[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Grade Your Team's Draft

kpholmes

Well, Millen himself said that his "phone was ringing off the hook" with teams wanting to trade up.

1450649[/snapback]

And he didn't because......?

I got tired of the "Millen sucks" bandwagon, but he just pulled a real bonehead move in not drafting Leinert or Cutler. Does anyone really think Kitna or McCown are even semi-quality starter material? Millen just got skittish after the Harrington SNAFU. Anyway.....

COLTS

Grade: C+

This draft could easily look like anything from an A to an F by December. Addai seems a reasonable enough pick, but he has "issues" and this is one time I think Polian should have traded down (which he often does). The next 2 are good players but shrimpy, and there were easily better picks on the board IMO. Not up on the latter picks but the 7th round guy is supposed to be a good return guy, which we need.

How come you're a hugh Cutler fan all of a sudden? Maybe my memory sucks, but I thought you weren't impressed with the guy... :D

1451675[/snapback]

i may have been a bit skeptical when out of nowhere he was getting all kinds of hype, people talking about him going 3 to the titans, 4 to the jets, etc. but all along i had him ahead of leinart, and for the broncos specifically probably ahead of young as well. :D

Given that D'Qwell Jackson was taken 2.2 by the Browns, there is almost no scenario that could have had the Lions taking both Cutler and Jackson.

1451571[/snapback]

Oh. Well, see, my soon-to-be-brother-in-law and I took the opportunity to get very very drunk, so I don't remember much past the middle of the first.

But my point is the same, they could have easily moved back and gotten two good players instead of one, whether Sims was one of them or not. As I said, I love the pick of Sims. He's a great player, but of all the picks I think they handled the first one the worst, because they said "no" to value being offered to them.

peace

policy

And he didn't because......?

1451989[/snapback]

According to him, it's because in the middle of a call he just thought to himself, "why am I talking about moving? The guy we want is available and it's our turn to pick. We can't get in a better situation than that, so let's just take our guy."

:D

Peace

policy

Oh.  Well, see, my soon-to-be-brother-in-law and I took the opportunity to get very very drunk, so I don't remember much past the middle of the first.

But my point is the same, they could have easily moved back and gotten two good players instead of one, whether Sims was one of them or not.  As I said, I love the pick of Sims.  He's a great player, but of all the picks I think they handled the first one the worst, because they said "no" to value being offered to them.

peace

policy

1452223[/snapback]

Pure speculation. You, I , and nor anyone else know what was going on in that war room. To say they could have "Easily" moved down just is not right. Call Millen the idiot all you want, but even he would have moved down if he could have easily did it and still got the guy they wanted. What if they did move down and then Sims is taken by someone else? Are you telling me that they knew everything every team was going to do? I love your posts and Lions info but I just cannot believe that it was so easy. No matter what the Lions did most people would still complain.

Edited by BigTen

Pure speculation.  You, I , and nor anyone else know what was going on in that war room.  To say they could have "Easily" moved down just is not right.  Call Millen the idiot all you want, but even he would have moved down if he could have easily did it and still got the guy they wanted.

1452247[/snapback]

Are you sure? Even Millen should have known to have taken the Phins offer for Harrington, as small as it was because now he's simply going to have to cut him. This guy is not qualified and continually demonstrates how bad he is.

Pure speculation.  You, I , and nor anyone else know what was going on in that war room.  To say they could have "Easily" moved down just is not right.  Call Millen the idiot all you want, but even he would have moved down if he could have easily did it and still got the guy they wanted.  What if they did move down and then Sims is taken by someone else?  Are you telling me that they knew everything every team was going to do?  I love your posts and Lions info but I just cannot believe that it was so easy.  No matter what the Lions did most people would still complain.

1452247[/snapback]

Again, I took it from Millen who said himself that he was getting all kinds of offers. It makes plenty of sense because Denver actually did trade up to 11. And again, Sims was not the only good player available. The whole draft would not have been lost cause if we didn't land Sims.

Read what I said. I never called Millen an idiot. He got a fire-breathing SOB who was the playmaker on a defense full of playmakers. All I said was, by Millen's own admission he could have moved down, but he chose not to because he liked Sims and Sims was there. I say that Sims probably could have been had a few spots later, and EVEN IF SIMS WOULD BE GONE, the team would probably be better off with a good player other than Sims, and a low second or high third rounder to go with that other good player.

Believe you me, I am more pro-Millen and pro-Lions management than 85-90% of Lions fans in the world.

Peace

policy