[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Penn State Being Overlooked......

Menudo

I'm just curious how Ohio State loses most of their defense and had very little offense last year, but, still gets ranked in the top 5 in most polls, while PSU is being ranked in the 20's.

I guess people want PSU to prove that last year was no fluke. I'm here to tell you, it wasn't. This team is for real, and will be much better next year than they are being given credit for. I'm actually pretty pessimistic when it comes to PSU, and I was very worried about the loss of Morelli, but, after seeing him at the Blue-White game, I feel much better. This kid has a cannon and can really sling it. He is a much better passer than Robinson was. Obviously, we will still miss Robinson's scrambling ability and leadership. Other than that, the offense will be very solid. Hunt returns to lead the running attack, and with Butler, Norwood, & Williams returning, Morelli will defiitely have some weapons.

I am concerned about the D-Line and Secondary, as they will lack experience, but, they have some athletes ready to step-in. The Notre Dame game early is going to be a problem, and Ohio State on the road will be a battle, but, I think the Nittany Lions are back and ready to roll.

:D:D

I think the 5 year draught that we experienced is over too. Last year, brought a lot of new excited to State College and our recent class of new freshman should help re-stock the team with some new talent.

Glad to hear that Morelli looked good in the Spring game. :D

WE ARE....

PENN STATE... :D

I dont get this either, Penn St beat up Ohio St, and Ohio St lost everyone on defense, and S Holmes.  Penn St did lose their QB and best pass rusher though.

1452497[/snapback]

I still think it is that the pollster's want to be sure that PSU is not a one-year wonder after all of their recent struggles. In one sense, I can't blame them, but, I don't think that Penn State lost more talent than Ohio State. Perhaps the 'experts' feel that Ohio State has more talent ready to come in to replace the departures.... :D

Penn State could go either way this year. The defense should be tough as nails once again, so they will definately compete for the Big Ten title. The question clearly is the QB position. How much of a loss is Michael Robinson? He meant a lot to that offense. And I mean a LOT. Ohio State is getting the pub becasue of Troy Smith, who by the end of the year last year was one of the best qb's in the country not named Vince Young or Matt Leinart. Losing Holmes hurts, but I'm sorry, receivers like that are a dime a dozen when you are a big time football program like Ohio State. They will be very deep at running back, and Ginn is only gonna get better. It will be interesting to see how the defense does, losing all the talent they did. All I keep hearing is how athletic but young they are. We shall see. The problem they will have is the trip to Austin early on. If the young defense takes a long time to gel, then they might find themselves in a rough start. By mid season they should be rocking though.

Penn State could go either way this year. The defense should be tough as nails once again, so they will definately compete for the Big Ten title. The question clearly is the QB position. How much of a loss is Michael Robinson? He meant a lot to that offense. And I mean a LOT. Ohio State is getting the pub becasue of Troy Smith, who by the end of the year last year was one of the best qb's in the country not named Vince Young or Matt Leinart. Losing Holmes hurts, but I'm sorry, receivers like that are a dime a dozen when you are a big time football program like Ohio State. They will be very deep at running back, and Ginn is only gonna get better. It will be interesting to see how the defense does, losing all the talent they did. All I keep hearing is how athletic but young they are. We shall see. The problem they will have is the trip to Austin early on. If the young defense takes a long time to gel, then they might find themselves in a rough start. By mid season they should be rocking though.

1452920[/snapback]

Good analysis. The Big Ten, as always, should be quite interesting.

blue-white game was promising to watch. with the receivers they have, losing robinson shouldn't be a huge loss if their running backs can do well because morelli can toss. so there offense shouldn't take a huge hit except the leadership on their line as long as morelli can read as well as he throws. their secondary is probably what i consider most suspect. defensively, the linebackers will be very solid, and their d-line should remain consistent, but the secondary lost bodies and lots of leadership. they've got some athletic guys back there so hopefully than can step up.

blue-white game was promising to watch.  with the receivers they have, losing robinson shouldn't be a huge loss if their running backs can do well because morelli can toss.  so there offense shouldn't take a huge hit except the leadership on their line as long as morelli can read as well as he throws.  their secondary is probably what i consider most suspect.  defensively, the linebackers will be very solid, and their d-line should remain consistent, but the secondary lost bodies and lots of leadership.  they've got some athletic guys back there so hopefully than can step up.

1452990[/snapback]

Bingo. My two biggest areas of concern are O-Line & Secondary. Justin King will end up being a better corner than both Zemaitis and Phillips, but the rest of the secondary, though athletic, are inexperienced....this could create a HUGH problem. Also, the offensive line other than Levi Brown & Shipley are relatively inexperienced. There are definitely holes, but, with the playmakers they have on both sides of the ball, I don't see them taking too big of a step back. The optimist in me wants to say they 11-1 or 10-2 regular season, but, the realist says a slight step back at 9-3, which would still be great, as next year is the year that I really expect them to make some noise.

I'm just curious how Ohio State loses most of their defense and had very little offense last year, but, still gets ranked in the top 5 in most polls, while PSU is being ranked in the 20's.

I guess people want PSU to prove that last year was no fluke.  I'm here to tell you, it wasn't.  This team is for real, and will be much better next year than they are being given credit for.  I'm actually pretty pessimistic when it comes to PSU, and I was very worried about the loss of Morelli, but, after seeing him at the Blue-White game, I feel much better.  This kid has a cannon and can really sling it.  He is a much better passer than Robinson was.  Obviously, we will still miss Robinson's scrambling ability and leadership.  Other than that, the offense will be very solid.  Hunt returns to lead the running attack, and with Butler, Norwood, & Williams returning, Morelli will defiitely have some weapons. 

I am concerned about the D-Line and Secondary, as they will lack experience, but, they have some athletes ready to step-in.  The Notre Dame game early is going to be a problem, and Ohio State on the road will be a battle, but, I think the Nittany Lions are back and ready to roll.

1450848[/snapback]

Now I know your crazy, but are you arguing that they should be rated higher, or rated lower? :D

Now I know your crazy, but are you arguing that they should be rated higher, or rated lower? :D

1453104[/snapback]

Ohio State - Lower

Penn State - Higher

Im sorry, but Holmes was better than Ginn last yr. And without holmes to keep defense honest towards Ginn, Ginn will be doubled every play . With that frail body and .02 brain that thug is going to crack.

You cant lose 3 Dbs and all 3 LBs in the same yr, and plan to reload a defense. That just doesnt happen. Smith will have a harder time now that teams have tape of him, and can double Ginn, and put 5 DBs on the field and spy Smith. Smith is no Young who can break tackles, so a Db is enough to bring him down. I dont see OSU as a top 5 team.

Im sorry, but Holmes was better than Ginn last yr.  And without holmes to keep defense honest towards Ginn, Ginn will be doubled every play . With that frail body and .02 brain that thug is going to crack. 

You cant lose 3 Dbs and all 3 LBs in the same yr, and plan to reload a defense.  That just doesnt happen.  Smith will have a harder time now that teams have tape of him, and can double Ginn, and put 5 DBs on the field and spy Smith.  Smith is no Young who can break tackles, so a Db is enough to bring him down.  I dont see OSU as a top 5 team.

1453368[/snapback]

While I agree with everything you said about the defense, I think stopping their offense will be easier said than done. I think OSU's running game was underrated last year and that kept defenses honest of anything. Ginn didn't have close to the year he thought he was going to have last year; I look for him to turn it up this year. The guy is a playmaker and no one can tell me otherwise. When he has the ball in his hands, he is one of the most dangerous men in all of college football, end of story. OSU definitely deserves to start the season in the top 5 looking at what they did last year. I would be shocked if this team doesn't contend for a national championship. The defense, like you said Sarge, will be their weak point at first, but they will come together soon enough in my mind.

OSU definitely deserves to start the season in the top 5 looking at what they did last year. I would be shocked if this team doesn't contend for a national championship.

1453384[/snapback]

Not disagreeing with you, but, then how does Penn State deserve to be ranked in the 20's after what THEY did last year.

Penn State shutdown Ohio State's offense completely.

As for Ginn, I remember watching him in the Big 33 game when he was in High School. His talent is top-notch, but, he shows a tendency to lack focus. He did NOTHING in the PSU game last year.

Edited by Menudo

Not disagreeing with you, but, then how does Penn State deserve to be ranked in the 20's after what THEY did last year.

Penn State shutdown Ohio State's offense completely.

As for Ginn, I remember watching him in the Big 33 game when he was in High School.  His talent is top-notch, but, he shows a tendency to lack focus.  He did NOTHING in the PSU game last year.

1453601[/snapback]

I honestly don't know how many players Penn State lost. I'm thinking some of their defense is still there including Posluszny. They lost Michael Robinson which I do think is big. They also lost Tambi Hall, an amazing defensive linemen. IMO, I think Ohio State was still the better team last year. They had a bad game against PSU and their offense was still finding their groove. Penn State shoulda whipped Florida State in the Orange Bowl. Ohio State destroyed a Notre Dame team many thought could have played against Texas.

Preseason rankings are stupid either way.

1453861[/snapback]

ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. same with college basketball. all he "experts" can put the eventual champion in the top 25, but i don't remember many times when the pre-seasons looked like the final polls.

as far as this poll goes, i don't care. i hope penn state proves themselves again and get themselves as high as they should be anyway. snub? maybe. do i care? nah. and i always root for big ten schools to do well nationally so i hope ohio state is as good as they were last year, just good enough to lose to psu on september 23.

ding, ding, ding, we have a winner.  same with college basketball.  all he "experts" can put the eventual champion in the top 25, but i don't remember many times when the pre-seasons looked like the final polls.

as far as this poll goes, i don't care.  i hope penn state proves themselves again and get themselves as high as they should be anyway.  snub?  maybe.  do i care? nah.  and i always root for big ten schools to do well nationally so i hope ohio state is as good as they were last year, just good enough to lose to psu on september 23.

1454017[/snapback]

Well said..... :D

Since Tressel took over, I don't have the hatred for them that I had when that Kate Middleton Cooper was there.

you can check a big 10 review here

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?i...ht&lid=tab2pos2

OSU will put it's best offensive team on the field in over a decade, not saying much, but with an always solid D, they'll be tough to outscore this season.

Chris Wells will remind us of Eddie George and Robert Smith very soon. They lost some great defensive talent, but with solid recruiting classes, the list of LB's we have is crazy, we have all-americans on the bench waiting in the wings every year it seems.

The Lb's are once again are going to be incredible Freeman,Larinitus, D'Andre (if he can stay healty) Hobbler, "Juco" Larry Grant. The dB's are the question mark, they are very talented on paper but we shall see. Troy Smith(think better arm than Vince ) but not as good running but close. Ginn has added 10 lbs and is said to have improved his route running. Chris Wells is a "ANIMAL" and is everything advertised (George but faster) Gonzo is as fast as Ginn and has become the # 2 but we do need a 3rd to take heat off Ginn. The d-line is the best we have had since 2002 IMO. Jay Richardson is a stud. I kinda like to see how the o-line replaces Mangold and Simms. Boone is the next great if he can stay out of trouble.

Penn State/OSU have now become the big 2 in my mind for this season. I think Michigan is in for another stinker. I think it's time for Carr to go.

The Lb's are once again are going to be incredible Freeman,Larinitus, D'Andre (if he can stay healty) Hobbler, "Juco" Larry Grant. The dB's are the question mark, they are very talented on paper but we shall see. Troy Smith(think better arm than Vince ) but not as good running but close. Ginn has added 10 lbs and is said to have improved his route running. Chris Wells is a "ANIMAL" and is everything advertised (George but faster) Gonzo is as fast as Ginn and has become the # 2 but we do need a 3rd to take heat off Ginn. The d-line is the best we have had since 2002 IMO. Jay Richardson is a stud. I kinda like to see how the o-line replaces Mangold and Simms. Boone is the next great if he can stay out of trouble.

Penn State/OSU have now become the big 2 in my mind for this season. I think Michigan is in for another stinker. I think it's time for Carr to go.

1455763[/snapback]

Im sorry, but this post is amusing on so many levels, I spewed Miller lite all over my keyboard and monitor. There is no way Gonzo is as fast as Ginn, that just isnt possible. Wells is a freshman, that has a chance to be good, but come on, wasnt Clarett compared to George as well. Lets diss the analogies, George won the Hesiman my monitor. Troy Smith is closer compared to Marcus Vick then Vince Young. Smith had weapons at his disposal, that Vince never had, and still lost 2 games last yr. Troy Smith couldnt carry a team on his back, and the loss of Holmes is and was a Beast. Wells may eventually be great, but lets not jump the gun. Hell that goes for the OL, LB and DBs. Until they have played and actually done it on the field, its rediculous to say they are a stud, or future all American.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

I honestly don't know how many players Penn State lost. I'm thinking some of their defense is still there including Posluszny. They lost Michael Robinson which I do think is big. They also lost Tambi Hall, an amazing defensive linemen. IMO, I think Ohio State was still the better team last year. They had a bad game against PSU and their offense was still finding their groove. Penn State shoulda whipped Florida State in the Orange Bowl. Ohio State destroyed a Notre Dame team many thought could have played against Texas.

1453861[/snapback]

Why is that? That game seemed pretty even to me where neither offense did very much. Thought both teams played their hearts out and at no point did one look much better than the other. What surprised me about that game was even though FSU's O-line was decimated for the latter part of the season Tamba Hali was a non factor against Mario Henderson. If I remember correctly they had to have him switch sides in that game just to get some pressure.

Why is that? That game seemed pretty even to me where neither offense did very much. Thought both teams played their hearts out and at no point did one look much better than the other. What surprised me about that game was even though FSU's O-line was decimated for the latter part of the season Tamba Hali was a non factor against Mario Henderson. If I remember correctly they had to have him switch sides in that game just to get some pressure.

1458385[/snapback]

It was an evenly played game. I for one, was not overly happy with Penn State's play in that game, but, they got the win, and that was what mattered. Florida State was a tough draw, in that, they were looked at as a team that was down, but they still had a lot of talent, which made them extremely dangerous. I was worried about that game, and was proven that I had good reason to be. It was a hard-fought, well-played game.

Florida State was a team I knew could give Penn State fits, just because of there sound defensive play. And after they wiped the floor with Va Tech, people shoulda realized that FSU wasn't going to be a pushover. Did Penn State play there best game? Absolutely not. It was a great bowl game. If only the kickers played with as much heart and intensity as the rest of the teams did. Particularly the defenses.

Florida State was a team I knew could give Penn State fits, just because of there sound defensive play. And after they wiped the floor with Va Tech, people shoulda realized that  FSU wasn't going to be a pushover. Did Penn State play there best game? Absolutely not. It was a great bowl game. If only the kickers played with as much heart and intensity as the rest of the teams did. Particularly the defenses.

1458820[/snapback]

:D