB -- probably Taylor and Hodge -- either of them could play the weak side. Both of those guys can play the seek-and-tackle type of game.

For now, second-year veteran Roy Manning is No. 1 on the Green Bay Packers' depth at strong-side linebacker, according to linebackers coach Winston Moss. The Packers also will start out with A.J. Hawk playing on the weak side and Nick Barnett remaining in the middle.

Obviously, the Packers believe A.J. Hawk can be a big-play linebacker or they wouldn't have drafted him No. 1. A linebacker can make plays in the running game by striking with force and causing fumbles, or by taking on blockers and chasing backs down for tackles for losses. And it was partly Hawk's toughness and explsoiveness that sold Ted Thompson on drafting him.

But defensive coordinator Bob Sanders said he thought Hawk also had the potential to make plays as a blitzer. "He looks like he has the speed, the toughness, the athleticism to be a good blitzer," said Sanders. There's less reason to think that Hawk will make plays in coverage. Linebackers coach Winston Moss said that probably will be the toughest transition for Hawk. He has little experience in man-to-man coverage.

LINK

Sarge, you're apparently way out of your realm of expertise here. :D

From the draft-day thread:

Hawk himself said after the Combine that most teams who interviewed him told him they considered him an inside linebacker.

Barnett has LOTS of experience playing SLB in college, PLUS he's always been undersized for MLB. You think just because Mike Sherman needed a MLB in the 2003 draft means that Barnett will stay in the middle forever? :D

Both Ben Taylor and Abdul Hodge can also play the middle. So, they have FOUR guys who can play the middle, with Hawk probably being the most "talented." Then, they have ONE guy with lots of experience playing SLB -- Barnett. Taylor hasn't played there before and Poppinga played DE in college. Finally, out of the the LBs who don't end up at MLB or SLB -- probably Taylor and Hodge -- either of them could play the weak side. Both of those guys can play the seek-and-tackle type of game.

1452665[/snapback]

LMAO, Swiss Barnett played Middle Linebacker and Oregon St. Not outside, Middle. Hawk played outside LB at Ohio St, not middle, but outside. Ourlads, Footballguys, KFFL, and NFL Cheat sheets all have Hawk playing outside and Barnett in the middle. Show me any source that has Hawk in the middle for the Packers. Barnett is not moving to outside, regardless of what crap you throw out there

LMAO,  Swiss Barnett played Middle Linebacker and Oregon St.  Not outside, Middle.

1452832[/snapback]

You're wrong. If you think that's true, I'll wait for you to show me your "proof." I could provide multiple links to Barnett's bio that show how he played almost exclusively SLB there. How 'bout you just go to Google and type "Nick Barnett Oregon State" and see what happens. :D

Hawk played outside LB at Ohio St, not middle, but outside.  Ourlads, Footballguys, KFFL, and NFL Cheat sheets all have Hawk playing outside and Barnett in the middle.    Show me any source that has Hawk in the middle for the Packers.  Barnett is not moving to outside, regardless of what crap you throw out there

1452832[/snapback]

Barnett MIGHT stay in the middle. He's STILL the Packers' MLB on the depth chart. Is that your point? No, of course not. You keep saying it's a ludicrous proposition that he'll move outside. You're wrong, and the more you debate this, the less credibility you have.

Barnett MIGHT stay in the middle. He's STILL the Packers' MLB on the depth chart. Is that your point? No, of course not.  You keep saying it's a ludicrous proposition that he'll move outside. You're wrong, and the more you debate this, the less credibility you have.

1452859[/snapback]

It is a ludicrous proposition he is moved outside, when he has played his whole career inside, and Hawk has played his college career at outside. Both players are best suited the way every depth chart I can find sees them. You are saying Barnett is moving outside for Hawk. Had you not brought that up, there would be no debate. That isnt happening like I told you.

Link

Notes: High school hurdler and weightlifter. Enrolled as a linebacker in 1999 but moved to safety and played in every game, primarily on special teams. Shifted to outside linebacker in 2000, played in every game and started five games at the "Will" LB spot. Started every game at "Sam" LB position in '01. Had 44 tackles, three tackles for loss and broke up one pass in 2000. Had 73-6 with two sacks, broke up four passes with one interception in '01. Started all 13 games in '02, making 121-201-6, two forced fumbles, seven passes broken up and one blocked kick. Had a strong Combine performance, with a 6.87 three-cone and 32 reps of 225. Also showed he was intent on playing linebacker by added considerable bulk since the end of the '02 season.

People -- there's ONE "m" in "Ernie Sims."

That said, no matter how many "m"s are in his name, he's going to be a beast of a WLB for the Lions.

1450153[/snapback]

You couldnt draft a solid prospect to save yoru life which is why every IDP league you are in, has you vying for the toilet bowl every yr. But you can sure correct people on mispelled words or give so called facts about what is going to happen. When there is nothing to back up your claims. I find that hilarious.

It is a ludicrous proposition he is moved outside, when he has played his whole career inside, and Hawk has played his college career at outside.  Both players are best suited the way every depth chart I can find sees them.  You are saying Barnett is moving outside for Hawk.  Had you not brought that up, there would be no debate.  That isnt happening like I told you.

1452885[/snapback]

swiss isnt the only one that i have heard say it...and i dont think Swiss is saying anything is concrete just that the possability exsists that could happen

Link

OREGON STATE 2002 DEPTH CHART

Returning Starters in Bold

DEFENSE

DE  Noah Happe-Jr  Bill Swancutt-So

DT  Eric Manning-Sr  James Lee-Sr

DT  Dwan Edwards-Jr  Henry Anderson-Fr

DE  Dan Rothwell-Jr  Jayson Jean-Baptiste-Jr

SLB  Nick Barnett-Sr Jason Jacobs-Jr

MLB  Richard Seigler-Jr Jonathan Pollard-So

WLB  Erik Tuma-Sr  Seth Lacey-So

CB  Terrell Roberts-Sr  Aric Williams-So

CB  Dennis Weathersby-Sr  Jamaal Jackson-Fr

SS  Lawrence Turner-Jr  Shamon Jamerson-Jr

FS  Mitch Meeuwsen-So  Brandon Catenese-Jr

P  Carl Tobey-Jr John Millar-Jr

LMAO,  Swiss Barnett played Middle Linebacker and Oregon St.  Not outside,

1452832[/snapback]

:D

Edited by keggerz

Link

1452887[/snapback]

Ok so he played OLB in college, but MLB every down as an NFL player, and because Hawk also played outside LB in college, they are going to now move Barnett outside for Hawk. . Show me the logic here. Show me one source that says he is moving inside. Im not argung he didnt ever play OLB in college, but I read he played inside. We can question that source, but Ive read extensively on this very topic because I have Barnett in several leagues. Swiss has also tried to get Barnett back, after knowing GB was drafting Hawk, and has used that as a ployt to reduce the value of Barnett during those previous negotiations, which didnt work then, and it isnt working now. Barnett is not moving outside, and until I read he is from someone who has a clue, Im going to believe the sources I posted above.

swiss isnt the only one that i have heard say it...and i dont think Swiss is saying anything is concrete just that the possability exsists that could happen

1452892[/snapback]

Lets just say, I havent heard it from any credible source to date. And didnt you say that to Rajn when he was trying to deal Barnett in Fusion to Big John. Maybe you are thinking of you as someone you heard say that before.

Ok so he played OLB in college,

Im not argung he didnt ever play OLB in college,

1452900[/snapback]

but you were and it was easy enough to see, but atleast you finally did admit you had it wrong

i wont say that Barnett IS moving to SLB or WLB but I will say there is a chance that could happen and that is because of what i have read(i will try to find the link)...but you say you arent

but you were and it was easy enough to see, but atleast you finally did admit you had it wrong

i wont say that Barnett IS moving to SLB or WLB but I will say there is a chance that could happen and that is because of what i have read(i will try to find the link)...but you say you arent

1452906[/snapback]

Keg, I read a source that said he would make the perfect transition from his inside LB spot to middle linebacker for the Packers. If the source was wrong, so be it. Im not arguing that point, and never really was. I was arguing he isnt moving outside and using what I read as a reason why. Regardless, he has never played a down of SLB in the NFL, and that is what we are talking about.

Let me hear it from you now.  Are you going on record as saying he is moving to SLB for the Pack.

1452925[/snapback]

you just dont get it do you? can you read and comprehend what you read?

all i have said is that there is a POSSABILITY that a move could happen and thats it...the only one making end all and be all statements is YOU and you were dead wrong on one of those statements when you said Barnett NEVER PLAYED OUTSIDE LB